Direct Fuel Injection vs Dual Injection Engines

Lotr

Does anyone find that their direct injection engine's performance getting worse over time due to carbon build up

My mileage is quite high now >120k and engine pickup getting worse.

Many cars are using direct injection so they will suffer from the same problems.

For my next car, I would prefer to get one with a dual injection engine.  From the info I gathered, it seems that VW's EA888 and Toyota's D-4S are two such engines.

Any experience to share? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

1 hour ago, Lotr said:

Does anyone find that their direct injection engine's performance getting worse over time due to carbon build up

My mileage is quite high now >120k and engine pickup getting worse.

Many cars are using direct injection so they will suffer from the same problems.

For my next car, I would prefer to get one with a dual injection engine.  From the info I gathered, it seems that VW's EA888 and Toyota's D-4S are two such engines.

Any experience to share? 

Not all EA888 are created equal

some EA888 engine from US are single injection for the 2.0 Turbo

• Praise 2

Mitshibishi Eclipse uses both Port and Direct injection...I read somewhere.

Can someone confirm this  is applicable in Singapore?

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, GoodCar said:

Mitshibishi Eclipse uses both Port and Direct injection...I read somewhere.

Can someone confirm this  is applicable in Singapore?

The best check with C&C.

• Praise 1

What are the symptoms?

If like you said performance suffers that may not be gunk build up on the air intake valves. You may experience  rough engine idling and strong vibrations cos the air intake valves are accumulated with gunk. They cannot open and close properly. This is the potential issue for direct fuel injection.

If you dont experience the above but experience performance loss that could be due to other causes. Most likely the loss of pressure from the in-tank supply pump or the high pressure fuel pump. Or it could be just your fuel injectors are clogged. 

• Praise 4

I'm driving a B&B ride with direct injection and using the Redline SI-1 every 5000km.

Mileage is about 41K from new and touch wood, so far have not experience vibration of any sort.

Redline SI-1.jpg

• Praise 4

I do encounter similar issue mentioned by ts too, my average mileage is about 10k a year and currently 15k.

complaint to ad n a program update was done, and now engine performance back to normal, smooth n extreme responsive.

• Praise 2

33 minutes ago, Mzrmazda3 said:

I'm driving a B&B ride with direct injection and using the Redline SI-1 every 5000km.

Mileage is about 41K from new and touch wood, so far have not experience vibration of any sort.

Redline SI-1.jpg

On an DI engine, this one cleans your fuel injectors only. Your intake valves will be still dirty.

The only way to counter this issue is to install an oil catch can or do walnut blast from time to time.

Edited by Fu11thr0tt1e
  • Praise 6

(edited)
8 hours ago, Watwheels said:

What are the symptoms?

If like you said performance suffers that may not be gunk build up on the air intake valves. You may experience  rough engine idling and strong vibrations cos the air intake valves are accumulated with gunk. They cannot open and close properly. This is the potential issue for direct fuel injection.

If you dont experience the above but experience performance loss that could be due to other causes. Most likely the loss of pressure from the in-tank supply pump or the high pressure fuel pump. Or it could be just your fuel injectors are clogged. 

Did not have rough engine nor strong vibrations.  

HPFP just once already.  In-tank supply pump not yet change.

Will get a bottle of fuel injector cleaner on my next refueling to try out.

Edited by Lotr

On 8/29/2019 at 6:42 PM, Lotr said:

rough idle can be HPFP sensor or CoilPack...

• Praise 1

On 8/29/2019 at 11:42 AM, Lotr said:

Get Red line.  It's really good.

• Praise 2

37 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

39 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

is redline available at petrol kiosk?  I got a bottle of STP at SPC, seems to improve response but not very significant, could even be psychological

9 hours ago, Lotr said:

is redline available at petrol kiosk?  I got a bottle of STP at SPC, seems to improve response but not very significant, could even be psychological

STP Products are just Jet Fuel...means No 1 Kerosense.

• Praise 1

My 115k mileage didn’t suffer this because I had deleted the EGR at a early time maybe when car is 30k mileage 3 years ago but suffered a reduced fuel economy of 1km per litre lesser, and I also added an AOS earlier. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1