3 singaporeans picked for WWE tryouts

StreetFight3r

SINGAPORE - It's the stuff of dreams. Growing up and watching colourful, larger-than-life wrestlers like The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin and Chris Jericho beat up their opponents on television was a ritual for many kids in Singapore.

Now for three Singaporeans, this could soon be reality. Andruew Tang, Sean "Trexxus" Tan and Lee Xin Yi were recently invited by WWE for tryouts in Shanghai.

The trio are mainstays from home-grown wrestling promotion Singapore Pro Wrestling (SPW).

They were among the 40 athletes handpicked from Asian countries including China, Thailand, the Philippines and Japan to attend the four-day trial. Those selected will win a coveted WWE developmental contract.

Tang, 30, who helped co-found SPW in 2012, has been wrestling for seven years.

Better known by his in-ring moniker "The Statement", Tang said, "It was crazy. It was very surreal to see head coach Matt Bloom (better known to fans as A-Train) in the ring giving advice to trainees. There were so many things to learn during the tryouts."

With an opportunity of a lifetime at stake, there was little room for error. Attendees were put through multiple exercise drills, both indoors and outdoors, and were also shown the ropes in the ring.

Tan, 23, who stands at 1.83m tall, said, "It was really fun. It really gave us the chance to understand what it's like to be a WWE superstar. For me, I enjoyed it very much because being in the ring is my passion."

FIRST LOCAL FEMALE WRESTLER

Dubbed Singapore's first female pro-wrestler, Lee, 24, is better known as Alexis Lee in the squared circle.

Overcoming parental objections was something she had to deal with since she started wrestling in 2013.

"My parents still object to it. Sadly, they did not want me to do it. But now they have new found respect for Andruew, Trexxus and I," said Lee, who's just completed her degree in international business management.

Tang, who has wrestled in 11 countries to date, is optimistic about his chances of making the cut. "I did my best. I think I stand a pretty good chance."

Tan is more modest. "I don't want to keep my hopes up too high. I would rather not think about it," he said.

post-141090-0-06176300-1565084700_thumb.jpg

post-141090-0-78665400-1565084768_thumb.jpg

Edited by StreetFight3r
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

the faces they make abit cmi though. wwe equals make funny faces?

Hahaha just pose for camera mah

Better than me

Bui bui fail ippt :XD:

Turbocharged

Why no Steven Lim? [laugh]

The tall guy got chance and still young. Can match ang moh wrestler if he lives, eats and trains there.

The shorter fellow I don't think can make the cut ... like 1.6 m only?

WWE, no 6 footer, no talk. All the other wrestlers will tower over him.

• Praise 3

Eh, where's Kurt Tay aka Dude with Boobs?

Want to become singer, cmi.

Want to become charboh, cmi.

Want to become wrestler, cmi.

Ke lian.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Wrestling is really putting your body on the line for entertainment. Most of the WWE wrestlers get addicted to painkillers to get through the pain of doing so many shows.

Many of them are on steroids to maintain that muscle mass as well.

It's not the healthiest environment. Only the mega stars can sorta escape it. Like the Rock and the other guy.

When u get an injury then need to quickly get back or risk your contract being terminated, it becomes vicious cycle.

It's like being a movie stuntman but u work so many shows in one year. No chance to recover.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

Wrestling is really putting your body on the line for entertainment. Most of the WWE wrestlers get addicted to painkillers to get through the pain of doing so many shows.

It's not the healthiest environment. Only the mega stars can sorta escape it. Like the Rock and the other guy.

When u get an injury then need to quickly get back or risk your contract being terminated, it becomes vicious cycle.

It's like being a movie stuntman but u work so many shows in one year. No chance to recover.

Ang moh eat painkiller and anti depressants like we eat vitamins
  • Praise 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8UQ4O7UiDs

Yes. I watched this.

Also u can see DDP's interview with joe rogan.

He's a positive guy and made a 2nd career out of this. But at one point, his body was wrecked. Also he came from a time, when wrestling wasn't really 24-7. They do like 2 shows a week. Now i think WWE has like several shows a week. Other than Monday night Raw and the wkend shows.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Bs56G9KAQ[/media]

He helped Jake the Snake also to recover from his injuries.

Edited by Lala81

Why no Steven Lim? [laugh]

The tall guy got chance and still young. Can match ang moh wrestler if he lives, eats and trains there.

The shorter fellow I don't think can make the cut ... like 1.6 m only?

WWE, no 6 footer, no talk. All the other wrestlers will tower over him.

The short guy is even shorter than the girl.

Tough for him.

Even Rey Mysterio is taller than him

And in the ring, Rey already looks like a midget.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Tough for him.

WWE has a segment call the 205 for shorter competitors

Turbocharged

Tough for him.

Oh well, never say never. Thought there was a short NBA player? Quite good, if I recall.

↡ Advertisement