Food of the Future?

PSP415

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-insect-farming-food-protein-source-11786032

I assure u. If it comes to this stage, i may be going vegetarian.

Came across lots of these at Golden Mile Complex Supermarket on Level 2. Will usually detour. The large quantities of these can makes me nauseous. To actually eat them, i pass...out.

Any bravehearts tried? On one hand i dun want to know, on the other hand i am curious. Haiz

Safe ride

Cheers

Edited by PSP415
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-insect-farming-food-protein-source-11786032

Came across lots of these at Golden Mile Complex Supermarket on Level 2. Will usually detour. The large quantities of these can makes me nauseous. To actually eat them, i pass...out.

Any bravehearts tried? On one hand i dun want to know, on the other hand i am curious. Haiz

Safe ride

Cheers

I dont have a strong stomach, so it is not a matter of dare or dont dare to try. Lol.

Very common in China,silk worm, scorpion, cicadas, bees etc. If deep fried until very crispy, then not so bad. Worst is those still a bit soft inside. Eeee....

• Praise 1

actually, it seems like not that bad.. you'd notice all of them are deep fried

haha u think they got clean this insects before deep frying?

[laugh]

If economy rice vegetables, some stall holders lazy to wash clean, this one even lagi worse  [shakehead]

• Praise 1

Funny innit.

We eat intestines and chicken's feet and meat from cows cooked rare and snails etc etc but have difficulty with eating insects.

I'm no different from posters above.

• Praise 1

haha u think they got clean this insects before deep frying?

[laugh]

If economy rice vegetables, some stall holders lazy to wash clean, this one even lagi worse  [shakehead]

But they have eat so much still nothing happen to them le.

But they have eat so much still nothing happen to them le.

Haha u think how many times they fry that oil.

Anything deep fried always better get it from those chain stores or stores with a high output that is constantly changing the oil. Everytime they change the oil is quite a bit of $ one leh. cos they are deep frying and use large volumes at one go.

Like u ask me to eat deep fried snacks/chicken wing, i rather eat it from those fast food chicken sellers rather than those pasar malam sellers.

Haha u think how many times they fry that oil.

Anything deep fried always better get it from those chain stores or stores with a high output that is constantly changing the oil. Everytime they change the oil is quite a bit of $ one leh. cos they are deep frying and use large volumes at one go.

Like u ask me to eat deep fried snacks/chicken wing, i rather eat it from those fast food chicken sellers rather than those pasar malam sellers.

Maybe even some of those fast food chain might used the oil many times. But think those people there stomach already super strong, so they can eat those deep fried delicacies and yet no LS etc. 

Maybe even some of those fast food chain might used the oil many times. But think those people there stomach already super strong, so they can eat those deep fried delicacies and yet no LS etc. 

Big chain got QC standards that their franchisees need to meet. And they have the volume to ensure that quality is more important to them.

Of course, still may have errant ones, but generally speaking, lower chance.

Big chain got QC standards that their franchisees need to meet. And they have the volume to ensure that quality is more important to them.

Of course, still may have errant ones, but generally speaking, lower chance.

Iirc fast food chains like Texas FC uses shortening for frying their chicken.

And this is only changed out or drained out once a week. Along the week, just top up with shortening as required but oil in vat or whatever they call their frying "pan" per se is left as it is every night with a proper metal cover over it.

I learnt about this from an ex colleague who used to work there years back. Not sure if its different now.

Shortening is solid at room temperature (like in big blocks of butter form) but liquid when heated up. Think in liquid form it looks like normal oil.

Still, i am not touching those insects let alone putting into my mouth, crispy or crunchy, the images just cannot be made yummiliciously edible. The innards and whatever thats oozing out...

• Praise 1

Shortening inherently has trans fats. Don't think they can use as freely as before.

Though we need to ask our resident expert @fcw75

And this is only changed out or drained out once a week. Along the week, just top up with shortening as required but oil in vat or whatever they call their frying "pan" per se is left as it is every night with a proper metal cover over it.

I learnt about this from an ex colleague who used to work there years back. Not sure if its different now.

Shortening is solid at room temperature (like in big blocks of butter form) but liquid when heated up. Think in liquid form it looks like normal oil.

Still, i am not touching those insects let alone putting into my mouth, crispy or crunchy, the images just cannot be made yummiliciously edible. The innards and whatever thats oozing out...

Shortening inherently has trans fats. Don't think they can use as freely as before.

Though we need to ask our resident expert @fcw75

I just read one of the possible foods of future is algae. Lol

is in use now mah....

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-proven-benefits-of-spirulina

Safe ride

Cheers

my fishes love it  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1