AFF U18 Youth Championship 2019

Zxcvb

Turbocharged

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_AFF_U-18_Youth_Championship

Singapore right at the bottom of the table. Why are our youth so lousy despite drinking plentiful of expensive formula milk since newborn?? Go sports school with highly-paid sports professionals to train them. Clean water. Clean air. Nice bed. Nice aircon bedroom. High education. High calories food. Wear most expensive sports apparels. Parents subscribed to expensive tv sports package. Still can lose out to 3rd world countries with little to nothing of the above while growing up. Think North Korea.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Singapore right at the bottom of the table. Why are our youth so lousy despite drinking plentiful of expensive formula milk since newborn?? Go sports school with highly-paid sports professionals to train them. Clean water. Clean air. Nice bed. Nice aircon bedroom. High education. High calories food. Wear most expensive sports apparels. Parents subscribed to expensive tv sports package. Still can lose out to 3rd world countries with little to nothing of the above while growing up. Think North Korea.

Many soccer players come from disadvantaged backgrounds and tougher neighborhoods in many countries.

In singapore, sports in school is a way to balance life. Not to earn a living.

• Praise 1

There are many reasons why we are behind our regional counterparts. I’ll list some down though not all of u may agree and 1 of the reason is controversial as well but I’ll risk putting my head on the block:

1) Hunger to use football as a means to get out of poverty which our local kids fortunately or unfortunately don’t need to

2) Time needed by other pursuits like studies, part time work (some poor students do this) etc

3) NS - 1.5 to 2yrs whilst at the time when a youth shld be honing his skills, playing and developing in a competitive environment is lost and though claim is you can go back to playing after NS, it’s not the same as effectively u hv lost precious time to peers who do not serve NS.

There are some more but i think the above are the main ones. I know NS is the cornerstone of our nation’s survival but a sportsman’s development is lost during that period n so if NS is the priority then we have to accept that our sportsmen will lose out in this area. The NS reason may not apply to this U18 tournament but I’m just stating a fact on local football in general.

• Praise 10

There are many reasons why we are behind our regional counterparts. I’ll list some down though not all of u may agree and 1 of the reason is controversial as well but I’ll risk putting my head on the block:

1) Hunger to use football as a means to get out of poverty which our local kids fortunately or unfortunately don’t need to

2) Time needed by other pursuits like studies, part time work (some poor students do this) etc

3) NS - 1.5 to 2yrs whilst at the time when a youth shld be honing his skills, playing and developing in a competitive environment is lost and though claim is you can go back to playing after NS, it’s not the same as effectively u hv lost precious time to peers who do not serve NS.

There are some more but i think the above are the main ones. I know NS is the cornerstone of our nation’s survival but a sportsman’s development is lost during that period n so if NS is the priority then we have to accept that our sportsmen will lose out in this area. The NS reason may not apply to this U18 tournament but I’m just stating a fact on local football in general.

Totally agree. Hunger and school time sucks up too much time to become dedicated to that one profession.

• Praise 1

Again someone will say govt fault
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

The final is tonight between Malaysia and Australia.

If Malaysia wins, we'll beg their JDT club to accept our best 10 year olds. They have a very modern set-up.

Turbocharged

There are many reasons why we are behind our regional counterparts. Iâll list some down though not all of u may agree and 1 of the reason is controversial as well but Iâll risk putting my head on the block:

1) Hunger to use football as a means to get out of poverty which our local kids fortunately or unfortunately donât need to

3) NS - 1.5 to 2yrs whilst at the time when a youth shld be honing his skills, playing and developing in a competitive environment is lost and though claim is you can go back to playing after NS, itâs not the same as effectively u hv lost precious time to peers who do not serve NS.

There are some more but i think the above are the main ones. I know NS is the cornerstone of our nationâs survival but a sportsmanâs development is lost during that period n so if NS is the priority then we have to accept that our sportsmen will lose out in this area. The NS reason may not apply to this U18 tournament but Iâm just stating a fact on local football in general.

Our kids and youths don't have to be professional but need a professional attitude, just like in many other things in life. Eg 5 years ago I saw a very talented local young player. He had a superb right foot but couldn't kick with the left. Saw him play again recently for the national below 21 team. Still hopeless with left leg. His skillset good enough to be among the top youths in sg, but in reality over 5 years no improvement, apart from being physically bigger and stronger.

Like some say, no hunger.

Our kids and youths don't have to be professional but need a professional attitude, just like in many other things in life. Eg 5 years ago I saw a very talented local young player. He had a superb right foot but couldn't kick with the left. Saw him play again recently for the national below 21 team. Still hopeless with left leg. His skillset good enough to be among the top youths in sg, but in reality over 5 years no improvement, apart from being physically bigger and stronger.

Like some say, no hunger.

That’s why I say hunger is important n u can’t coax a person to hv hunger. U must have an insatiable hunger to succeed. The other issue which may link to lack of hunger is distractions which comes in many forms here in Singapore. As long as sports is not seen as viable profession, it will always take a back seat n with that, lack of hunger n a professional mindset will remain absent I’m afraid.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5