Largest FairPrice Xtra hypermarket opens at VivoCity

therock

I finally braved the crowds and it was worth it. 

Really 包罗万象,应有尽有

the variety is amazing and despite the crowds, there were enough cashiers

you can really find a lot of interesting items there 👍 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Giant is closing down everywhere.

Once a anchor tenant in parkway and now is history.

Making money is more important than seeing out the rights of workers, not that they are effective in the first place. 

Wow wow.... 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

Making money is more important than seeing out the rights of workers, not that they are effective in the first place. 

Wow wow.... 

Huh? Giant Parkway Parade closing? Where's the news link? I often go there one.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, PSP415 said:

Safe ride

Cheers

I just bought something there last Sun and it was occupying the same space, which is half the size of 1 floor of pp, as it had since 2012. I also don't know where is the change hamburger spoke about 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

Wow wow.... 

Parkway Giant also shuttered down now?

Less people shop there after the MRT construction started. Bad traffic most of the time and not much differentiation from other supermarkets.

Hypernart difference from supermarket is non groceries stuff like bicycle, apparels, TV, other small electrical appliances.

Who actually buys TV at hypermarket?

Think more people are buying sports and leisure stuff at Decathlon. 

So maybe business not too good for Giant Parkway. 

If Giant really pulls out, the new tenant should really be showing what more they can offer to consumer.

Giant has closed outlets at the Turf City, Vivo City and PP? Even the hyper mart at Tampines does not look good nowadays. It seems to be shrinking!

• Praise 1

Only few things I still like about giant hypermart at Tampines nowadays...

free parking 

cheap croissant 

At the foodcourt

mala (cheapest I can find beside People’s park complex and NP) 

steam dumpling 

yong tao fu 

used to have a stall that sell fantastic tohu goreng...

• Praise 3

On 8/9/2019 at 12:19 PM, Atonchia said:

They have been bleeding since took over Shop N Save.

Vivo city definitely was the most revenue generating outlet. Probably let go due to lease renewal.

Giant also let go of Grandstand.

Now taken over by Hao Mart

I think Giant is losing $.  Heard from some malaysians that many Giant and cold storage supermarkets have been shut in KL.  

Actually Giant Vivo was one of my favourite hypermart before its closure.  It had so many things. Sad to see it close.

• Praise 5

2 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Wow wow.... 

Huh!  Parkway one also closing soon?  Aiyo!

The online portals are killing the stores.

If you only sell on the basis of cheap, it will be hard to get the same margins. 
That's why NTUC Vivo is so interesting. It's more than a place to get some groceries and run. It's also a lifestyle place and it's going to be one of the big beneficiaries of the new GSW. 

But when that comes up, I expect there will be a Vivo 2 or something, maybe further down at the power station area... 

2 hours ago, PSP415 said:

Safe ride

Cheers

Sorry I was too quick there. I meant I was told the lease is up before the year end.

Still there in parkway parade.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, therock said:

The online portals are killing the stores.

If you only sell on the basis of cheap, it will be hard to get the same margins. 
That's why NTUC Vivo is so interesting. It's more than a place to get some groceries and run. It's also a lifestyle place and it's going to be one of the big beneficiaries of the new GSW. 

But when that comes up, I expect there will be a Vivo 2 or something, maybe further down at the power station area... 

Agree the Vivo store is different on it's on. 

Rather than just a place to pick up merchandise.

It's also a one stop shop for bicycles.

Learn to grow or buy herbs for garnishing.

Chef prepared meal with fresh ingredients.

These are experiential stuff where ecommerce cannot replicate. 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Dleodleo said:

I think Giant is losing $.  Heard from some malaysians that many Giant and cold storage supermarkets have been shut in KL.  

Actually Giant Vivo was one of my favourite hypermart before its closure.  It had so many things. Sad to see it close.

Giant also losing stores in MY?

I thought only SG biz was bad. 

• Praise 1

On 8/9/2019 at 1:33 PM, Jamesc said:

I don't understand all these supermarkets getting bigger and bigger and becoming hypermarkets.

With online surely less people are going to the supermarkets.

You want to buy a 10 kg bag of rice you drive to the supermarket find a parking lot buy the 10 kg rice

carry it to the car park and lift it into your boot.

Drive home and carry the 10 kg of rice from the car and  up all the way to your flat with all the other

bags of groceries.

Might as well have it delivered.

So if more people are buying online who need gigantic space hypermarkets?

Beside to just walk around to enjoy the aircon on a hot day of course.

:D

At supermarket can see see  touch touch feel feel  the rice maybe that's why 😁

• Praise 4

On 8/9/2019 at 1:33 PM, Jamesc said:

I don't understand all these supermarkets getting bigger and bigger and becoming hypermarkets.

With online surely less people are going to the supermarkets.

You want to buy a 10 kg bag of rice you drive to the supermarket find a parking lot buy the 10 kg rice

carry it to the car park and lift it into your boot.

Drive home and carry the 10 kg of rice from the car and  up all the way to your flat with all the other

bags of groceries.

Might as well have it delivered.

So if more people are buying online who need gigantic space hypermarkets?

Beside to just walk around to enjoy the aircon on a hot day of course.

:D

Different bro...

The online segment has killed a lot of retail stores as well as B&M shopfronts. The small NTUC joints spread throughout heartland Singapore are the replacement for the old 'mama' shops. These will satisfy those who aren't keen on ordering online for that 10kg of rice.

The larger stores are a bit different and this is something I feel NTUC has got it right. As I mentioned in a post above, Giant was trying to do the cheap, big and large volume type of retail and you have many alternatives to that online who will deliver. 

Not long ago, you must drive down, park and shop. If you don't have a car, good luck because it meant lugging some groceries home on a bus/train. Not ideal. Now, they do after hours delivery and I just got something delivered late evening. Very convenient.

But sometimes you want to showcase some slightly more exotic stuff. Higher margin and yield. Coffee beans from South America, fancy tea etc. And the distributors are willing to pay to display their wares. 

And we still have customers who like to touch, feel and get out of their homes. Not for the rice, but for the bikes, the other stuff that aren't repeat purchases week in, week out. And I'm grateful for the various Xtra, Finest, and even the Jasons etc. They allow me to try new stuff, maybe a bit more expensive but fun.

Did you know Cold Storage at Plaza Singapura has sugar free A&W? Cool right? Or lobster bisque - feels a little higher in SES than just Campbells chicken soup all the time.. 

I really hope the B&M shops survive because I'm a grocery aunty.... 🙂 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1