Most Improved Car Brands

wangxiaodi

French cars are very poor in reliability. That's why you don't see older Citroen, Peugeot and Renaults on the road. After few years they are taken off the road.

And judging a car based on looks alone is so shallow and naive.

Edited by pinto22sg
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Kia - yes big improvement. Not just exterior design but the quality of their interior materials are competitive now. New Cerato has great interior for that price bracket.

Subaru : Good that they finally got out of the EJ engine after 30 years. Bad that they using CVT which I dont like the feel of. Interiors improved but nothing fantastic. The coming Legact is TERRIBLE. I remember when the beautiful Gen 4 legacy came out, Subaru had an advert mocking the ugly Kia Magentis. How the tables turned. Now Kia Optima is so much prettier than Legacy.

Toyota : New Camry looks not so Ah Pek. Interior still a bit ah pek though. But still nice (I semi ah pek) and comfortable. Overseas Camry also got quad exhaust wor!

Mitsubishi : We mock at them for building crappy Attrage and boring SUV. We remember the Jackie Chan Thunderbolt 3000GT and the Evo III to Evo X and (for older buggers) the Colt Starion Turbo and all the other 80s Mitsu Turbos. But guess what, they are selling more than ever now. Its just the fact that majority of consumers want annoynig SUVs and Crossovers. 3000GTs and LanEvos look good in magazines but they dont help car makers make that much money.

Proton big car as good as last generation Accord and Perodua is as good as any Daihatsu.

The Myvi is not even a rebadged Daihatsu. It's completely designed in house.

I would he happy to drive a Proton or Perodua these days.

:D

Not the engine though :)

Heard sleazy pimps now gave up their bling bling black MBs S-class n now drive Opel and Renault

Is it? I dont know of any. Can intro?

• Praise 4

Mitsubishi today is a shadow of it's former self

In the 80s, it had desirable stuff like the 3000GT, Eclipse, Starion Turbo, Cordia Turbo

In the 90s & 2000s, less exciting but at least there was Evo

Today we have crap. Should rename it Mitsushitty

Edited by Soya
  • Praise 5

Mitsubishi today is a shadow of it's former self

In the 80s, it had desirable stuff like the 3000GT, Eclipse, Starion Turbo, Cordia Turbo

In the 90s & 2000s, less exciting but at least there was Evo

Today we have crap. Should rename it Mitsushitty

True. Don't understand why they down "graded" themselves by coming out attrage.. If it looks nice still ok. But the design really looks like some 90s Korean car or some 2000s msian cars..

Toyota axio also terrible.. Took a grab that was an axio.. Inside the seat was fabric type and the interior. Basic until cannot basic... U felt like those jap car in the 2000s...

My gosh...

True. Don't understand why they down "graded" themselves by coming out attrage.. If it looks nice still ok. But the design really looks like some 90s Korean car or some 2000s msian cars..

Toyota axio also terrible.. Took a grab that was an axio.. Inside the seat was fabric type and the interior. Basic until cannot basic... U felt like those jap car in the 2000s...

My gosh...

Mitsu ran into financial troubles in the 90s. Survival instincts kicked in and conservatism ruled. That's why we see such zzzzzzz stuff from them nowadays

The Axio is a jdm corolla aimed at old folks in Jpn who want a simple, cheap A to B car. That's why it's basic to the core

My gosh...

I would like to comment that we don't judge a car like we judge a washing machine or a fridge.

Fitting the Axio with leather everywhere, adding more features, electric everything and a nice touchscreen infotainment system won't make it a better car, just a better value proposition (if the price remains the same, that is).

Conversely, if you strip all the equipment out from a MB S-class, it is still a fundamentally good car.

• Praise 1

Most new models are nicer with latest features.  Nice is subjective of course. So improvements for me will be the technician aspects. Which have new engine or chassis,  etc?

My gosh...

If not for Attrage, Mitsubishi will be nowhere, isn't it a great success? You see them everywhere on the road, but I will never drive an Attrage, not because of the badge but I fear for my safety.

Entry-level car is designed to be economical so it has to be basic.

Based on my own opinions, these are few brands which I feel have made tremendous improvements and progress to their car making etc.

Kia

Mazda (since last 5 to 6 years)

Especially their new Mazda 3 and 6 are quite awesome.

Hyundai

Peogeot (their latest series of car are very exciting indeed)

Reliable or not, maintenance high or not, still unknown

Opel and Renault - their latest models are really heart stealers. Very sleeze and timeless. Reliable or not.. Another issue as I have not tried owning one before.

Here are some brands which I think quite disappointing in recent years.

Toyota - maybe still as reliable but somewhat losing much of their appeals in terms of their designs and overall. It still cannot do away with the reputation of producing uncle's cars model that appeal to more mature people. My personal opinion.

Honda, mobilo, shuttle, grace and even the new civic.. Looks kinda awkward and it seems they are trying too hard but too overkill. The new civic looks overkill and trying too hard, and it does not look very modern and rather backwards.. Personal opinion again.

Nissan.. Well as always, they are never the best among the top and always churning out bulky, fatty, mature looking cars that not really appealing to younger buyers.

Mitsubishi..their peak was the Glx and ex Lancer era.. After which... It seems really difficult to accept. Maybe they are gg for higher end suv or mpv now.. But their sedan's series is quite pathetic.

Suzuki and surbaru... Maybe surbaru are going better but still 2nd tier or even 3rd tier when comes to those mentioned.

Hyundai and KIA are pretty mainstream now cos of the price and what buyers get. Not much complains but not fantastic.

PSA aka Citroen-Peugeot-Opel share engines and parts...also share the same issues and reliability or the lack of it. 

I find Toyota cars are vastly different from different parts of the world. Those coming from Toyota US they are an entirely different entity from Japan, from design, production plant, whatever. They have cars that are so different. In Europe even the Altis or they called it the Auris is a hatchback and has a better interior. But when it comes to Toyota Asia there's Indo, Thai, M'sia kinda quality. You get what I mean? And the Toyota JDM models can be quite conservative in design and bare... like the Axio which is based on the Corolla with really bare to the bone interior. The boxy MPVs which I think look like luxury vans that you cannot use the words like "slick" or "aerodynamic".

The local Honda distributor is a M'sia company. They like 2 airbags cars. I find Honda cars sound insulation lacking. Thai made quality is not desirable. Pricing not competitive.

The Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi gang is one of the worse. Like what the annoying Scotty youtuber unker quoted..."all the bad car makers come together to make awful cars".  I kinda agree.

At least Suzuki they focus on small cars where they are good at making. They have a lot of fans in India. 

Subaru and Mazda's engine tech was stuck in the past for quite a while until recent years. They are small fish in Japan hence dont have the funds on R&D I guess. I consider them as "niche"  or the rather oddballs of the car market. Ok lah. Some ppl dont like mainstream cars. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged

French cars are very poor in reliability. That's why you don't see older Citroen, Peugeot and Renaults on the road. After few years they are taken off the road.

And judging a car based on looks alone is so shallow and naive.

35 hours a week. No more  :grin:

Hyundai?

Hell no... I am reading about problems that new Elantra/Avante car owners face that should never have happened and did not happen to me when I owned a Hyundai from 2009 to 2012.

Based on my own opinions, these are few brands which I feel have made tremendous improvements and progress to their car making etc.

Kia
Mazda (since last 5 to 6 years)
Especially their new Mazda 3 and 6 are quite awesome.

Hyundai

Peogeot (their latest series of car are very exciting indeed)
Reliable or not, maintenance high or not, still unknown

Opel and Renault - their latest models are really heart stealers. Very sleeze and timeless. Reliable or not.. Another issue as I have not tried owning one before.

Here are some brands which I think quite disappointing in recent years.

Toyota - maybe still as reliable but somewhat losing much of their appeals in terms of their designs and overall. It still cannot do away with the reputation of producing uncle's cars model that appeal to more mature people. My personal opinion.

Honda, mobilo, shuttle, grace and even the new civic.. Looks kinda awkward and it seems they are trying too hard but too overkill. The new civic looks overkill and trying too hard, and it does not look very modern and rather backwards.. Personal opinion again.

Nissan.. Well as always, they are never the best among the top and always churning out bulky, fatty, mature looking cars that not really appealing to younger buyers.

Mitsubishi..their peak was the Glx and ex Lancer era.. After which... It seems really difficult to accept. Maybe they are gg for higher end suv or mpv now.. But their sedan's series is quite pathetic.

Suzuki and surbaru... Maybe surbaru are going better but still 2nd tier or even 3rd tier when comes to those mentioned.

Kia - unfortunately still using the same dated powertrain from 10 years ago. Don't expect fantastic FC, for those considering Cerato/K3/Forte. Design and interior finish is tip top though. I owned a 2012 Forte from new.

Toyota - There are rave reviews about the new Camry. Mainly the new TNGA platform which improved handling over its predecessors by leaps and bounds. The new Altis using the same platform is also getting good reviews for handling.

Mitsubishi - Half dead from financial problems. Don't expect them to launch any performance car in the next decade at least.

Kia - yes big improvement. Not just exterior design but the quality of their interior materials are competitive now. New Cerato has great interior for that price bracket.

Subaru : Good that they finally got out of the EJ engine after 30 years. Bad that they using CVT which I dont like the feel of. Interiors improved but nothing fantastic. The coming Legact is TERRIBLE. I remember when the beautiful Gen 4 legacy came out, Subaru had an advert mocking the ugly Kia Magentis. How the tables turned. Now Kia Optima is so much prettier than Legacy.

Toyota : New Camry looks not so Ah Pek. Interior still a bit ah pek though. But still nice (I semi ah pek) and comfortable. Overseas Camry also got quad exhaust wor!

Mitsubishi : We mock at them for building crappy Attrage and boring SUV. We remember the Jackie Chan Thunderbolt 3000GT and the Evo III to Evo X and (for older buggers) the Colt Starion Turbo and all the other 80s Mitsu Turbos. But guess what, they are selling more than ever now. Its just the fact that majority of consumers want annoynig SUVs and Crossovers. 3000GTs and LanEvos look good in magazines but they dont help car makers make that much money.

Not the engine though :)

Is it? I dont know of any. Can intro?

Most Improved

1. Mercedes - A, B, C, E, G classes are all winners....ask any car buyer, I bet 9/10 wanted one if they stroked Toto

2. Volvo - Specs wise no horses run, and their new cars are beautiful too

3. Geely - Yes I am not joking, just google what they are selling in China, they have been making very good acquisition in overseas that rose the eye brow...Merc and Volvo included....as for proton...it's more for Lotus brand imo

4. Tesla - Yes, this is the future if they can turn profitable....I also want one if our import are selling at US pricing

5. Mazda - I never like Mazda for the past but the last one year I change my mind, having seen and test drove one, if I ever buying another car, it will be Mazda 3 or an MX as second car if I tio ToTo

6. Harrier - I was one of the prettiest mid-tier SUV for the last 3 to 4 years until BM bueh Tahan that decided to bringing in the Face-lift model for SG/MY speak for itself

Most disappointing

1. All the Japanese brand except Mazda - Seriously...from Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi to Nissan, there is nothing exciting...nothing that I want even if I have 150k to spare....they still believe in bread and butter mode but that segment is saturated with Korean and even entry level continentals now...we want noodle from Japanese, can or not?

2. Korean - It bloom like K pop but just fee-zed out like any pop culture...they need to reinvent themselves instead of wholesale copy cating others....btw I tot I saw a Maserati at Tuas Jam last week...alas it was an Stinger...what the hax  [:p]

People always say car makers make boring cars, but nobody knows better than the car makers, that exciting and sporty cars simply don't sell in volume as compared to practical cars. That's why Honda prelude, Toyota Supra and Mazda rx7 and such have stopped production long ago. Lotus is another example.

Edited by pinto22sg

Most Improved

1. Mercedes - A, B, C, E, G classes are all winners....ask any car buyer, I bet 9/10 wanted one if they stroked Toto

2. Volvo - Specs wise no horses run, and their new cars are beautiful too

3. Geely - Yes I am not joking, just google what they are selling in China, they have been making very good acquisition in overseas that rose the eye brow...Merc and Volvo included....as for proton...it's more for Lotus brand imo

4. Tesla - Yes, this is the future if they can turn profitable....I also want one if our import are selling at US pricing

5. Mazda - I never like Mazda for the past but the last one year I change my mind, having seen and test drove one, if I ever buying another car, it will be Mazda 3 or an MX as second car if I tio ToTo

6. Harrier - I was one of the prettiest mid-tier SUV for the last 3 to 4 years until BM bueh Tahan that decided to bringing in the Face-lift model for SG/MY speak for itself

Most disappointing

1. All the Japanese brand except Mazda - Seriously...from Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi to Nissan, there is nothing exciting...nothing that I want even if I have 150k to spare....they still believe in bread and butter mode but that segment is saturated with Korean and even entry level continentals now...we want noodle from Japanese, can or not?

2. Korean - It bloom like K pop but just fee-zed out like any pop culture...they need to reinvent themselves instead of wholesale copy cating others....btw I tot I saw a Maserati at Tuas Jam last week...alas it was an Stinger...what the hax [:p]

I agree with those new merc and especially the volvos.. But resale values for volvos still not as attractive as BMW n merc.. Audi resale value kinda cui too.

Lexus still gg strong but we are seeing less of infinity now on the road... Like dying already

Kia - unfortunately still using the same dated powertrain from 10 years ago. Don't expect fantastic FC, for those considering Cerato/K3/Forte. Design and interior finish is tip top though. I owned a 2012 Forte from new.

Toyota - There are rave reviews about the new Camry. Mainly the new TNGA platform which improved handling over its predecessors by leaps and bounds. The new Altis using the same platform is also getting good reviews for handling.

Mitsubishi - Half dead from financial problems. Don't expect them to launch any performance car in the next decade at least.

I started looking at kia during the 2008 kia Cerato forte and koupe era. Later K3 kinda disappointing. But their Optima saved their days. Unfortunately, car models that are during K3 and Optima era were simply too expensive.. Even the elantra 2011 to 2014 era was over 110k..

Right car at the wrong time.. At the wrong place...

Don't like that la ð

Their new ingenium engine.. diesel oil change interval is every 2 years or 34k km

Haha wah, 2 year or 34k !!! Sounds like endless of driving to go. Really got improvement. Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement