SG in 2034 World Cup? What happened To Goal 2010 lol

StreetFight3r

Yes agreed, SEA games first than Asian Cup but I suppose they want to have lofty ambitions but seriously WC level is really high benchmark which even China have qualified only once.

Australia, Japan, South Korea and perhaps Saudi Arabia are the only Asian countries who can claim to be regular qualifiers amongst the Asian teams.

I mean its good to have dreams, but have to be realistic ones, and then put some plans and action towards it.  As it is now, I dont see any solid plans coming out of our FA, and it's been many years.

Given that we dont have a big pool of talents to choose from, but had they really wanted to do something, and started picking the boys from young, we would at least not be where we are now.  At least start by beating Thailand, or have Thailand as our aim first..

In fact I think the major problem, which is a very sensitive issue in our local football has to be sorted out first. If this sensitive issue, which has become an unofficial rule, is not taken care of, I think nothing will work. 

The non hungry attitude, the payday KFC month end roti culture, is what is keeping us away from the goals I think.  -_-

Different from what I am seeing in SA now, things are really looking like going in the right direction for SA.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

when i was in pri sch, football was a popular (widely supported) sports. Those days, got the dolla kassim, quah kim song, edmund wee, mhd ali, etc. players playing in the M'sia Cup. When there were home games, the national stadium was packed, and there was live telecast on ch 5. I would tell my mother i needed to be home by 7.30 pm on the Sats to tune in to watch the match.

Later on got fandi, malek awab, then the foreign imports, etc... then slowly slowly dropped off the radar.

Not sure what was/were the reason(s), but i think local soccer went downhill cos:

- lack of support (as SG stopped playing in M'sia Cup), not glamorous

- not rewarding cos market small, no budget

- small talent pool, not (only) that SG population small, but more so cos every father/mother also tell the children to study hard instead of play football hard...

- lack of facilities. want to find a place to kickaround also difficult.

So the odds were always stacked against us to begin with. Soccer is a team sports, unlike swimming, weightlifting, shooting, etc. where SG had some success past/present. For a team sport, we'll need a whole lot of people to have good talent to begin with, then must continuously train v hard for maybe 5-10 yr to be able to go somewhere. And mind you, training is not like swimming, where one individual follow a coach's instructions to practise, then once in a while go competition to get experience. Soccer needs the whole team to keep playing against others, friendlies or competitions, to improve. The dedication required is no mean feat.

Parents' support is also key. Schooling's parents sacrificed a lot to allow him to train from young. They were not poor to begin with.

Let's face it (I must stress that i'm not racist hor...), most of the better players here are either Malay or Indian. Apart from maybe they are more technically gifted, i would say that for the much more populous Chinese community, the parents are also not so supportive of their children pursuing soccer as a career. The dynamics are simple:

- soccer career is short-lived, not a 'safe' long-term option

- soccer doesn't pay well here (if top players here can earn even 10% of what top players of BPL earns, i bet a lot of parents will suddenly become supportive [laugh] )

- soccer is dangerous, as in one can get injured easily, major or minor. Which parent won't dread that?

- likely gonna be costly if really pursue seriously from young. Buy gears, send/fetch to/from trainings, and need to pay fees (unlike in other countries the clubs' academies will pay some token to the kids instead).

- and if train, means take time. Almost certainly studies will be affected. If the kids have a chance to do well in school, secure a place in poly/univ if they follow the tried/tested routine of school/tuition/exams, why take the risk and try to be too different?

So most parents who have some time to supervise or look after the kids, might not be supportive of them taking soccer seriously. Those who cannot afford to do so (supervise or look after them) will leave them to do what they do, and sometimes these kids will kickabout in the neighbourhood and then play more from there.

This is of course biaised, as there are kids who are closely looked after by family, and who also play soccer, but i suspect the trend is not wrong.

Singaporeans are brought up to be kiasu. Most will not dare let their children take the rare path of pursuing soccer seriously in place of studying hard to get a degree leh...

If the govt is serious about raising soccer standard, they will have their work cut out - as a lot needs to be done to change the public perception of soccer...

• Praise 3

I say we are more than capable by 2034 la... but not to qualify though, capable of Hosting the 2034 world cup la.. That's what the FAS chief is referring to right? :secret-laugh:

• Praise 1

you can't even play football in the void decks lol...

We don't have street soccer. Which most kids start out playing and honing their individual skills.

when i was in pri sch, football was a popular (widely supported) sports. Those days, got the dolla kassim, quah kim song, edmund wee, mhd ali, etc. players playing in the M'sia Cup. When there were home games, the national stadium was packed, and there was live telecast on ch 5. I would tell my mother i needed to be home by 7.30 pm on the Sats to tune in to watch the match.

Later on got fandi, malek awab, then the foreign imports, etc... then slowly slowly dropped off the radar.

Not sure what was/were the reason(s), but i think local soccer went downhill cos:

- lack of support (as SG stopped playing in M'sia Cup), not glamorous

- not rewarding cos market small, no budget

- small talent pool, not (only) that SG population small, but more so cos every father/mother also tell the children to study hard instead of play football hard...

- lack of facilities. want to find a place to kickaround also difficult.

So the odds were always stacked against us to begin with. Soccer is a team sports, unlike swimming, weightlifting, shooting, etc. where SG had some success past/present. For a team sport, we'll need a whole lot of people to have good talent to begin with, then must continuously train v hard for maybe 5-10 yr to be able to go somewhere. And mind you, training is not like swimming, where one individual follow a coach's instructions to practise, then once in a while go competition to get experience. Soccer needs the whole team to keep playing against others, friendlies or competitions, to improve. The dedication required is no mean feat.

Parents' support is also key. Schooling's parents sacrificed a lot to allow him to train from young. They were not poor to begin with.

Let's face it (I must stress that i'm not racist hor...), most of the better players here are either Malay or Indian. Apart from maybe they are more technically gifted, i would say that for the much more populous Chinese community, the parents are also not so supportive of their children pursuing soccer as a career. The dynamics are simple:

- soccer career is short-lived, not a 'safe' long-term option

- soccer doesn't pay well here (if top players here can earn even 10% of what top players of BPL earns, i bet a lot of parents will suddenly become supportive [laugh] )

- soccer is dangerous, as in one can get injured easily, major or minor. Which parent won't dread that?

- likely gonna be costly if really pursue seriously from young. Buy gears, send/fetch to/from trainings, and need to pay fees (unlike in other countries the clubs' academies will pay some token to the kids instead).

- and if train, means take time. Almost certainly studies will be affected. If the kids have a chance to do well in school, secure a place in poly/univ if they follow the tried/tested routine of school/tuition/exams, why take the risk and try to be too different?

So most parents who have some time to supervise or look after the kids, might not be supportive of them taking soccer seriously. Those who cannot afford to do so (supervise or look after them) will leave them to do what they do, and sometimes these kids will kickabout in the neighbourhood and then play more from there.

This is of course biaised, as there are kids who are closely looked after by family, and who also play soccer, but i suspect the trend is not wrong.

Singaporeans are brought up to be kiasu. Most will not dare let their children take the rare path of pursuing soccer seriously in place of studying hard to get a degree leh...

If the govt is serious about raising soccer standard, they will have their work cut out - as a lot needs to be done to change the public perception of soccer...

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

ya... parents need to be re educated first

most of them let their kids do sports for dsa... hence ultimate objective still academic qualifications

• Praise 3

ya... parents need to be re educated first

most of them let their kids do sports for dsa... hence ultimate objective still academic qualifications

I say we are more than capable by 2034 la... but not to qualify though, capable of Hosting the 2034 world cup la.. That's what the FAS chief is referring to right? :secret-laugh:

Only one decent stadium here...WC will be a 3 months long affair if not longer...

Don’t expect Ronaldo and Messi juniors to play at Soya’s home ground bukit Gombak stadium

Why need to be re-educated?

Got re-education camps for parents ah?

got... next time you will need to go back to school to get re educated on your kids maths and science syllabi

Only one decent stadium here...WC will be a 3 months long affair if not longer...

Donât expect Ronaldo and Messi juniors to play at Soyaâs home ground bukit Gombak stadium

Haha...true.. But its far easier to convert stadiums and soccer pitch to world class than to form a squad that is world class.. 2034.. 1 year 1 pitch.. On target la..
  • Praise 6

Haha...true.. But its far easier to convert stadiums and soccer pitch to world class than to form a squad that is world class.. 2034.. 1 year 1 pitch.. On target la..

Hmmmm...$ get from where huh?

Oh, got it! Easy lah! More taxes lor...

Isn’t that a great idea?

(When the budget can’t balance in 2034...)

Last time someone said it’s easier to convert stadiums...

post-163127-0-71706000-1566216330.jpeg

post-163127-0-09685000-1566216350_thumb.jpeg

post-163127-0-98688200-1566216357_thumb.jpeg

post-163127-0-23220900-1566216365.jpeg

Honestly, everytime NATO, talk only, set target, but there's no feasible, real action on the ground to make it happen. Only piecemeal measures, some good, some stupid, all ineffective in the end.

To me there has to be several things that can (and should) be done if we really want to be serious about this, and football in Singapore.

1) Pump money into local football and the league. A lot of money. Get our multi million corporations (and there are definitely more than a dozen of them here) to sponsor one team each. Then they can pay our football teams properly and players can actually have a proper professional career playing football. The money can also make the clubs more professional too (proper training setup, high quality coaching, world class facilities).

Football is well past the era where players can play solely for glory. They also need to earn a living too.

2) NS. This is definitely a sticking point, but I don't get why MINDEF has to be so inflexible, why die die must make everyone serve in their teens. It feels very short-sighted IMO. I mean, professional players end their careers in their 30s, which is still a relatively young age. Why cannot make them serve then? Don't tell me 30 plus cannot learn military skills meh? So stupid right.

For me, any Singaporean who has a contract with an overseas club when he reaches NS eligible age, his NS will be deferred until he ends his footballing career. The whole Ben Davies saga was a farce and completely not positive for Singapore at all. Just because of MINDEF pettiness we lost a young talent and potentially our first Premier League player.

3) Encourage our players to go abroad, so that they can learn and gain experience. Right now I think it's a good start, with a few of our players in Thailand, but we should aim even further. Malaysia doesn't count, their level is barely above us only. I like that the younger Fandi son went to Norway. I hope he does well and becomes successful.

I've heard good stuff about the current Japanese coach, but however good he is, if our footballing culture remains the same, even if we bring in Mourinho we will still not be successful.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Maybe sg can have a different model for wc qualification. A country that does not need its own league. Train the boys in sports schools, send them for annual attachments to good clubs worldwide, give them at least a diploma while doing that. Ns exemption. If by 23 they don't cut it they're out the door with a qualification and job lobang. No need for a low quality league no one watches.

• Praise 1

Simple say...

Just give free to Air European football matches..

You need to generate interests among the citizens , young cum old , to revive the spirit of FOOTBALL...

It’s not always abt $ & cents...

The sorry state of Sgp’s football is really Ko Lian...

PAP fault..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4