Toddler dies at Jewel Changi Airport

Carmour

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/toddler-dies-after-mirror-falls-her-fashion-store-jewel-changi-airport

SINGAPORE - An 18-month-old toddler died in hospital on Friday (Aug 23) after a standing mirror fell on her inside fashion store Urban Revivo at Jewel Changi Airport.

A spokesman for Jewel Changi Airport said that the accident had occurred because a full-length mirror in the store had fallen and injured the child.

Staff on-site administered first aid to the child while waiting for the paramedics to arrive.

"We are working closely with the tenant to ascertain the details of the incident," said the spokesman. "Out of respect for the privacy of the family, we are unable to comment further."

The Singapore Civil Defence Force said they responded to a medical incident at 78 Airport Boulevard at 12.33pm on Friday. Police said the child was unconscious when she was taken to Changi General Hospital, where she was subsequently pronounced dead.

Police are investigating the unnatural death.

hzmorgue0824.jpg

According to Lianhe Wanbao, the child's family, believed to be tourists from China, collected her body from the morgue on Aug 24, accompanied by Jewel staff. PHOTO: LIANHE WANBAO

Urban Revivo told The Straits Times it was "deeply saddened by the tragic accident" and that it was assisting the police with its investigations.

Both the store and Jewel Changi Airport said they were in contact with the family of the child and supporting them through the difficult time.

According to Chinese-language newspaper Lianhe Wanbao, the child's family, believed to be tourists from China, collected her body from the morgue on Saturday morning, accompanied by Jewel staff.

Pictures taken after the accident show the store was cordoned off and a sign was put up to inform customers it was "closed for stock take".

hzjewel0824wb.jpg

Pictures taken after the accident show the store was cordoned off and a sign was put up to inform customers it was "closed for stock take". PHOTO: LIANHE WANBAO

Shin Min Daily News reported that witnesses at the mall saw staff from the store asking nearby shops for ice to apply first aid for the toddler after the accident.

According to its website, Urban Revivo is a Chinese fashion clothing store founded in 2006, with 200 stores in China and across the world, including Europe, North America and Japan.

The store has three outlets in Singapore, including Jewel Changi Airport, Plaza Singapura and Raffles City.

Several incidents have been reported at Jewel Changi Airport since it opened its doors in April.

On May 11, a five-year-old boy suffered a minor cut on his toe after his slipper was caught in an escalator. He was assessed by a doctor on the site after the incident.

Three cases of injury were reported in June.

On June 14, a woman injured her hand after tripping while walking on the sky nets attraction at Canopy Park.

A 14-year-old girl required nine stitches on her face after she suffered a cut while playing at the Mirror Maze attraction at Canopy Park on June 19.

A boy was taken to hospital on June 24 after getting his foot stuck in an escalator. Rescue tools were used to free the boy's foot before he was taken to KK Women's and Children's Hospital.

This article was first published in The Straits Times. Permission required for reproduction.

Edited by Carmour
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 2

I think shops.should review installations that pose safety issue with kids. Not all shoppers are adults although the guardians should also be responsible for their own care. 

• Praise 1

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/toddler-killed-by-falling-mirror-cremated-family-returned-to-jewel-changi-airport-for

The newspaper identified the toddler as Lai Jiaxin, and said she was with her family and a few other relatives when the incident occurred.

According to its report, a few children had knocked down the full-length, stand-alone mirror while playing in the Urban Revivo store. The mirror fell on the toddler, who happened to be standing in front of it.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

While is the responsibility of the stores to ensure hazard free and child friendly environment, it is also the responsibility of the parent to control their children.

In the report, some kids were playing and knocked down the mirror... hence tragedy happened.

I had never allowed my 2 kids to play inside any stores.  They like to run around and play hide-and-seek hiding behind display rack and I always stop them from doing so..

RIP

• Praise 3

Could this be the free standing mirror at the store? Pix taken from a news article featuring the shop's opening months ago

Screenshot_20190826-111351_Chrome.jpg

• Praise 5

4 hours ago, Jon_cclau said:

While is the responsibility of the stores to ensure hazard free and child friendly environment, it is also the responsibility of the parent to control their children.

In the report, some kids were playing and knocked down the mirror... hence tragedy happened.

I had never allowed my 2 kids to play inside any stores.  They like to run around and play hide-and-seek hiding behind display rack and I always stop them from doing so..

RIP

I saw many times kids play inside store, and parents shouted at them to stop playing but kids ignore and continue playing, and parents also never be firm and stop them.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

21 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I saw many times kids play inside store, and parents shouted at them to stop playing but kids ignore and continue playing, and parents also never be firm and stop them.

Imagine if my kids are the one who knocked down the mirror while playing and cause the death of a toddle, I would probably live the rest of my life feeling guilty..

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Soya said:

Could this be the free standing mirror at the store? Pix taken from a news article featuring the shop's opening months ago

Screenshot_20190826-111351_Chrome.jpg

that is probably the mirror, i think these mirror better be drilled onto the wall and not let it be free standing.

I walked past that store yesterday and I thought there was a private close door sale going on as there were many people inside the store. 

R.I.P. 

36 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

The parents have hired a legal eagle to take on this case!

I think what the parents did was right. Frankly speaking, no one knows exactly what happens in the store. Everyone is just speculating here and there on social media. It might be the parent's fault and it might be the store's fault. Best to let the law decide.

Some shops have this racks filled to the brim with glass wares or canned foods. All it takes is a kid to pull one of the items and they will fall off. I think they should avoid stacking so high and the heavier items at the lower racks.

children playing in fashion shop quite common, i saw children pull down the whole rack of clothing (those free standing rack).

13 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

children playing in fashion shop quite common, i saw children pull down the whole rack of clothing (those free standing rack).

Children love to play in any stores, even in supermarket and foodcourt. They can be seen running and chasing each other. 🙄

↡ Advertisement