Jaguar XE

Damienic

this are stuff u use every day and if its not done well , then it sure would irritate me. Of course there are work around.

Making start stop is activated so that u dont get an OSIM chair

Having a larger rear opening at passenger door as the C pillar is taking up space and rear leg room space. Hyper bad for anyone above 65 year old.

wind noise can be either improved upon with sound insulation or louder music. But I dont see myself listening to loud music just to get noise induce deafness

HU, some would argue u normally just use once or twice. Its not an ipad but just when u want it, that additional second off the sight of the road is discomforting.

stitching. some can accept, some cannot. But as long as within reasonable tolerance , it should be fine. Having say that, would you wear a 100 dollar shirt to the office with badly sworn lines?

I am sure this seem nitpicking , but different level of price point, different folks, different driver profile segment I supposed.

True enough about the XE not being the most well-made nor with the best human accessibility options. In comparison with the variety of German & Japanese marques, it clearly ain't. Mercs has got nice and well tailored interior. Bimmer, on the other hand, has the performance, grunt and definitely handling that BMW's always known to have.

I feel that the Jag, however, is the go-between. Nice interior but not exactly well-made and handling is definitely up there with the bimmer. 

Electronics wise, XE is definitely behind. Their optional add-ons prices are out of this world as well.

The XE factor that appeals to buyers will be aesthetics as well as a kind of exclusivity on the road. 

I do get to see them more and more XEs on the road - but not to be mistaken as the top sellers for jaguar tho! 

(I think the top selling series might be the new XJs)

Lastly, just for fun, the analogy of a $100 shirt with bad seams seemed kind of off.

For me, its more like I paid $1000 for a branded full suit, only to find the inner linings not stitched up properly, pockets openings being too small and even some missing buttons! 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

The sales figure are telling.

Both Porsche and Infiniti outsold Jag in the first 6 months of this year. With new XE and XF models.......... Still not moving.

Wearnes has been very pro-active on their Q50 sales pricing and even their larger QX models - already seen one fugly 5.6L QX80 even though only launched a few months ago, and there are far better machines in the $400k range.

Their JLR unit seems to push harder only when units are getting near End of Life, and there were some super deals for the Freelander before extinction and XF a few months ago before the update arrived.

Sdf4786k is correct that if pricing, spec and, yes, build quality don't improve then Wearnes will be sitting on quite a few units. I hope JLR's new engines help but they do have to improve the interior to match exterior and mechanics. I would like to see the Jags take their fight to the Germans but, at the moment, they have a challenge.

Dont own the XE but

have driven all 3 models each a couple of times

as people say different strokes different people

dont find the XE "cheap" at all, do not know why people keep harping about cheap materials

if u go into the C180, there is NO leather smell bec it does not have real leather, no front back adjustment, worse still most of the side and back seats covered with plastics. at least the XE is covered with leather that make u feel like u are in a new car.

Go touch the synthetic leather in C180, that really feels "cheap" and the cushion is so hard

The 318/316 interior looks even more dated,

Its the small rear of the XE that attracts the most criticism. 

Petrol XE performance way better than C180 and 318. probably bec its a 2 L

Performance for XE petrol and diesel is better than C180 and base 3 series, that's for sure. Handling is very capable too, on par with 3 series or maybe the baby Jaguar may slightly edge it, at least that's what most car reviewers are touting.

But when we talk about other things, like built quality, material finish, standard kit, slow head unit, loud wind & road noise and expensive options, the XE may not be as impressive.

• Praise 13

Dont own the XE but

dont find the XE "cheap" at all, do not know why people keep harping about cheap materials

if u go into the C180, there is NO leather smell bec it does not have real leather, no front back adjustment, worse still most of the side and back seats covered with plastics. at least the XE is covered with leather that make u feel like u are in a new car.

Go touch the synthetic leather in C180, that really feels "cheap" and the cushion is so hard

I think different people got different expectations lah... from interior pictures I see online XE looks fantastic, from reviews most of them say interior quality is decent. Someone who is already used to driving in a better car may find XE cheap, those upgrading from cheaper cars will think it's fantastic.

• Praise 1

I see there are some debates going on here. Jaguar XE is indeed a good car, no doubt about it.

This beauty is actually one of my choices but unfortunately, the pillars are way too big and creating too many blind spots and taken up too much space else this will definitely be my top choice! For the price, the OMV and the uniqueness on the road, what else do you want to compare? Another point is that the sales department is not working as hard comparing with the rivals....

Whether petrol or diesel engine, it depends a lot on individual's mileage. If you are always on the road, get the diesel engine. That makes sense else go for petrol engine for a more refined driving experience.

To compare XE vs C class, A4 and 3er, this XE is no doubt my 2nd, if not top choice.

End of the day and just imagine driving a XE on the road. You will be proud of your ride due to the uniqueness for not being conservative on resale lah, hard to find spare parts lah, etc. which is just another common driver's mindset. Go get a Toyota or a Vezel then! :p

Nonetheless, owning XE tells a lot about the car owner - Really know how to live with a sophisticated lifestyle. :)

• Praise 7

Abrupt jerk when switching to lower gears on cold start

Does anyone has the same experience as me? I do not have the habit of heating up the engine so I drive off pretty much straight away after starting the car in the morning. 

I am not heavy on my right leg thus the tendency is that I will be in the 2nd/3rd gear coming out of the carpark. When I need to slow down, I will simply release the accelerator and the car might have an abrupt jerk when shifting to a lower gear.

Once, the jerk is so bad that my wife thought I hit the curb or something on the road - yes, it is that bad  [shocked]

Does anyone has the same experience?

Hi bro,

Me too, I felt it a couple of times. I didnt think about it as lower gear change. But u mught be right.

Anyway, I figured it was the engine responding too fast to my lifting off the fuel pedal, so I switched to Dynamic mode.

Solved the problem straight away. Also gives a better driving experience. Did not result in increased fuel consumption.

Hv been driving for 6 months, first 2 months Normal, Dynamic mode the rest. Been getting the same consumption.

Give it a try? Confirm my hypothsis?

• Praise 2

Dont own the XE but

there is a little known fact and that some of the leather are not full leather so the side are simulated.leather look. 

Some have even mention that the tanning process of leather has carcinogen in there but its within permit table limit.

And we know that permit table may mean .. oops my QA slip up, and no one really check this kind of stuff until its too late...

• Praise 1

I see there are some debates going on here. Jaguar XE is indeed a good car, no doubt about it.

This beauty is actually one of my choices but unfortunately, the pillars are way too big and creating too many blind spots and taken up too much space else this will definitely be my top choice! For the price, the OMV and the uniqueness on the road, what else do you want to compare? Another point is that the sales department is not working as hard comparing with the rivals....

Whether petrol or diesel engine, it depends a lot on individual's mileage. If you are always on the road, get the diesel engine. That makes sense else go for petrol engine for a more refined driving experience.

To compare XE vs C class, A4 and 3er, this XE is no doubt my 2nd, if not top choice.

End of the day and just imagine driving a XE on the road. You will be proud of your ride due to the uniqueness for not being conservative on resale lah, hard to find spare parts lah, etc. which is just another common driver's mindset. Go get a Toyota or a Vezel then! :p

Nonetheless, owning XE tells a lot about the car owner - Really know how to live with a sophisticated lifestyle. :)

u are right. The Is200T nor the Q50 comes closed to being a contender.

But from buyer prospective, IF u need to used it on an everyday basis. Then yes, every thing counts.

And as we are not buying a washing machine nor a vacuum cleaner, when it comes to the 2nd most expensive item after a property, the buyer must really nail it . else the money can be put to better use in ETF investment getting marginal returns or AUD to sit on it till the economy turns around.

Trying not to take a slogan out of another car company but in a similar fashion, what gives you driving pleasure.

The fact that it looks good, feels good ? or the fact the people look at you in awesomeness like a kungfu panda saving china ?

I rather a plain jane look but gives u plenty of enjoyment. I would go so far as to put it, if it does not look ugly like a prius and goes like a older version of a Golf GTi, I would be hard press not to plonk money down.

20150909_01_02-932x524.jpg

This is the thing I do not understand the most. Nobody seems to criticize the C180 lack of materials and equipment.

It has a nice exterior design to be sure and is a decent car but compared to competitors, the materials, equipment level, and interior finishing are really sorely lacking.

My 2 cents is that XE compared to C180 definitely has better materials and equipment level.

• Praise 2

For me, the XE is good looking and handles sufficiently well. The interior is functional and that is good enough for me. I tend to keep my cars for the whole 10 years so I need things to be working and easy to fix. I had an Audi previously and although the interior was nice - but things like cup-holders and the glove compartment handle broke. Yeah, the Audi cup-holder slides out and looks damn cool and the glove compartment comes down slowly and soft to the touch, but they broke (though not a problem for those who change cars every 5 years). So these days I am justing looking for something simple and works.

• Praise 1

u are right. The Is200T nor the Q50 comes closed to being a contender.

But from buyer prospective, IF u need to used it on an everyday basis. Then yes, every thing counts.

And as we are not buying a washing machine nor a vacuum cleaner, when it comes to the 2nd most expensive item after a property, the buyer must really nail it . else the money can be put to better use in ETF investment getting marginal returns or AUD to sit on it till the economy turns around.

Trying not to take a slogan out of another car company but in a similar fashion, what gives you driving pleasure.

The fact that it looks good, feels good ? or the fact the people look at you in awesomeness like a kungfu panda saving china ?

I rather a plain jane look but gives u plenty of enjoyment. I would go so far as to put it, if it does not look ugly like a prius and goes like a older version of a Golf GTi, I would be hard press not to plonk money down.

You've said it so yourself, it's a question of what one values.  Something you may consider strange but not everyone shares the same values or preferences as you.

This thread is meant for those who want to share their XE experiences or those who want to learn more about the XE.  So why is there a need to be supercilious and odious?  [shakehead]  

• Praise 2

This is the thing I do not understand the most. Nobody seems to criticize the C180 lack of materials and equipment.

It has a nice exterior design to be sure and is a decent car but compared to competitors, the materials, equipment level, and interior finishing are really sorely lacking.

My 2 cents is that XE compared to C180 definitely has better materials and equipment level.

The only premium thing about the c180 is the badge
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged

imo.. resale in SG is bulls..

earlier this year i was quoted less than lousy resale to replace my C.. SGCarmart webbie on average was going for about 110k but repubic was quoted me some 85k.. 

and when one scraps the car... ya.. it's true the more popular ones may fetch a few hundreds more... but hey... it's a mere small amount..

so... my conclusion, no need to bother about resale.. just go for the car u love.. as long as mechanically reliable and able to keep your interest going (or whatever your criteria is)

• Praise 5

imo.. resale in SG is bulls..

earlier this year i was quoted less than lousy resale to replace my C.. SGCarmart webbie on average was going for about 110k but repubic was quoted me some 85k.. 

and when one scraps the car... ya.. it's true the more popular ones may fetch a few hundreds more... but hey... it's a mere small amount..

so... my conclusion, no need to bother about resale.. just go for the car u love.. as long as mechanically reliable and able to keep your interest going (or whatever your criteria is)

resale value depends on the model - most important, mileage, and who dealer is buying over

and also who you know - aka (did u know anyone from C&C , or Republic Auto management)

as if your case of 110K vs 85K (did you ask your SE why so much difference? what did he/she say / what excuses?)

if really give cockk excuse, then sell outside, get more $ then come back to buy the car without trade in

most important is those special roadshow / promotions, wait for that, all the time, C&C have 13-20K "Overtrade on "popular models" " ontop of your trade in ( I know some people will say, that is buffer into the price of MB, etc, but least u feel shiok rite/ - got over-trade better than no / little over-trade rite) - aka, just using C&C as example, other brands - such as Volvo also have overtrade etc ...

2 cents thought

Edited by rickosw
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

yes bro, might be a wrong timing.

anyway, i questioned the SE and she told me some bull crap that she'll talk to management if i'm 'genuinely' interested.. and it'll be another a couple k more overtrade... it's bull cos it's all predetermined already.. and overtrade is ultimately my own money, not a direct discount.

overall, it's still crappy resale from their inhouse. 

it doesn't take much calculation to be able to tell it's better off selling on my own outside.

anyway.. decision back then was to walk from the deal and drive my current car till the end of life.

• Praise 1

Hi guys,

I don't warm up the car per se. But I do wait till the temperature bubble start moving up before driving off.

I do feel that the car does jerk if you stop too abruptly. If u notice some. times the car can be in 5th gear when u take your foot off the pedal and it won't drop gear till you slow down to 30km/h in D gear and normal mode.

So braking abruptly at the last minute force the car to down gear quickly in a short disctance which cause the jerk. I'm not sure if it is more pronounced when engine is not warm. But I should think putting in S gear or dynamic would solve this issue.

For the other part of the discussion. I think it's hard to rationalize the purchase of a luxury car. If all things considered, in SG it does not make much sense to own a car at all. Or if needed just buy the most functional. E.g.vezel, vios, etc...

I guess most of us have different thought process and rational for our choices. But the fact that we end up choosing XE, there's a possibility that we may in some ways think similarly, hence the reason why we come into this thread.

Really no point bickering why XE and not C180 or 316 or A4. No end to this.

Most impt is how owning and driving the car makes u feel. Luxury good purchases is more emotional than rational.

Would be interesting to hear what ride you drive SDF and also if u have any experience owning a Jag. Maybe we can learn something from you, as a jag owner.

Edited by ninerzero

REPOST

Hi guys,

I don't warm up the car per se. But I do wait till the temperature bubble start moving up before driving off.

I do feel that the car does jerk if you stop too abruptly. If u notice some. times the car can be in 5th gear when u take your foot off the pedal and it won't drop gear till you slow down to 30km/h in D gear and normal mode.

So braking abruptly at the last minute force the car to down gear quickly in a short disctance which cause the jerk. I'm not sure if it is more pronounced when engine is not warm. But I should think putting in S gear or dynamic would solve this issue.

For the other part of the discussion. I think it's hard to rationalize the purchase of a luxury car. If all things considered, in SG it does not make much sense to own a car at all. Or if needed just buy the most functional. E.g.vezel, vios, etc...

I guess most of us have different thought process and rational for our choices. But the fact that we end up choosing XE, there's a possibility that we may in some ways think similarly, hence the reason why we come into this thread.

Really no point bickering why XE and not C180 or 316 or A4. No end to this.

Most impt is how owning and driving the car makes u feel. Luxury good purchases is more emotional than rational. For e.g. my car must have auto tailgate, steering column move up for easy exit, memory seat (although I'm the only driver). Do I really really need these functions, answer is no. The want is really a lot more emotional that anything else.

I'm not a hardcore Jag fan. Only reason why I buy because it was a good deal then and I know that I'm not getting ripped off by the dealer. I can never understand why ppl would buy merc or bmw when they know that the dealer is making astronomical margins off them. The way i see it, it is likely an emotional appeal rather than anything else. Hence there is really no point debating with merc or bmw owners on this matter.

But after owning the Jag for about 6 months now, I'm appreciating the brand more and the difference between a Jag vs the Germans collectively is getting more apparent. And it kind of reaffirmed the decision that I made. Starting to see where this brand has come from and where it's going and you gotta give them props for how they are trying to revamp their whole line up in the last few years. Can't say that they are 100% successful yet but definitely on the right track. Look at jag 10 years ago. Just look at the X type vs XE. Am just glad to be part of this transformation, eventhough there's no material benefit to me as an owner. Again, emotional.

Having said that i won't hesitate to dump the Jag for another brand if the other fulfill my needs, which is going to be very different from everyone.

Would be interesting to hear what ride you drive SDF and also if u have any experience owning a Jag. Maybe we can learn something from you, as a jag owner.

Edited by ninerzero
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2