DFS to leave Changi Airport

Tohto

I hope Lotte or Shila get it and bring good looking young Korean promoters here. 

I will support them. 

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

6 hours ago, 13177 said:

Although Shengsiong is getting bigger, but you see they only open in heartland area, think shopping mall also dont have many outlet?!

Because they are smart, open in areas where groceries are highly sought after.

Open supermarket in shopping mall? For what? Isn't it better to be even nearer in the housing estates?

• Praise 1

BTW I am not sure alcohol is the secret to profitability in airports I think it's ladies cosmetics. 

Not all men drink alcohol all day but many women wear cosmetics all day. 

And it's not cheap. A small jar of face cream can be $60.

$60 will get you a lot a lot of cans of beer. So the logistics cost of beer takes so much of the profit already.

The small jar of face cream is all profit. 

And not to be sexist gay men also use a lot of cosmetics and the expensive stuff too.

You can milk them for a lot of money selling make up. 

Maybe Dfs don't know this? 

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

Of course you have to be a lesbian in a man's body to understand that cosmetics is a billion dollar industry. 

Too many men in marketing that can only think like a man. 

Need more ladies in marketing to see where the real opportunities are. 

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, Lotr said:

Retail business is not doing well at all. Metro at centrepoint also closing

yah.... seems like retail really doing badly that many anchor tenants see no point to pay so much for renting such a huge space

On 8/27/2019 at 3:23 PM, Atrecord said:

He cited govt regulation change...

Screenshot_20190827-152054_The Straits Times.jpg

does that mean building Jewel and potentially another terminal will eventually be a white elephant since DFS cannot be without business sense after 40 years in business......... if it is true are we screwed

• Praise 2

9 hours ago, Kangadrool said:

Problem is the overpriced rental, nothing to do with more people shopping online, etc....

both are problems.

I can never understand the problem with rentals tho. If it is too high, why do people keep renting?

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

does that mean building Jewel and potentially another terminal will eventually be a white elephant since DFS cannot be without business sense after 40 years in business......... if it is true are we screwed

Good question. Jewel was super crowded during opening, but this will not last forever. When the dust settles, let's see how the shops fare. In fact, i think the shops/restaurants in T1-3, prob all lost biz when jewel opened.

if there is no good business proposition for the shops in airport terminals - apart from the opening novelty - then they're just another statistic in the number of malls in SG. It's not near, and chances are the rental also not cheap - so if they can't pull in the biz, there will be a problem... sooner or later.

• Praise 3

7 minutes ago, Kusje said:

both are problems.

I can never understand the problem with rentals tho. If it is too high, why do people keep renting?

1) Got many people are looking for things to do. If no job, then open shop lor

2) These people will think that they are better than others, so while others fail/can't survive, they will be able to find creative ways to make things work, and you won't know if you dun try - so they go try...

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Atrecord said:

1) Got many people are looking for things to do. If no job, then open shop lor

2) These people will think that they are better than others, so while others fail/can't survive, they will be able to find creative ways to make things work, and you won't know if you dun try - so they go try...

So the high rental isn't landlord's fault but the fault of these fellows who are willing to rent despite losses.

• Praise 1