Elderly man killed by falling wine bottle at condo

Tjkbeluga

Turbocharged

RIP... sad and tragic incident

farker who threw the bottle must be caught and given a harsh sentence

↡ Advertisement

The sentence for Killer Litter in this instance should be the Death Penalty

I remember during the early days when Singaporeans started moving into high rise flat.

There were many many cases of killer litter.

I was a kid then and always played at the void deck.

Inevitably while playing games like catching of simply cycling around on our BMXes, we would come under the full exposure of falling killer litter.

After several campaigns and very hard fines and punishment, killer litter bacame a thing of the past.

Nowadays we have many many foreigners in Singapore who may not have been educated the Singapore way. This is not to say that only foreigners are guilty of killer litter but I believe that it is time to bring back very hard punishment for the guilty and also for the authorities to be extra alert on such things

In the condo which i recently moved out, there are many short term tenants, in particular students from China. A bunch were caught throwing litter from the 6 floor but becos nobody was hurt, nothing was done to prevent future occurrence except for a note from the MCST.

In this case, i would really want to see justice served.

Please dont let another innocent person die in vain.

Dont let families suffer in great agony any further.

Authorities do what you are at least paid to do.

Apply it not just to killer litter but also to normal litter.

We have enough dustbins around !

RIP to the dead and condolences to the family

• Praise 6

I am gonna add on. Perhaps suicide nets can be placed as well. We dont have to call it suicide nets. We can officially say it's for killer litter but the specs are actually strong enough to catch a falling adult/child.

My boss say I got loads of ideas but all my ideas cost money :D

Hahaha, if implemented, the cleaners can "enjoy" bouncing on the nets without having to go all the way to Jewel Changi Airport and pay to enjoy it! :XD:

• Praise 1

It seems the police does have some leads. I think it can be quite sure the bottle is thrown from a certain section from the condo units. Just which one unless there are common areas with the same opening. Now they know  it is a wine bottle, person that have dispose similar wine bottle surely can remember and owns up. This will help to zoom in to that level although it could be other levels. The area of search is reduced vastly. 

Hope they found who did this soon.

• Praise 3

Rip to the poor fella.

Newspaper title probably reflect recent policy... Hence old age + job description

Also I thought spottiswoode park was HDB all along, not condo. Was it a hudc before?

Knn. People die already still take the chance to push govt agenda.

If SPH fatty dies, will the headlines say: fat newspaper seller dies of heart attack?

• Praise 2

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/killer-litter-suspected-of-causing-death-of-74-year-old-man

Sigh.... I initially thought the poor guy went there to deliver something and got hit but no, he is there to attend a celebration, thus my question, why on earth do they mention his profession so prominently? Disgusted....

I wonder, if he is a general admin clerk, would the title be "A 74-year-old clerk dies after being......"

What's wrong with being a delivery driver?
  • Praise 5

Rip to the poor fella.

Newspaper title probably reflect recent policy... Hence old age + job description

Also I thought spottiswoode park was HDB all along, not condo. Was it a hudc before?

Spottiswoode now full of sibeh atas condom

• Praise 1

So much polis manpower wasted in pursuing this kind of krazy people which could have been otherwise utlized for other better use

Not easy going from unit to unit, doing profiling, who knows maybe the neighbours know the suspect already as it must have been someone whom must have thrown other missiles also previously

Glass bottle in shards already 100's of pieces not easy to jigsaw too finger prints      

Wine bottle falling from height: Police look for culprit in condo after man's death

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/police-look-for-culprit-in-condo-after-mans-death

• Praise 3

So much polis manpower wasted in pursuing this kind of krazy people which could have been otherwise utlized for other better use

Not easy going from unit to unit, doing profiling, who knows maybe the neighbours know the suspect already as it must have been someone whom must have thrown other missiles also previously

Glass bottle in shards already 100's of pieces not easy to jigsaw too finger prints      

The bottle hit the man's head then hit his wife shoulder before landing on the ground. Wine bottle is very difficult to break. It's made very tough. It's not like those in the movies. 

In this instance, its necessary work. 1 man died.

There is no comparison to "better" use because i also expect a thorough investigation that hopefully will result in the culprit caught. It is dead serious and it is an unnecessary death.

I hope ppl will learn not to throw litter out of window. Got hands got legs dun want to use, one day, 100% cant use then regret. How far to the dustbin in the unit? Need take bus and mrt?

Safe ride. Pls dun throw litter out of car windows too. May be a potential killer to a bike or cyclist or pedestrian and even another vehicle. Throw into dust bins at final destination, not the movie kind.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 3

Not easy to catch if there's no prints on the bottle. There's at least 20-30 units who maybe culpable.

Hopefully there's some leads.

Not many people will drink from bottle, so no saliva for DNA tracing.

After all it's not like flower pot.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

The sentence for Killer Litter in this instance should be the Death Penalty

I remember during the early days when Singaporeans started moving into high rise flat.

There were many many cases of killer litter.

I was a kid then and always played at the void deck.

Inevitably while playing games like catching of simply cycling around on our BMXes, we would come under the full exposure of falling killer litter.

After several campaigns and very hard fines and punishment, killer litter bacame a thing of the past.

Nowadays we have many many foreigners in Singapore who may not have been educated the Singapore way. This is not to say that only foreigners are guilty of killer litter but I believe that it is time to bring back very hard punishment for the guilty and also for the authorities to be extra alert on such things

In the condo which i recently moved out, there are many short term tenants, in particular students from China. A bunch were caught throwing litter from the 6 floor but becos nobody was hurt, nothing was done to prevent future occurrence except for a note from the MCST.

In this case, i would really want to see justice served.

Please dont let another innocent person die in vain.

Dont let families suffer in great agony any further.

Authorities do what you are at least paid to do.

Apply it not just to killer litter but also to normal litter.

We have enough dustbins around !

RIP to the dead and condolences to the family

Yes, i remember those days. When i first started walking to school, i remembered i passed by one HDB block (my sch was a good 20-25 min walk away) one morning, and when I just walked past the staircase at the end of the block to go into the corridor (instead of empty void deck, cos the block has shop houses), i heard a loud bang. Turning around, i saw got a broken wooden sofa on the floor!!! It was beyond doubt that had i been there where and when it landed, i would not be here all these decades later...

It had landed just near the area behind the staircase, where people are unlikely to stand/walk there, but hey, one can never be sure.

Plus who the heck decided it was OK to throw such a bulky waste down a block!

I told my mother after school, and she said it could be a lazy cleaner who didn't want to carry the disposed sofa down the block, so just threw it down... but we didn't complain about it to anyone (those days i think no such thing as complain...).

Totally unacceptable, and culprits who throw killer litter (or any litter) should be severely punished.

• Praise 4

hope then that the bottle is intact

The bottle hit the man's head then hit his wife shoulder before landing on the ground. Wine bottle is very difficult to break. It's made very tough. It's not like those in the movies. 

• Praise 9

sure... but my point is the indication of profession there has totally nothing to do with the incident. What are they trying to say but putting that? I suppose "disgust" was the wrong word to use. 

But where does it start and where does it end? Is putting age and even gender irrelevant too? Taken to its logical ending, it should just be reported that "someone" got hit and no need even to put photo.

post-547-0-51274000-1566446791_thumb.png

Just like this one

Ppl ask

Why mention elderly?

Why mention woman?

Why mention bmw

Then further down ppl

Ask

Why mention road?

Why mention lamppost

Simisai ask say also wrong

• Praise 4

Not really. I also had the same impression of the report.

I think the article could have been better written to reduce such unnatural emphasis on the victim's occupation first (leading us to the unnecessary conclusion that he was performing a delivery) before describing the incident and revealing that he was there for a gathering.

When u write professionally, it's important to structure it properly. This is a case of potentially giving readers a wrong conclusion esp if they didn't take the effort to read to the later parts.

attachicon.gifFFE470AC-4248-491C-A79F-A09BFFBA66E2.png

Just like this one

Ppl ask

Why mention elderly?

Why mention woman?

Why mention bmw

Then further down ppl
Ask

Why mention road?

Why mention lamppost

Simisai ask say also wrong

↡ Advertisement