What to Do During a Road Traffic Accident

Carbon82

Today is the 1st time I am so involved with an traffic accident (don't worry, I am not hit or affected in anyway). I just crossed the road, walking away from the T-junction between Boon Lay Way and Jurong West Central 2, when I heard a loud bang behind me. Turning around and I saw a Toyota Altis mounting the kerb and moving onto the walkway next to it. A few meters away on the extreme right lane of the road, a Honda Fit Hybrid came to a abrupt stop against the kerb, with fume coming out from it bonnet.

I immediately headed towards the Altis, which was closer to me, to check out the occupant in it. The driver stepped out of his car, filled with white smoke from the airbags activation, and immediately seated on the walkway, appearing dazy. I asked if he is ok, whether he need any assistance, etc. By then, many onlookers started to crowd around the car, taking photos and kaypoing. I asked if anyone has called the police and all kept quiet. So I dialed 999 and report the accident to the officer on the phone (I will share the details later), and request for ambulance to be dispatch (as one foreign worker pointed out to me that the other driver might need assistance). After asking the onlookers to clear away from the driver, I ran cross road to check out the occupant of the Fit.

The driver limped out of his car (again, it was filled with white smoke from the airbag activation) and half laying against the kerb, complaining of chest pain and breathing difficulty. I told him to try breathing in harder and that he should lie down if he is feeling really uncomfortable. I called 999 again, to update them the conditions of both drivers, and was told ambulance is on the way (that is fast, as everything happened within just ~2 min). By then, 2 foreign workers came forward to offer bottled water to the driver, which I stopped them, for medical reasons, but the driver still proceed to take a sip of it, before I manage to snatch it away, explaining to him of the medical implication (of get choked and such).

tYcSeS1.jpg

DJnc0yX.jpg

jubzgNC.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 14

Traffic Police arrived on the scene within 5 min upon receiving my call, and proceed to clear the debris at the junction?! (I'm puzzled but I will not dwelll on it, as maybe that is the standard protocol to ensure the safety of other road user)

Within the next min, a SCDF ambulance arrived at the scene, and I guided them to the Fit driver first, as he seems more in need for medical attention. I have to say that the medical team is very professional and effective, as while 2 were attending to the Fit driver, another medical officer proceed to check out the Altis driver. And within the next min, they have came to decision to send the Fit driver to hospital, while getting the other medical office to continue attending to the Altis driver, whom they deem was in stable condition (he still can communicate clearly with the traffic police and SCDF officer).

69lAv2T.jpg

jlyamjO.jpg

IUKtacw.jpg

I would like to give 2 :a-good::a-good: the 2 foreign workers I mentioned in my posts (the guys in red and blue shirt in the 2nd photo). They put many others to shame. Beside myself, they are the one rushing to check out the drivers and update me their condition. One actually wanted to call police but don't know what number to dial...Good job guys. I hope your employer see this post and can recognise your effort.:yuush:

• Praise 11

38 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Today is the 1st time I am so involved with an traffic accident (don't worry, I am not hit or affected in anyway). I just crossed the road, walking away from the T-junction between Boon Lay Way and Jurong West Central 2, when I heard a loud bang behind me. Turning around and I saw a Toyota Altis mounting the kerb and moving onto the walkway next to it. A few meters away on the extreme right lane of the road, a Honda Fit Hybrid came to a abrupt stop against the kerb, with fume coming out from it bonnet.

I immediately headed towards the Altis, which was closer to me, to check out the occupant in it. The driver stepped out of his car, filled with white smoke from the airbags activation, and immediately seated on the walkway, appearing dazy. I asked if he is ok, whether he need any assistance, etc. By then, many onlookers started to crowd around the car, taking photos and kaypoing. I asked if anyone has called the police and all kept quiet. So I dialed 999 and report the accident to the officer on the phone (I will share the details later), and request for ambulance to be dispatch (as one foreign worker pointed out to me that the other driver might need assistance). After asking the onlookers to clear away from the driver, I ran cross road to check out the occupant of the Fit.

The driver limped out of his car (again, it was filled with white smoke from the airbag activation) and half laying against the kerb, complaining of chest pain and breathing difficulty. I told him to try breathing in harder and that he should lie down if he is feeling really uncomfortable. I called 999 again, to update them the conditions of both drivers, and was told ambulance is on the way (that is fast, as everything happened within just ~2 min). By then, 2 foreign workers came forward to offer bottled water to the driver, which I stopped them, for medical reasons, but the driver still proceed to take a sip of it, before I manage to snatch it away, explaining to him of the medical implication (of get choked and such).

tYcSeS1.jpg

DJnc0yX.jpg

jubzgNC.jpg

good man as you always are.👍👍 Hope the rest are ok. 

• Praise 2

OK here are some useful information to take note of.

Contacting the Police / SCDF

Be very clear with the info provided:

- What happened

- Who / what are involved

- Exact location

- Any other assistance needed

These was what I have reported:

There is a traffic accident involving 2 cars at the junction between Boon Lay Way and Jurong West Central 2, diagonally outside Jurong Point. No pedestrian or other road user was involved. One of the driver appears dizzy and may need medical assistance. I will check out the other driver and revert. (+ my name & contact details)

Attending to the injured

- Do not touch or move them, as any body movement by untrained personnel might resulted in them sustaining further injury.

- Continue to talk to them, not only to keep them awake, but observe if there are any changes in their body movement and behavior.

- Avoid providing any food or drink to the injured, as they might get choked by the food / drink intake in the process.

Pay attention to vehicle(s) / surrounding

While waiting for TP and ambulance to arrive, do go round the car to check if there are any unsafe conditions (if you have the time). What I have done:

- The Altis handbrake was not engaged and engine is still running. I engaged the handbrake and switch off the engine to prevent any accidental activation / movement

- I mentioned that white fume was noted at the bonnet of the Fit, but it was actually vapor from the radiator, so I just asked onlooker to stay clear from the engine compartment (the driver have engaged the handbrake himself)

- Although there are liquid stain on the road / ground, there are not smell of fuel, so no extra precaution was needed. IF there is sign of fuel leakage, best to ask all to stay at least 5m - 10m away the car involved.

• Praise 9

I recount a similar accident that happened to me in Melbourne while on vacation. I can comfortably say that the passerby's without any exception ensured that all of us were safe and did all the admin things of calling the emergency services. Based on the input, Fire Engine and Ambulance was on the scene first and police arrived a bit later in an unmarked car.

One thing I noticed was that the fire brigade did the job of clearing the debris from the road and all the swept up debris was kept in once place until the cars involved were towed away. They also proceeded to spray the car which we were in with some kind of foam to prevent the car from catching fire I guess.

• Praise 3

8 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

good man as you always are.👍👍 Hope the rest are ok. 

7 hours ago, Mzrmazda3 said:

Hope those involved in the accident are not too badly hurted  :mellow:

You have done a good deed :a-m1212:

I don't think I have done anything special, but just something I need to do, to go forward and help out with the situation. An instinct maybe...

And maybe another push factor, seeing many started to crowd around the car, WITHOUT landing their help hand, I get really frustrated with the sight and can't wait to "jump in" to do the necessary. And guess what, someone even walk up to me (maybe he thought I am one of the vehicle owner / passenger), asking if I have any workshop for car repair, and offering to call his workshop!!:evilish:

7 hours ago, Mrlancergtx said:

I recount a similar accident that happened to me in Melbourne while on vacation. I can comfortably say that the passerby's without any exception ensured that all of us were safe and did all the admin things of calling the emergency services. Based on the input, Fire Engine and Ambulance was on the scene first and police arrived a bit later in an unmarked car.

One thing I noticed was that the fire brigade did the job of clearing the debris from the road and all the swept up debris was kept in once place until the cars involved were towed away. They also proceeded to spray the car which we were in with some kind of foam to prevent the car from catching fire I guess.

Glad that the Australian were helpful with your unfortunate encounter. Unfortunately, that is not what I saw today. The most annoying part was when I saw people taking close shots of the number plate of the accident vehicles, while leaving the poor driver still seated in the car filled with white fume!!! :pissed-off:Noting down the number for buying 4D is more important than saving live(s)?!!:veryangry:

On the part about clearing debris from the road, beside the TP that did the first round, by the time I left (after settling with TP and SCDF personnel), I saw 2 cleaner already dispatched to the scene to clear up the remaining, or maybe they are the cleaner from N Park or Jurong Point, I don't know, but still kudo for the effort to ensure safety of road user. They are the unsung hero I would say...

• Praise 6

Good deed and good effort bro Carbon82. 👍

Anyway, i believe some people when they see traffic accident might not go up help and checkout the drivers etc, could be they scare to see blood if there is any. But if can help to call up the police and SCDF also good.

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I don't think I have done anything special, but just something I need to do, to go forward and help out with the situation. An instinct maybe...

And maybe another push factor, seeing many started to crowd around the car, WITHOUT landing their help hand, I get really frustrated with the sight and can't wait to "jump in" to do the necessary. And guess what, someone even walk up to me (maybe he thought I am one of the vehicle owner / passenger), asking if I have any workshop for car repair, and offering to call his workshop!!:evilish:

Sadly a lot of cynical people nowadays. 

You did a good job, no need to worry what others think.

• Praise 1

15 hours ago, 13177 said:

Good deed and good effort bro Carbon82. 👍

Anyway, i believe some people when they see traffic accident might not go up help and checkout the drivers etc, could be they scare to see blood if there is any. But if can help to call up the police and SCDF also good.

14 hours ago, Adrianli said:

Well done bro.👍

12 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

Sadly a lot of cynical people nowadays. 

You did a good job, no need to worry what others think.

Thanks for all the compliment. I am just doing what I can, in hope that the victims can be attended to (by the trained professional) ASAP. No one was bleeding on the scene, and that made me even more puzzled by the behavior of the onlookers. Anyway, I have put it pass me. Hope that 2 drivers are OK by now.

Maintain full situation awareness and be prepared to help shall be my motto from now.[flowerface]

• Praise 8

Just remember another thing. After accessing the situation, such as driver(s) medical conditions, extent of damage to the accident vehicle(s), etc. the traffic police on site will make arrangements for the vehicles to be removed from the scene. So that shall ease the burden of the accident victims.

In short, don't need to worry about arranging workshop to have the vehicle towed. And my personal advice, don't accept any bystanders offer for towing or workshop service / assessment.

• Praise 7

On 8/30/2019 at 9:28 PM, Carbon82 said:

Just remember another thing. After accessing the situation, such as driver(s) medical conditions, extent of damage to the accident vehicle(s), etc. the traffic police on site will make arrangements for the vehicles to be removed from the scene. So that shall ease the burden of the accident victims.

In short, don't need to worry about arranging workshop to have the vehicle towed. And my personal advice, don't accept any bystanders offer for towing or workshop service / assessment.

Good to know you are not hurt ..........

lucky man .  got buy 4 D or not ...... share the numbers pls 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2