Anyone using "Fuel Saver" Gadgets for your Car?

wangxiaodi

Do all these so called Fuel Saving Gadgets really works? Some of those in the market are 

shark plug.

panther plug

and some magnetic gadgets to be inserted at the fuel cable etc.

↡ Advertisement

Do all these so called Fuel Saving Gadgets really works? Some of those in the market are 

shark plug.

panther plug

i used magnets clipped onto the fuel hose in my first car........it was good for the first tank, fuel consumption improved and throttle response more instantaneous..

for subsequent tanks, the fuel economy dipped.  the throttle response still felt good...i guess once ecu remaps our driving style, the advantage is taken away.

nevertheless, i never bothered installing magnets thereafter.

my friend installed broquet, a pass through for fuel...initial feedback given by him is also good.....

i used magnets clipped onto the fuel hose in my first car........it was good for the first tank, fuel consumption improved and throttle response more instantaneous..

for subsequent tanks, the fuel economy dipped.  the throttle response still felt good...i guess once ecu remaps our driving style, the advantage is taken away.

nevertheless, i never bothered installing magnets thereafter.

my friend installed broquet, a pass through for fuel...initial feedback given by him is also good.....

i just installed that magnetic thingy too at the hose...lol. anyway...it is already spent...

just hope it is ok.

What is broquet and it is also like a clip or some magnetic gadget?

Thanks for the info.

Don't waste money lah.

Your feet is your fuel saving gadget available.

LOL True bro. Our feet the most trusted "gadget".

Supersonic

Magnet will pick up ferrous material such as carbon, steel screw.

But it will not pick up a stainless steel screw, even though it's metallic.

Now, tell me how much ferrous material is there in the fuel that's it's supposed to align ?  [laugh]

• Praise 1

No point. After the magnets been exposed to so much engine heat it will just lose all its magnetic properties.

Having a good condition alternator and car battery is a better way of maintaining good fuel efficiency.

Twincharged

i left my broquet and magnets in my previous car when i sold it ... intentionally.

1 question that my friend asked me long long time ago.

If these simple gadgets, which is relatively cheap, can help to improve the fuel economy & boost the performance, why didn't the manufacturers included them in the first place?

Twincharged

1 question that my friend asked me long long time ago.

If these simple gadgets, which is relatively cheap, can help to improve the fuel economy & boost the performance, why didn't the manufacturers included them in the first place?

Ask the same question for all the rest of the car enhancement accessories also.

Manufacturer specs are the best for regular driving.

shark plug.

panther plug

dont waste your time and money on such stuff

if you really want to save fuel:

1) maintain your car properly. eg make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended pressure etc

2) clear your car of unnecessary weight eg clear your boot of uncessary junk, dont tompang ppl, and maybe lose some weight yourself   

3) travel during off peak hours where possible eg early morning, late night

4) plan your route properly. avoid getting into jams and try not to get lost

5) get a hybrid... but with the advance in engine tech eg start stop , some non hybrid cars can match the FC of hybrids

6) Use the aircon sparingly  

last but not least ..dont drive. take public transport, walk or cycle 

Edited by Robin
  • Praise 5

Ask the same question for all the rest of the car enhancement accessories also.

Manufacturer specs are the best for regular driving.

For accessories for look & feel etc, different people will have diff preference. Understand that.

But if some simple gadgets that can improve fuel economy and boost performance without other side effect, why would anyone have any issue with that and why woudn't the manufacturer just include them since the cost is minimum?

I also have the same question for those on the shelf fuel additives. If those fuel additives really can work wonders, why didn't the petroleum company have them included also?

If you want to have a consistent fuel efficiency it's better to invest in a TPMS and a portable tire pump. Make sure the tire pressure is of the factory recommended pressure. Only pump up the tires when they are cold.

For fuel addictives, octane booster works only when your engine is turbocharged or have a high compression ratio. If your engine compression ratio is around 10:1, imo dont waste your money. As for fuel injector cleaner it only recovers your lost engine power due to carbon deposits. It doesn't boost engine performance. I'm sceptical about the 2 in 1 octane booster and fuel injector cleaner. Imo it can only be either one, not both.

Misconception: Many ppl think octane is a magic sauce, the higher the better. No. The octane "stabilizes" the air and fuel mixture when it's being compressed to a tenth of its original volume (eg. compression ratio 10:1). When petrol is compressed too high it will self burn or self ignite. When the spark plug fires its spark and the air fuel mixture is already spent this is called pre-ignition or engine knock. Your engine loses power. What the higher octane does is to "stabilize" the air and fuel mixture when it's being compressed(by the piston in the chamber), able to hold until the spark plug fires its spark.

So if using 95 octane your engine is able to perform optimally there's no need to use 98octane or higher. It's just a waste of money.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

All fuel saving gadgets are a waste of money. If you want to save fuel then buy a smaller CC car.

If cost of fuel is eating into one's livelihood then one should probably not own a car. 

Electric cars will put all these BS into redundancy. With improvements and implementation of the airless tires, the term "fuel saver" is even more useless in the coming future.

Edited by Watwheels

If you want to have a consistent fuel efficiency it's better to invest in a TPMS and a portable tire pump. Make sure the tire pressure is of the factory recommended pressure. Only pump up the tires when they are cold.

For fuel addictives, octane booster works only when your engine is turbocharged or have a high compression ratio. If your engine compression ratio is around 10:1, imo dont waste your money. As for fuel injector cleaner it only recovers your lost engine power due to carbon deposits. It doesn't boost engine performance. I'm sceptical about the 2 in 1 octane booster and fuel injector cleaner. Imo it can only be either one, not both.

Misconception: Many ppl think octane is a magic sauce, the higher the better. No. The octane "stabilizes" the air and fuel mixture when it's being compressed to a tenth of its original volume (eg. compression ratio 10:1). When petrol is compressed too high it will self burn or self ignite. When the spark plug fires its spark and the air fuel mixture is already spent this is called pre-ignition or engine knock. Your engine loses power. What the higher octane does is to "stabilize" the air and fuel mixture when it's being compressed(by the piston in the chamber), able to hold until the spark plug fires its spark.

So if using 95 octane your engine is able to perform optimally there's no need to use 98octane or higher. It's just a waste of money.

Not entirely true Octane no effect on NA cars. Higher octane fuel allows the ignition timing to be advanced, i.e. Earlier ignition without knocking (akin to higher compression). This is associated with more HP and better efficiency. To a certain extent of course.

In Singapore, 98 fuel are taxed much more, so not worth the better consumption. I just stick to 95 and Rev more!

Edited by Volvobrick
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2