Jaguar XE

Damienic

The Jaguar will be far more "entertaining" and "special".

The Passat will be likely far better equipped, efficient and loads more practical. Don't even need to refer to specs for this.

Not exactly lei. I'm not too brand conscious. But here's here what I see from the paper that are most significant to me. The other differences not that high priority for me.

2.0 Passat Exclusiveline pros

1) Higher. Possibly better headroom

2) More hp and Torque engine

3) Dynamic chasis control

4) bigger boot

Jaguar XE pros

1) Longer wheelbase and wider. Possibly more legroom

2) Aluminium intensive chasis

3) Rear Wheel drive

4) Better suspension system

↡ Advertisement

Not exactly lei. I'm not too brand conscious. But here's here what I see from the paper that are most significant to me. The other differences not that high priority for me.

2.0 Passat Exclusiveline pros

1) Higher. Possibly better headroom

2) More hp and Torque engine

3) Dynamic chasis control

4) bigger boot

Jaguar XE pros

1) Longer wheelbase and wider. Possibly more legroom

2) Aluminium intensive chasis

3) Rear Wheel drive

4) Better suspension system

Don't have "possibly" when choosing a car. The XE is launch is just 1.5 week away. After that you can check out the XE and make a better choice.

Turbocharged

What I'm referring to are the brand principles of each car.

Jaguars are about fun and driving experience. In the XE's case it is exemplary handling delivered by advanced suspension and aluminum architecture. It is also going to be more 'exclusive' and 'special' in Singapore where Jaguars have fallen out of favor or are seen as rich car.

Besides that, Jaguar also is more about the 'show'. Ever seen the way the air-con vents unfurl and gear knob rises in a XF?

The Passat, being Volkswagen, is equipped with lots of niceties like ventilated massage seats on Exclusiveline. Definitely more practical due to better boot, better passenger space and efficient due to Volkswagen MQB architecture and TSi engines (Jaguar petrol engines are still Ford EcoBoost).

Between these two cars it is your priorities that will decide which is a "better car".

Edited by 7hm

Jaguars are about fun and driving experience. In the XE's case it is exemplary handling delivered by advanced suspension and aluminum architecture. It is also going to be more 'exclusive' and 'special' in Singapore where Jaguars have fallen out of favor or are seen as rich car.

Besides that, Jaguar also is more about the 'show'. Ever seen the way the air-con vents unfurl and gear knob rises in a XF?

The Passat, being Volkswagen, is equipped with lots of niceties like ventilated massage seats on Exclusiveline. Definitely more practical due to better boot, better passenger space and efficient due to Volkswagen MQB architecture and TSi engines (Jaguar petrol engines are still Ford EcoBoost).

Between these two cars it is your priorities that will decide which is a "better car".

Oh, the XE engine will be Ford ones? Can confirm? [confused]

I somehow don't believe XFD is 8 second century sprint.

When I was ferrying my 3 children with 2 booster and my wife, normal acceleration is about 8 second.

When I am alone and put to S mode once at LCK, the 0-100km/hour looks more like half of 8 second after I depress the throttle. The force really pull my body back onto my car seat

I guess the perception of turbo kick can be deceptive because the acceleration takes place over a very short amount of time only (hence the sudden forward jerk).

The power numbers do not lie. But lately, advances in transmission (like fast shifting DSG and 7/8 sp auto) can palpably improve 0-100 timing too.

Anyone have any opinion on the 2.0 passat exclusiveline vs the XE prestige just by looking at paper specs.

Both going for around the same price +/- 10k.

XE pecs in post 148 of this thread.

passat B8 specs in this link;

http://www.volkswagen.com.sg/en/models/Passat1/versions.s9_trimlevel_detail.suffix.html/passat~2F2-0-tsi-exclusiveline.html#/tab=a40d954ab2b939fa6a9ff61fd594fbf0

Passat?? OMG, no fight at all lol.....

Passat?? OMG, no fight at all lol.....

Why?

Oh, the XE engine will be Ford ones? Can confirm? [confused]

Yeah. Confirm

The ones available at coming XE launch is the ford engine. The igneium petrol only start manufacturing start 2016. spec is abt 240hp and 320 Nm.

Tks 7hm for pointing out.

the XE is benchmark against the 3 series. For that, it failed miserably based on overseas articles.

Of course the local PAID review will sing praises after praises for the car.

Passat is fwd.

XE is still rearwheel drive. Not sure if this means a better driving enjoyment.

But I would hazard a guess. The car on the hood will get the buyers wallet out

the XE is benchmark against the 3 series. For that, it failed miserably based on overseas articles.

Passat is fwd.

Ypu have any links to those articles. So far all the XE reviews and comparisons I managed to find are the XE S. V6 engine with adaptive dynamics. (Very different animal form the local offering).

Ypu have any links to those articles. So far all the XE reviews and comparisons I managed to find are the XE S. V6 engine with adaptive dynamics. (Very different animal form the local offering).

unfortunately not a single one for 2.0T. I supposed the western countries are more liberal and used Diesel and high capacity which is tax friendly with emission

Why?

To me Jaguar as a brand definitely higher status then VW. Design wise also XE definitely nicer than Passat both inside and outside (maybe is vs VW CC is different story). These 2 reasons are enough already. To me VW is not even a real luxury brand and while i am not exactly brand conscious (i am driving a Hyundai anyway) but if for around the same money then of course i go for the better brand. One of the earlier post sais XE is in the C class and 3 series range. To me that would be a more difficult question: buy a "mass market" luxury brand (Merc, BMW, Audi) or a more niche luxury brand (Jaguar).

• Praise 1

To me Jaguar as a brand definitely higher status then VW. Design wise also XE definitely nicer than Passat both inside and outside (maybe is vs VW CC is different story). These 2 reasons are enough already. To me VW is not even a real luxury brand and while i am not exactly brand conscious (i am driving a Hyundai anyway) but if for around the same money then of course i go for the better brand. One of the earlier post sais XE is in the C class and 3 series range. To me that would be a more difficult question: buy a "mass market" luxury brand (Merc, BMW, Audi) or a more niche luxury brand (Jaguar).

I think you're right....... the XE comes closer to 3-Series/C-Class than a Passat/Mondeo. A lot of reports says it actually comes VERY close so hopefully with the new engines next year it can get right up there.

The other thing to look at....... you prefer service done by Wearnes or VW?

My colleague has a Passat and is always complaining about VW's ideas of "service" whilst I'm with Wearnes out of the Infiniti stable and absolutely have no complaint. Maybe a reason why Aston also just picked Wearnes to be their agent.

I looked at the XF before deciding to get the Infiniti and even though I liked it, I knew it had reached the end of days and special pricing from Wearnes was only to clear stock - the new XF is supposed to be a huge step up. I like the XF inside and out (the software in the current model is poor but the rest is fine) but have only seen the XE from the outside - nice. I saw it in white so, for me, not the best colour but size, shape and style etc. all looked good. I will make a serious effort to look at Jag again in a few years time.

• Praise 1

Passat is fwd.

SURE XE FAILS?? Which reports have you been reading? See these few below from a simple search.

Jaguar XE vs BMW 4-series vs Mercedes C-class triple test review (2015)

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/comparison/2015/jaguar-xe-vs-bmw-3-series-vs-mercedes-c-class-triple-test-review-2015/

Verdict

Seldom are giant test verdicts so tough to call. Let’s not pretend this is any kind of walkover for the XE because the opposition is too tough for that. But the BMW, exciting as it is to drive, does fall first, and not merely because of the Gran Coupe’s price disadvantage. Had we thrown in a 3-series it would have suffered from the same debilitating lack of refinement that relegates this 4-series to third place. These are sports saloons, but they’re also meant to be miniature luxury machines and the 4’s uncouth engine and poor road noise suppression doesn’t cut it.

The Jaguar and Mercedes are harder to split – not because they’re so close in character, but because they’re so different. For many buyers, for casual car fans and your company’s accountant, the C-class is unarguably the better car. It oozes class, it’s got the best interior, it’s brilliantly refined and yes, it even handles tidily. For the Jag to win despite its slightly tighter packaging and occasional quality foibles, it’d have to be brilliant to drive and we’d have to really care that it was. Fortunately, it is and we do. If the BMW’s athleticism comes at the expense of luxury, the reverse is true of the Mercedes. It’s a brilliant car, but one lacking a little dynamic sparkle in the face of the XE, a car whose chassis doesn’t make you choose between luxury and performance, and whose other qualities are close enough to the Merc’s for us to accept as penance. It’s tight, but in the battle of the sports saloons, only the Brit really feels like one, and that’s why for us, the Jaguar XE wins.

Motor Trend first to compare Jaguar XE and BMW 3 Series

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/29/bmw-335i-jaguar-xe-comparison-motor-trend-video/

Lieberman says the English company spent its money on the XE suspension and it shows, but there have been other efforts from other automakers with excellent dynamic chops that weren't enough to threaten the BMW. His final assessment is that one of the two cars is awesome, and one is quite a bit better. Watch the video to find out which is which.

Jaguar XE S Vs BMW 335i Comparison Will Surprise You

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/06/jaguar-xe-s-vs-bmw-335i-comparison-will.html

Neutral Newbie

Nice research and good read from reliable source!

SURE XE FAILS?? Which reports have you been reading? See these few below from a simple search.

Jaguar XE vs BMW 4-series vs Mercedes C-class triple test review (2015)

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/comparison/2015/jaguar-xe-vs-bmw-3-series-vs-mercedes-c-class-triple-test-review-2015/

Verdict

Seldom are giant test verdicts so tough to call. Let’s not pretend this is any kind of walkover for the XE because the opposition is too tough for that. But the BMW, exciting as it is to drive, does fall first, and not merely because of the Gran Coupe’s price disadvantage. Had we thrown in a 3-series it would have suffered from the same debilitating lack of refinement that relegates this 4-series to third place. These are sports saloons, but they’re also meant to be miniature luxury machines and the 4’s uncouth engine and poor road noise suppression doesn’t cut it.

The Jaguar and Mercedes are harder to split – not because they’re so close in character, but because they’re so different. For many buyers, for casual car fans and your company’s accountant, the C-class is unarguably the better car. It oozes class, it’s got the best interior, it’s brilliantly refined and yes, it even handles tidily. For the Jag to win despite its slightly tighter packaging and occasional quality foibles, it’d have to be brilliant to drive and we’d have to really care that it was. Fortunately, it is and we do. If the BMW’s athleticism comes at the expense of luxury, the reverse is true of the Mercedes. It’s a brilliant car, but one lacking a little dynamic sparkle in the face of the XE, a car whose chassis doesn’t make you choose between luxury and performance, and whose other qualities are close enough to the Merc’s for us to accept as penance. It’s tight, but in the battle of the sports saloons, only the Brit really feels like one, and that’s why for us, the Jaguar XE wins.

Motor Trend first to compare Jaguar XE and BMW 3 Series

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/29/bmw-335i-jaguar-xe-comparison-motor-trend-video/

Lieberman says the English company spent its money on the XE suspension and it shows, but there have been other efforts from other automakers with excellent dynamic chops that weren't enough to threaten the BMW. His final assessment is that one of the two cars is awesome, and one is quite a bit better. Watch the video to find out which is which.

Jaguar XE S Vs BMW 335i Comparison Will Surprise You

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/06/jaguar-xe-s-vs-bmw-335i-comparison-will.html

Launching soon right? How much? Good alternative to the BMWs & Mercs. Interior is good looking too...

faaae6c7f796c8c50e2f1d8b554d68e4.jpg

Edited by Karu
↡ Advertisement