Greater Southern Waterfront discussion

therock

No doubt a beautiful area and very close to the city, and if I am reading right, an extension of the city to the Greater Southern Waterfront. So living in the city close to the sea, nature and work. 

Just an observation that the Keppel Club land while may give some sea views and close to the sea side, actually has very little direct sea frontage. So they will be nothing like the Keppel Bay condos with direct sea frontage and owning the sea-fronting land / promenade. In fact, some of the Keppel Bay condos have canals with sea water running through, e.g. Reflections, Caribbean and Corals at Keppel Bay. So while there is a lot of excitement, I think must also temper expectations, in the sense that it is unlikely that these HDB flats will have the turquoise sea with luxury yachts right n their backyard like the Keppel Bay condos. Most of the sea fronting parts are already taken by Reflections /Caribbean at Keppel Bay and towards the west Labrador Park. Some of them own close to 1km of the coastline (but allow public access). 

↡ Advertisement

The government has to make sure the pricing is equitable, or least allow some form of affordable housing elsewhere..

In fact I prefer that the entire area is private, and let market forces determine the pricing. Then build affordable housing nearby or in other areas.

Bottom line is we don't want to see HKG level pricing here..

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/commentary/hong-kong-protests-causes-housing-affordability-youths-own-rent-11879250

"At the end of 2018, the average selling price (per sqm) ... is about US$16,500 in the further New Territories"

Edited by therock

It’s interesting to watch the bee developments that claim to have a sea view. 

Some of those old condos and even some of those being launched in the East will have their sea view obliterated in the coming days ..

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/new-pricing-model-hdb-flats-greater-southern-waterfront-lottery-11920858

SINGAPORE: The Government is working out a new pricing model for future public housing in the Greater Southern Waterfront, in order to mitigate the so-called “lottery effect” of obtaining a subsidised flat in a prime area, said Minister for National Development Lawrence Wong on Thursday (Sep 19).

His comments come after Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said in his National Day Rally speech last month that the Government plans to build 9,000 private and public housing units on the site of the current Keppel Club when the lease expires in two years' time.

READ: NDR 2019: New attractions, housing and office spaces to be developed in Greater Southern Waterfront

READ: Specific measures could dampen 'lottery effect' of public housing at the Greater Southern Waterfront, experts say

Several analysts had raised concerns on whether public housing in the Greater Southern Waterfront would create a “lottery effect”, where owners sell their units for far higher prices than initially purchased.

Speaking to CNA938’s Arnold Gay and Yasmin Jonkers, Mr Wong said that the Government is still studying the best way to price future homes in the area.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/new-pricing-model-hdb-flats-greater-southern-waterfront-lottery-11920858

i dont care about private development there. 

For BTO flat, i think garment will impose more policies regards to re-selling.  Maybe a 10 year (like EC policy) or 15 years MOP before allow to re-sell.  This is to curb speculation flipping. 

i will go for 15 year MOP.  to tame the human greed.

47 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

For BTO flat, i think garment will impose more policies regards to re-selling.  Maybe a 10 year (like EC policy) or 15 years MOP before allow to re-sell.  This is to curb speculation flipping. 

Tame human greed? 

Ownself tame ownself 1st la.

Muayahahah

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, sgcarmart2019 said:

wah 15yr, 5yr Longer than coe

this is to send the message to ppl that HDB flat is to buy to stay long term, not to flip. 

11 hours ago, sgcarmart2019 said:

why dont you say singapore surrounding waters all is waterfront?

north south east west northeast northwest southeast southwest all is water right?

Different; I'm citing examples of official regions announced as Waterfront.

Of course if it's up to me (minister), I'll declare all surrounding waters as Waterfront so that I can make big profit when selling the land :grin:

On 10/10/2019 at 9:28 PM, Windwaver said:

Hey guys, don't forget Northeast also got Waterfront leh, maybe that will serve as a good base for comparison :grin:

Tuas oso waterfront hor...

Pasir Panjang and west coast would be a good option as the prices are just starting to creep up.

to me it’s all hype until reality kicks in.. like Jurong Lake District..

what are the upside gains and appreciation to date?

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

On 10/9/2019 at 11:24 AM, Jusnel said:

This will reduce upward mobility and social progress.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:49 PM, awhtc said:

This will reduce upward mobility and social progress.

Want upward mobility, buy other HDB estates or EC lah.... who's forcing them to buy this Waterfront HDB? 

Supersonic
10 minutes ago, bernardkohdm said:

yah I know of pity Genting.. the area is planned for 2nd CBD a long time ago but recently not much news from government on the progress... and the hotel seems to serve no attraction or near any passenger port to make it attractive in that locale.

Actually that hotel have some business, people who are on business trip and need to go companies in Jurong/Tuas area stay in that hotel la.

• Praise 1