Yay or Nay to latest Majulah Singapura's rendition?

StreetFight3r

Ramli Sarip's rendition of the National Anthem has been criticized for sounding like a song you'll hear while attending a funeral.   

24 members have voted

1. 1. Funeral Song?

• Yes
    • No

Singer Ramli Sarip the target of racist comments for ‘funeral’ version of Singapore’s national anthem 'Majulah Singapura'

post-141090-0-24737700-1565237001_thumb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALRSqIc5qHM

Wad are ur thoughts? Like funeral song or not? i dun understand wad's racist abt it...

Rocker Datuk Ramli Sarip’s rendition of Singapore’s national anthem Majulah Singapura is not going down well with his fellow countrymen. The 66-year-old rock star beloved here and and at home across the Causeway, also known as “Papa Rock” and “Malaysia’s King of Rock”, recently belted out a more sombre version of the song during rehearsals for the National Day Parade that drew ire from Singaporeans on popular tech forum HardwareZone. Several users criticised his singing skills and dished out racist remarks in their scathing reviews of his performance. “if you are singing it this way, we might as well half-mast the flag,” wrote darksiedluv. “Limpei (slang for referring to oneself in a superior manner) can sing national anthem better than this Malay ahpek,” said Rainowar. “Why is he singing like it’s some praying song in a mosque?” wrote testart.

A number of users claim that Ramli should be arrested for violating the Singapore Arms and Flag and National Anthem Act by performing a “funeral-like” arrangement of the song. However, others came to the rocker’s defense saying that downtempo rearrangements of Majulah Singapura were not new and were previously well-received by the public, citing an acapella version by The Apex Project and a heartfelt rendition by singer Priscilla Chan as evidence. Ramli who is credited as one of the founders of Singapore’s rock scene, was frontman and lead singer of the rock group Sweet Charity until 1986.

Edited by StreetFight3r
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The same article went viral in a bad way in MSia.

Kindly steer clear of any racist connotations when discussing this

I am watching

• Praise 5

Sounds pretty ok to me. Not the usual version. But nothing wrong.

When i attended CR3, it was just normal singing though i could be mistakened.

Was paying more attention to my kids singing.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Sounds pretty ok to me. Not the usual version. But nothing wrong.

When i attended CR3, it was just normal singing though i could be mistakened.

Was paying more attention to my kids singing.

sounds okie to me too.. dun understand wads the commotion abt? haven read hwz oso.. 

I think hwz si ginah always like to comment to stir stuff up lah.

I mean it's true it's nothing very special about the singing but this man is in his 60s, cant expect his vocal cords to be the same processed sound coming out of a studio.

I mean as long as the majulah singapura not coming out to a hiphop beat, can lah  [laugh]

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

I mean it's true it's nothing very special about the singing but this man is in his 60s, cant expect his vocal cords to be the same processed sound coming out of a studio.

yah...all the crap came from them

Those who criticise write new song lo. Let ppl compare and criticise too.

Talk no need music talent wan. If so talented, show us,  write and compose new song and post on Youtube.

• Praise 1

Personally, not a fan of this rendition of our national anthem, but I disagree with the name calling / racist stuff.

Then again, hwz / edmw has a different crowd from mcf. I would say that hwz / edmw is a cesspool of the worst of Singaporeans, and it seems loosely, if at all moderated. It's the same type of comments you see on ST's FB page, etc..

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Those sinkies got nothing better to do. Ask them come out and sing a better one lah. knn

• Praise 1

I mean as long as the majulah singapura not coming out to a hiphop beat, can lah  [laugh]

not saying theres a bad thread abt the national anthem on hwz but usually if there is shouldnt expect anything good. thou this time round think its mainly the malaysian media. his singing is just normal. n also theres a confusion abt whether he is singaporean or msian. he is a singaporean but famous across both side of the causeway.

i agree its a not-so-good rendition. Pakcik Sarip has clearly lost his voice .................. 

but it has nothing to do with Malay or Chinese. The one who say Malay uncle is probably just describing uncle race. Nothing much. 

REMEMBER (IMO) !!! No one can feel they are discriminated except oneself. Anyone make a racist comment, just walk away lor. I mean, com'on, you wanna argue with a racist ? no right ? 

• Praise 3

Me thinks he is kool ..... good talent.... nation now 54 ageing, like him but he got gusto in him and the young ones following his singing nice too

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 7

...and I thought I heard band music for funeral this morning... but where got dead one get send off at 730am one?

It came from the school ND celebration nearby...

...and I thought I heard band music for funeral this morning... but where got dead one get send off at 730am one?

It came from the school ND celebration nearby...

Diff time zone
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Nowadays ppl beri sensitive

If say this version no sound good, some ppl will say racist coz sang by minority

If say this version good, some ppl will say smlj tone deaf ah

Better stick to the official version released by Ministry of Communication n dun be 'creative'

↡ Advertisement