Largest FairPrice Xtra hypermarket opens at VivoCity

therock

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/largest-ntuc-xtra-hypermarket-and-unity-pharmacy-opens-at-vivocity

Good news!

I'm gonna go once I have time.. i'm a grocery man... it's very calming walking down these aisles... 

SINGAPORE - FairPrice officially opened its largest FairPrice Xtra hypermarket at VivoCity on Tuesday (Aug 6).

Spanning over 90,000 square feet, the supermarket takes on two floors of the mall, carrying over 35,000 products and includes over 350 local brands. It also houses a Unity pharmacy outlet.

Minister for Trade and Industry Chan Chun Sing, who officiated the opening, said: "I am very proud that NTUC FairPrice has set aside a special corner for our local enterprises to share and promote their brands in this store. This is one of the best locations besides Changi Airport for us to promote our local brands and give them a chance to succeed."

Urban farming company ComCrop is one local brand which has its products sold at the supermarket.

ComCrop has been supplying FairPrice outlets with its hydroponic vegetables for eight months, but the new store is the first to install one of ComCrop's small indoor hydroponic farms, which grows plants without using soil.

Mr Allan Lim, the 47-year-old chairman of ComCrop, said: "When FairPrice approached us and asked if they could have an indoor farm, we thought it was a great idea because we want to educate Singaporeans about hydroponics.

"It is important that we drive the message that hydroponics is cleaner, better and more nutritious and sustainable through this collaboration."

The VivoCity FairPrice Xtra outlet offers food preparation services where vegetables, meat and seafood can be processed and prepared. It also includes dine-in areas where customers can pick their choice of seafood or meat cuts and have them cooked to eat in the store.

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 14

I was there last week see look a bit only, no time to walk through the whole store, but find this xtra many things to see.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 2

I went there a few days ago! It's really damn big, and, if you spend more than $10 at the dine in area (get some sushi etc), you get a free ice cream!

• Praise 9

A place to eat, shop and meet up!

BTW, Vivo offers rebates on parking each time you spend..

I like Vivo.. it's big, so it does not appear too crowded, has a huge variety, and there's good food as well as good shopping.

Now with the cinema, the new library, (great views) and this NTUC, it's really great to hang out..

Imagine Watertown Punggol but in the South, and bigger... sweet..

• Praise 1

knn, can't even do their proper job as a union and wanna branch out to do so many other things.

puii.

• Praise 1

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/fairprice-xtra-vivocity-largest-hypermart-pharmacy-11785812

SINGAPORE: NTUC FairPrice on Tuesday (Aug 6) launched its largest supermarket and pharmacy yet, featuring new retail concepts like a food preparation service and in-store vegetable harvesting, in a bid to compete with online grocers. 

The supermarket chain said that the FairPrice Xtra outlet at VivoCity offers a new take on traditional brick-and-mortar shopping, which was its way of responding to the changing needs and behaviour of customers, and staying relevant. 

“We noticed ... that our customers are changing … the needs, the wants and the lifestyles that they lead,” said deputy CEO Elaine Heng.

For example, customers who are time-starved can take advantage of the food preparation service at FairPrice Xtra, which allows them to pick from an assortment of vegetables in-store and get them cut, sliced or diced at no charge. 

Patrons can also choose their meat and seafood, and have them either pre-marinated or grilled in-store for immediate consumption.

On the back of Singapore’s push to grow its urban agriculture industry and to increase its food sustainability efforts, the outlet also dedicated a space to showcase how indoor hydroponics farming works. 

READ: Singapore aims to produce 30% of its nutritional needs by 2030, up from less than 10%

“More and more Singaporeans will be eating hydroponics-grown vegetables and I think it is a good job to be here trying to educate them and giving them a sense of what the future would look like,” chairman of Comcrop Allan Lim said.

Eight varieties of vegetables are grown in the showcase, with a total yield of up to 3kg. Mr Lim said his workers visit the store once every two days to harvest the vegetables for sale, with additional supply of crops being sent from the Comcrop’s rooftop greenhouses in Woodlands.

The new 90,000 sq ft retail space also carries more than 35,000 products from all over the world.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/fairprice-xtra-vivocity-largest-hypermart-pharmacy-11785812

I like Vivo.. it's big, so it does not appear too crowded, has a huge variety, and there's good food as well as good shopping.

Now with the cinema, the new library, (great views) and this NTUC, it's really great to hang out..

This is why vivo until today is still so crowded with people.

side track abit.. NTUC AMK Hub selling TYRES!

I was shocked! [hur]

Tyres road show or permanently selling there ah?

I was shocked! [hur]

2 weeks ago IMM Giant also selling tyres, was a Autobacs roadshow.

• Praise 1

Come.. MU there.. @angcheek, you also there right?

• Praise 5

My friend took 30mins to enter the carpark on Sat evening.

That's sweet too.  [laugh]

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

I was shocked! [hur]

Tyres were sold at Giant Tampines too, bu just for a short while. May be no people bought!

• Praise 2

If Giant couldn't make it, I wonder if Fair price can. I think this is a risky foray. Doing the same thing the same way doesn't get you different results.

• Praise 2