Updating of maps in GPS software

Jezzmatezz

Hi all

Hope to seek your advice.

I currently drive a Nissan slyphy 2015 model.

The maps a little outdated as new roads are not detected.

Is there a place for me to update my maps software?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Seems like if you buy a car and a gps comes with it, you're at the mercy of the car maker for map updates.

And map changes all the time, especially Sg where new roads are opened, old ones closed, re-aligned, etc.

So either you're stuck with paying for map updates or simply chuck it one side and used your phone's app which is most often up-to-date.

There's Google Map or Waze.

• Praise 2

Google map best, with traffic conditions. Just spend a few dollars on a mount, or find somewhere on the dash to place the phone.

Stupid for cars manufacturers to provide navigation system with outdated maps and for buyers to spec them when all you need is Android auto or Apple car play.

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1

Google map best, with traffic conditions. Just spend a few dollars on a mount, or find somewhere on the dash to place the phone.

Stupid for cars manufacturers to provide navigation system with outdated maps and for buyers to spec them when all you need is Android auto or Apple car play.

Google map is awesome for general routing n avoiding traffic (where possible) but it doesn't seem to bring the car to the building entrance. It will stop u on a road near the building then u have to find a way in. Minor inconvenience at the very least esp if it's in an area with one-way-streets

For Mazda, we would have to pay USD150 for a one time update. ð¤¬

For what it's worth, the Garmin maps in the Honda HU from KM has free updates from Garmin.

Literally just updated using Garmin Express.

• Praise 2

Seems like Kah motor is doing better in this area.  :a-good:

For what it's worth, the Garmin maps in the Honda HU from KM has free updates from Garmin.

Literally just updated using Garmin Express.

• Praise 1

Aiya, ppl here dunno wan lah. Instead of directing you to a website they give you useless info.

Do you know what navigation software is running on your HU? You can go to malfreemaps.com to look for free maps update. But you have to register an account. This website has the largest navigation community for south east asia map and it supports a lot of navi software. You need to know your navi system info and which version. The website is not easy to navigate. Once you download the zip file you will have to update it on a laptop/pc. You have to remove the sd card from the HU and do the update on your pc. The map update usually comes with pdf instructions on how to do the update.

I have been using the website for free map update for my previous cars. Now no need cos HU running on Apple carplay / android auto. Updates are on the phone apps for waze/google maps/sygic/apple maps. There's no need to pay for navi software and map license like in the past. Imagine we are paying additional 100%(import tax) for the software and map when it reaches singapore. You dont see it cos it's everything included in the omv. It's best that new cars come with no HU or a very basic one. Getting a 3rd party HU is even better and has more flexibility.

http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewforum.php?f=23

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

Use Google map with Apple Carplay the best. Solid interface and it is a global map. I used it to plan my self drive holidays too.

Forgot about the rest lah. They are static and most can't reroute you if there is a major jam along the way.

Aiya, ppl here dunno wan lah. Instead of directing you to a website they give you useless info.

Do you know what navigation software is running on your HU? You can go to malfreemaps.com to look for free maps update. But you have to register an account. This website has the largest navigation community for south east asia map and it supports a lot of navi software. You need to know your navi system info and which version. The website is not easy to navigate. Once you download the zip file you will have to update it on a laptop/pc. You have to remove the sd card from the HU and do the update on your pc. The map update usually comes with pdf instructions on how to do the update.

I have been using the website for free map update for my previous cars. Now no need cos HU running on Apple carplay / android auto. Updates are on the phone apps for waze/google maps/sygic/apple maps. There's no need to pay for navi software and map license like in the past. Imagine we are paying additional 100%(import tax) for the software and map when it reaches singapore. You dont see it cos it's everything included in the omv. It's best that new cars come with no HU or a very basic one. Getting a 3rd party HU is even better and has more flexibility.

http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewforum.php?f=23

If the HU that my AD gave is running galactio navigation system, can also do what you said?

Of is it possible to update as mentioned, only for those stand-alone GPS? A friend who drives the same car (and has the same HU), says his research shows that can ownself update for standalone, but when it comes to car HU, will have to go back ADs to pay them $$ to update...

If the HU that my AD gave is running galactio navigation system, can also do what you said?

Of is it possible to update as mentioned, only for those stand-alone GPS? A friend who drives the same car (and has the same HU), says his research shows that can ownself update for standalone, but when it comes to car HU, will have to go back ADs to pay them $$ to update...

my prev Pioneer HU running Papago GPS

Current kenwood HU running Garmin GPS.

both using MFM maps (from the relevant sections) without issue.

never tried galatico but look in here for details/info http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15408

need to check your galatico version first.

• Praise 1

my prev Pioneer HU running Papago GPS

Current kenwood HU running Garmin GPS.

both using MFM maps (from the relevant sections) without issue.

never tried galatico but look in here for details/info http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15408

need to check your galatico version first.

For Galactio maps, look for them : http://www.quantuminventions.com/contact-us/

There is a $30 fee for map updating by them.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1