Road trip from Singapore to Bangkok (2019)

Adrianli

I pumped 2 full tanks of VPower Racing to flush away the residual mixture of Gasohol 95 & Benzine.

U also drive up thailand? 

Looks like more n more of us r venturing up north north, bravo to u guys.

Hope i do mine soon  [laugh] ..

↡ Advertisement

Gasohol 95 is diff from ron95??

Yes, different. Gasohol 95 has 10% ethanol additive. Ethanol is very corrosive.

• Praise 4

A friend advised me not to use Gasohol 95 for my twin power turbo as it can corrode its valve or something.

U also drive up thailand?

Looks like more n more of us r venturing up north north, bravo to u guys.

Hope i do mine soon [laugh] ..

Been driving to Thailand 1-2x yearly for close to 10 yrs already.
  • Praise 3

very corrosive in higher concentrations but there are people using E85 (with suitable mods)

E10 usually ok. I haven't had to try E20.

the Thai vehicles don't have much of a choice but their vehicles are still running around

• Praise 1

I pumped 2 full tanks of VPower Racing to flush away the residual mixture of Gasohol 95 & Benzine.

wah... which brand gasoline got add benzene?

wah... which brand gasoline got add benzene?

ð±ð

PTT in Thailand. Look out for light yellow signage. Not all stations have it, probably becos it is abt 10 bahts more per litre, approx BHT37.35/litre. That's why I have mixture of both Gasohol 95 & Benzine in my tank (couldn't find station that sells Benzine, no choice but to top up with a little Gasohol 95 until I find it at some other stations).

Edited by TameDriver
  • Praise 2

Thanks for the excellent trip review and all the useful tips! After reading it, I am very itchy to have my own go-north road trip. [laugh]

Wish you good luck for your career change. Hope to see more trips from you like this. Go beyond BKK! 

• Praise 1

A friend advised me not to use Gasohol 95 for my twin power turbo as it can corrode its valve or something.

Been driving to Thailand 1-2x yearly for close to 10 yrs already.

Great! TameDriver can really go far! [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

3 years ago. My car was due for scrap, I wanted to do that (drive to Thailand) and give the car one last lap of honour before retirement. Alas, someone offered to buy the car for COE extension and I lost that chance.

• Praise 1

Good read with references.

Like you, I enjoyed road trip up north and have made several trips to Malacca and once to PD and Kuantan.

Diatance wise is nothing comparable to yours, lol.

But hey, its a total different experienced one could possibly get.

Cheers

• Praise 2

Your trip up BKK reminds me of my January road trip up Mae Sai, Chiang Rai, but you are going much faster then me, 140-160kmh, 2 stops?

Read your encounter with TP there before BKK, during my return leg near BKK, me too was surrounded by 5-6 hostile plain clothes during my pitstop until they realise Im on road trip then they relax down. Jan was their General Election.

Did once many years ago in 9hrs Hatyai, now averaging 11-12hrs.

December planning another trip up, this time will cover east thailand, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon down Surin, any plan to form a convoy??? will be driving the same 15yrs old civic up.😊

• Praise 4

5 minutes ago, KaKiLang said:

Your trip up BKK reminds me of my January road trip up Mae Sai, Chiang Rai, but you are going much faster then me, 140-160kmh, 2 stops?

Read your encounter with TP there before BKK, during my return leg near BKK, me too was surrounded by 5-6 hostile plain clothes during my pitstop until they realise Im on road trip then they relax down. Jan was their General Election.

December planning another trip up, this time will cover east thailand, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon down Surin, any plan to form a convoy??? will be driving the same 15yrs old civic up.😊

we might have crossed paths in Jan/Feb. I went to Pu chi fa, Mae Sai, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Mae Sot over that period.

Anything interesting in East Thai? I had considered going there but didn't think its worth going that direction unless crossing over to Cambodia too.

If you have any ideas, pls do share. I usually read Lonely Planet (Thai) only when on flights to gain inspiration LOL

• Praise 1

On 8/12/2019 at 11:32 PM, TameDriver said:

PTT in Thailand. Look out for light yellow signage. Not all stations have it, probably becos it is abt 10 bahts more per litre, approx BHT37.35/litre. That's why I have mixture of both Gasohol 95 & Benzine in my tank (couldn't find station that sells Benzine, no choice but to top up with a little Gasohol 95 until I find it at some other stations).

Tod benzene is not good for the injection? I only fuel up Esso, PTT and Shell, claimed theres no benzene added, the pump attendant keep telling me "no benzene".

IMG-20190120-WA0025.jpg

• Praise 2

56 minutes ago, JohnSHL said:

we might have crossed paths in Jan/Feb. I went to Pu chi fa, Mae Sai, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Mae Sot over that period.

Anything interesting in East Thai? I had considered going there but didn't think its worth going that direction unless crossing over to Cambodia too.

If you have any ideas, pls do share. I usually read Lonely Planet (Thai) only when on flights to gain inspiration LOL

I miss Mae Hong Song Loop, intention to visit the long neck tribe but last minute detour up Mae Sai, crossing over to Tachileik, Myanmar, down Phu Chi Fa, Phrae, Nan, will do another north before my civic goes to the graveyard.

Need proper paper to cross Cambodia, my FWD wont make it. Road trip up Thailand has become a Malacca trip for me.😂 My Jan trip was 16th for me, 10th for this 15yrs old civic.

Maybe I should post my last blog on a new thread, to encourage those still dragging their feet to go beyond.

Edited by KaKiLang
  • Praise 5

9 hours ago, KaKiLang said:

Ya, driving at 160 - 180kmh on straights and cornering at 100 - 130kmh which those hilux and turbo trucks chicken out in Thailand.

Unable to convoy anywhere anytime in the next few years. No more long road trips for me for the time being. Also have already sold my trusty workhorse.😢

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, KaKiLang said:

Tod benzene is not good for the injection? I only fuel up Esso, PTT and Shell, claimed theres no benzene added, the pump attendant keep telling me "no benzene".

IMG-20190120-WA0025.jpg

The grade with benzene is higher octane & reduces knocking, but rather costly by their standard, hence, not many stations have it. Even those with the roadside signage can sometimes leave the benzine pumps empty because of low demand for it. 

Your pump attendant's "no benzene" could be reassuring you that he/she's not giving u the more expensive fuel. 

• Praise 2

I can't wait to read your trip to Thailand or Myanmar. Please go ahead and post it. Singapore is really too small for a proper car. 😂We need to go beyond the borders. 

13 hours ago, KaKiLang said:

I miss Mae Hong Song Loop, intention to visit the long neck tribe but last minute detour up Mae Sai, crossing over to Tachileik, Myanmar, down Phu Chi Fa, Phrae, Nan, will do another north before my civic goes to the graveyard.

Need proper paper to cross Cambodia, my FWD wont make it. Road trip up Thailand has become a Malacca trip for me.😂 My Jan trip was 16th for me, 10th for this 15yrs old civic.

Maybe I should post my last blog on a new thread, to encourage those still dragging their feet to go beyond.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2