ROM gonna have a makeover too!

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

Been to ROM once and coincidentally only recently in July. No idea why but it reminded me of Mandai Crematorium's holding area! This makeover is much needed, just like myCarForum.😌

ST_20190312_RRMARRIAGE128LUH_4685309.jpg.8714782f78711b7b78083a2c6335059c.jpg

rice_media_ROM_03-1024x768.thumb.jpg.7a6646d5044aa0f6157a662b4e6064f7.jpg

Inside the solemnisation room, the color is dull and boring. There is no natural lighting. In its place yellow/orangey lights. Pictures taken on mobile phones will turn out yellowish if you don't adjust the white balance. 

bp_print4_030918_9.jpg.b6202ad250f672ec2512976f255e3836.jpg

Tell me the colors ain't depressing? No love in the air. 

Curtains drawn to reveal a garden for couples to take photos after the solemnisation. Everything is so systematic. 

ROM-To-Be-Redesigned-By-Students-Because-It-Looks-Like-A-Polyclinic-2.thumb.jpg.c1847d51e8111e97240faab0c388ba50.jpg

REAL-LOVE-WORKS.thumb.jpg.201a14a38044a9c5b7e3670c107e3e23.jpg

ROM To Be Redesigned By Students Because It Looks Like A ‘Polyclinic’

Pragmatism makes many a Singaporean couple. After all, we live in a place where the idea of a romantic – or unromantic – proposal starts with “BTO ai mai?” 

Perhaps this may explain why the officiating of marriages tends to drift towards practicality than lovey-dovey vibes. 

We’re talking about the Registry of Marriages (ROM) building here, in case you haven’t gotten it yet.

Its interiors are often described as tacky and unromantic – “is that a polyclinic counter at the front?” – but things are set to change come 2022.

The building that houses the ROM and Registry of Muslim Marriages (ROMM) will be undergoing a design uplift. Hopefully, it’ll inject more ‘lomantic’ feels for every couple’s big day.

Modernising ROM with open & garden concepts
Earlier this year, Singaporeans were told that the iconic Registration of Marriages (ROM) building, in Fort Canning Park, will be refurbished starting mid-2020.

About 150 students from Singapore University of Technology & Design (SUTD), Temasek Polytechnic, and Ngee Ann Polytechnic, have put forward design proposals to reimagine its interiors.

On Friday (Aug 23), TODAY Online reported that 7 concepts have been shortlisted based on creativity and practicality. 

Other than artist impressions, there are also small-scale models of their designs to give you a better feel of their ideas.

ROM-NGEE-ANN.jpg.55ead0cddd82d3dcdc7669e09ab06348.jpg

EQUATORIAL-CONGRUENCE.jpg.2d72e61b22b0be328a0c33e57d227d04.jpg

Among some of the concepts proposed entail:

- replacing current waiting area with a central garden for a zen and relaxed atmosphere
- smaller and more intimate waiting spaces
- using natural lighting to brighten up solemnisation rooms including elements of greenery using columns that look like intertwining trees

You are welcome to drop by the ROM and ROMM building from now to 20 Sep to have a closer look at the shortlisted designs. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

It just reflects a change in taste and aesthetics, doesn't mean the original design was flawed.

20-30 years ago, there were no digital cameras, much less handphone cameras, so white-balance was not something in consideration [laugh]

omg....bb rom le

congrats and don't worry about the room designs as long as the partner is the right one

👍😀 

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Some say marriage is the death of love. So, look like a columbarium quite apt wat...

i also say

till death do us part.....

5 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

I was at ROM for my friend's solemnization. 💀

But now still have many people go ROM for solemnization? Recent years i have always attended solemnization at outside de. Many people do it at the hotel same day as the banquet.

30 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

I was at ROM for my friend's solemnization. 💀

Condolences to ur friend😂😂

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

Twincharged
53 minutes ago, 13177 said:

But now still have many people go ROM for solemnization? Recent years i have always attended solemnization at outside de. Many people do it at the hotel same day as the banquet.

I did mine at a restaurant that my cousin is a manager at. Reserved two private rooms and hosted about 25 paxs. Only paid about $500. 😂 

Maybe oso put private lomantic rooms so that baby making can start immediately after ROM

Juz saying....

↡ Advertisement