Do You Mod Your car?

wangxiaodi

I think he mean the Tyres,low profile.

Yes. The tyre noise when on road is very visible..makes u more conscious of any unevenness on the road surface..
↡ Advertisement

No Mod is best Mod....

If really want to Mod, then improve your brakes and use good tyres.

Do regular service and maintenance.

If still have spare cash, send for polishing and waxing more often to protect your paint work.

Your car sure can last for another round of COE after 2 years...

• Praise 1

Anyone mod your cars? With spoiler, body kits, new rims. Etc?

i do,

rims, aesthetic stuff, turbo muffler delete, still contemplating ecu tuning 

any concerns u have?

Since we are on this topic, what is a real mod on a car? Performance definitely is. Aesthetics also is but to what extent? Stickers? Wheels? Bodykit?

For me I wouldn't dare say I modded my ride with bodykit and light weight wheels. To me it sounds just so wrong.

maybe ''modify'' means different thing to different ppl?

i would think changing bodykit is already modifying. lightweight wheel can also give u small performance gains in terms of fc and acceleration

big or small change still changing haha. of cos, remove c180 and put c63 is not modding

• Praise 2

I did some mod on my previous car. It has a 1.4L TC engine(Chevy Orlando). So I thought it was worth doing it.

I DIY most of the way. I didn't chronicle all of the stuff. Only took a few pics. But it isn't rocket science. Most can be found online.

First thing I did was to get the RaceChip Ultimate. There were no distributor back then so I emailed the HQ about the car model and engine and they told me what is suitable. I had it shipped from Germany. UPS delivered it and I had to pay GST of around 80 bucks.

post-18163-0-82694300-1565666425_thumb.jpeg

I later moved it to inbetween the engine bay and windscreen cos I find it too hot to have it placed in the engine bay.

This chip made a difference. It's not like a throttle signal booster although the company sells it too. It's connected to the MAP sensor or "Turbo" sensor (this wan AD told me one). LoL...

I felt it can do more if I "liberated" the air intake.

Next I ordered the K&N open pod from amazon. This fits the Cruze but I had it modified to suit my car. The silicone hose and clamps I got it from amazon. The elbow stainless steel pipe I got it locally. Sad to say this kit's quality is poor. Some of its parts disintegrated rather quickly but it's not a problem for me.

post-18163-0-02943500-1565666863_thumb.jpeg

post-18163-0-19180900-1565666877_thumb.jpeg

I later had the cone filter replaced with a non-oily piece cos the oil messed up both the MAS sensor and MAP sensor. I order from amazon a similar but different brand (aFE) that could fit. The K&N dry filter is also crap quality. The elastic band losen due to exposure of heat. "Made in America". Meh...

Other than the psst psst sound every time I release the gas pedal it does perform a lot better than the restrictive stock air box. It is so responsive to throttle input. When I disconnect the RC it's back to meh.... I wanted to see how different the performance if I use just the air intake. So the RC and air intake actually work well together. Power upgrade isn't say significant like upgrading to a bigger size turbo but it's much more fun to drive.

I have ups and downs doing the DIY. Sometimes I realised some things actually leads to more issues. Like the modified air intake is sucking/moving more "gunk" from the PCV return hose to the air intake system>turbo>inter-cooler>intake manifold?MAP sensor?throttle body. So I had to remove one end of the PCV hose and put a plug on the intake to act as a stopper. I also remove some of the rubber insulation under the hood to try to let in more cooling air. The engine bay when it's soaked with heat it's sucking in a lot of hot air and it affects the performance.

I learned a lot from the DIY process. I did a lot of reading online before I did the mods. It helps. I also replaced a lot of the MAP sensors as a lot of the performance consistency depends on it. Sometimes AD replace for me under warranty. Sometimes I replace it on my own. MAS sensor I only replace it once. Both are cheap on amazon.

But overall the car is the one that suprised me most. It took much of my abuse. Of course AD did the maintainance well too. They gave me 5 years warranty. So I respect it by reverting back to stock whenever I send it in. LoL... But I think they know lah. Once they plug in the diagnostics will tell a lot. I tried my best not to overheat the engine under any circumstances. That's most important. I had fun and learned a lot. Putting what I read into what I did. It's the journey that was fun and somewhat fulfilling. What's myth and what works.

After the 5 years I traded in the car for a new car with a NA engine. Haha...

I dont like the fact that the car's performance is so dependant on the MAP sensor. According to AD it's also part of wear & tear for this component. In other words it has a lifespan.

It was fun to DIY. Power wise it's not like an upgraded turbo. The factory limited boost is still there to keep the engine reliable. FC wise I dont think it affected much cos it's not a big power upgrade. The stock brakes and chassis were good enough to handle it. There's a limit on what I can do on my own w/o the use of a car workshop.

• Praise 11

maybe ''modify'' means different thing to different ppl?

i would think changing bodykit is already modifying. lightweight wheel can also give u small performance gains in terms of fc and acceleration

big or small change still changing haha. of cos, remove c180 and put c63 is not modding

Ah true. Different levels of modifications.

Modding the C63 emblems should be modifying also Ma. Change the looks of the ride with the new emblem.

Ah true. Different levels of modifications.

Modding the C63 emblems should be modifying also Ma. Change the looks of the ride with the new emblem.

the mod is too small but true, still a mod

some feel changing badge is ok, to me is big no-no

most importantly, mod already happy then good la

I did some mod on my previous car. It has a 1.4L TC engine(Chevy Orlando). So I thought it was worth doing it.

I DIY most of the way. I didn't chronicle all of the stuff. Only took a few pics. But it isn't rocket science. Most can be found online.

First thing I did was to get the RaceChip Ultimate. There were no distributor back then so I emailed the HQ about the car model and engine and they told me what is suitable. I had it shipped from Germany. UPS delivered it and I had to pay GST of around 80 bucks.

attachicon.gifRaceChip Ultimate.jpeg

I later moved it to inbetween the engine bay and windscreen cos I find it too hot to have it placed in the engine bay.

This chip made a difference. It's not like a throttle signal booster although the company sells it too. It's connected to the MAP sensor or "Turbo" sensor (this wan AD told me one). LoL...

I felt it can do more if I "liberated" the air intake.

Next I ordered the K&N open pod from amazon. This fits the Cruze but I had it modified to suit my car. The silicone hose and clamps I got it from amazon. The elbow stainless steel pipe I got it locally. Sad to say this kit's quality is poor. Some of its parts disintegrated rather quickly but it's not a problem for me.

attachicon.gifAir Intake 2.jpeg

attachicon.gifAir Intake 3.jpeg

I later had the cone filter replaced with a non-oily piece cos the oil messed up both the MAS sensor and MAP sensor. I order from amazon a similar but different brand (aFE) that could fit. The K&N dry filter is also crap quality. The elastic band losen due to exposure of heat. "Made in America". Meh...

Other than the psst psst sound every time I release the gas pedal it does perform a lot better than the restrictive stock air box. It is so responsive to throttle input. When I disconnect the RC it's back to meh.... I wanted to see how different the performance if I use just the air intake. So the RC and air intake actually work well together. Power upgrade isn't say significant like upgrading to a bigger size turbo but it's much more fun to drive.

I have ups and downs doing the DIY. Sometimes I realised some things actually leads to more issues. Like the modified air intake is sucking/moving more "gunk" from the PCV return hose to the air intake system>turbo>inter-cooler>intake manifold?MAP sensor?throttle body. So I had to remove one end of the PCV hose and put a plug on the intake to act as a stopper. I also remove some of the rubber insulation under the hood to try to let in more cooling air. The engine bay when it's soaked with heat it's sucking in a lot of hot air and it affects the performance.

I learned a lot from the DIY process. I did a lot of reading online before I did the mods. It helps. I also replaced a lot of the MAP sensors as a lot of the performance consistency depends on it. Sometimes AD replace for me under warranty. Sometimes I replace it on my own. MAS sensor I only replace it once. Both are cheap on amazon.

But overall the car is the one that suprised me most. It took much of my abuse. Of course AD did the maintainance well too. They gave me 5 years warranty. So I respect it by reverting back to stock whenever I send it in. LoL... But I think they know lah. Once they plug in the diagnostics will tell a lot. I tried my best not to overheat the engine under any circumstances. That's most important. I had fun and learned a lot. Putting what I read into what I did. It's the journey that was fun and somewhat fulfilling. What's myth and what works.

After the 5 years I traded in the car for a new car with a NA engine. Haha...

I dont like the fact that the car's performance is so dependant on the MAP sensor. According to AD it's also part of wear & tear for this component. In other words it has a lifespan.

It was fun to DIY. Power wise it's not like an upgraded turbo. The factory limited boost is still there to keep the engine reliable. FC wise I dont think it affected much cos it's not a big power upgrade. The stock brakes and chassis were good enough to handle it. There's a limit on what I can do on my own w/o the use of a car workshop.

Kudos to a well spend journey ...at least it was fun and you mod it base on reading and not trial and error.

May I know did the silicon hose subsequently disintegrated as well.. I know the rubber hose tends to leak at the intercooler after year 3.

Doing some shopping on the aliexpress site for silicon hoses.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Changing a badge is definitely a NO NO to me too. 

Mod is too vague a word. Happy with their ride ok liao even though some may laugh at their 'mods' of their ride being bodykits, wheels and stickers.

the mod is too small but true, still a mod

some feel changing badge is ok, to me is big no-no

most importantly, mod already happy then good la

Mod is too vague a word. Happy with their ride ok liao even though some may laugh at their 'mods' of their ride being bodykits, wheels and stickers.

Any changes you do to your car, be it aesthetics or performance is counted as mod. 

For my previous ride, I installed front splitter (for looks), CF hood, intake, exhaust, chipping, rims (to fit wider tyes), coilovers, camber kits, all sorts of bars, short throw gear stick, FD, etc,

For current ride, front splitter (again), dechrome, intake, rims, bbk and bars. Next in line is improving flow to the TC and finally chipping.

I always mod my ride mildly to my liking. Both aesthetic and performance.

Thats nice to know.

Any changes you do to your car, be it aesthetics or performance is counted as mod. 

For my previous ride, I installed front splitter (for looks), CF hood, intake, exhaust, chipping, rims (to fit wider tyes), coilovers, camber kits, all sorts of bars, short throw gear stick, FD, etc,

For current ride, front splitter (again), dechrome, intake, rims, bbk and bars. Next in line is improving flow to the TC and finally chipping.

I always mod my ride mildly to my liking. Both aesthetic and performance.

just this morning i saw nissan latio nismo, haha

modding is process and very individual. i laugh at those with huge gt wing, i'm sure others will laugh at my mods haha

You mean the Latio have a big Nismo sticker across the windscreen top?

I kinda like those huge FT wing on a CTR or Evo though. Damn rice boy but fits the ride. 

I dare not say I modded my ride with what I done.

just this morning i saw nissan latio nismo, haha

modding is process and very individual. i laugh at those with huge gt wing, i'm sure others will laugh at my mods haha

it means you are not cornering hard enough.

But 17inch rim really noisy..and but heard that it is more firm and stable when cup corners..but to me no diff. looks nice though..

Also would like to share some Mod I did for my C180K few year ago.

Bought the C180k back in 2011 brand new under warranty.  Felt that car was under power especially the low end.

Endured for 3 years (warranty period) and after 3 years, this is what I Modd:

1.  Upgraded the brake

2.  Replaced the stock header to Kleenman from Germany including the first cat

3.  Replaced the stock exhaust system to Fox Quad

4.  Accessories like cables, tubing, etc to suit the new set up

5.  And finally, the most important part... without this, the whole set up will be useless and engine check light sure came on... stage 2 tuning

The original BHP was 154.  After installing the new header and exhaust, the BHP increased to 168.

After the tuning, the BHP increased to 207.

post-93980-0-55951300-1565674513_thumb.jpg

Thin line - Reading taken after replacing the header and exhaust system

Bold line - Reading taken after stage 2 tuning

Enjoyed the "new" car for a few years, never regret modding.  Only issue is every 2 years inspection.... a pain in the ass... haha

Bought a new car and restored the car back to stock and handed over to my wifey for running errand... 2 more years to scrap..

• Praise 1

You mean the Latio have a big Nismo sticker across the windscreen top?

I kinda like those huge FT wing on a CTR or Evo though. Damn rice boy but fits the ride. 

I dare not say I modded my ride with what I done.

no worries la, no right or wrong, u happy can liao

some like it subtle, some want it loud, car so expensive here, we mod or beautify the way we like as long as we are not flouting any safety regulation

i was behind this latio at a traffic light, has a red NISMO badge

No worries at all. Right and wrong is how one defines it. It’s true that I’m happy is of the utmost importance.

Yeah car is very expensive over here. So some people mod their rides, some beautify it as they seem fit.

Ah! So this Latino added a Nismo lookalike emblem on the ride.

no worries la, no right or wrong, u happy can liao

some like it subtle, some want it loud, car so expensive here, we mod or beautify the way we like as long as we are not flouting any safety regulation

i was behind this latio at a traffic light, has a red NISMO badge

↡ Advertisement