Share Your Car Fuel Consumption

wangxiaodi

17 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

surprised the Atos FC is so sucky. the ford and daewoo is bad too.

My mechanic also commented the same of the Atos. The thing is that i got the car (as a 2nd car) when it was necessary to bring my 2 kids to childcare in the morning, and sometimes fetch them back in the evening. Home to childcare was initially 1.5 km, then changed childcare and it was 3.5 km. From there to my office was 2.5 km. Full of traffic lights too. And we don't drive it much during weekends.

With this type of driving patterns, it was never going to get very good FC lor... Daewoo was exactly same pattern, just that it was much worse.

When it came to Ford, elder kid went sec school so got travel a bit more distance, but my dad (who used to drive a van) would drive it during weekends, and i'd purposely told him to drive slow, so FC was also affected...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

In general, Korean N.A. cars are fuel guzzlers, while the Japs & Malaysians are more fuel efficient. 

Conti cars are now geared towards small engine capacity with turbo. Can be fuel efficient

22 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Knowing the real (not manufacturer's declared) FC of a car is very useful.

But over the years, i get the feeling that this is not easy. First, different driver/owner of the same car can - and will likely - have vastly different figures. Apart from being heavy- or light-footed, the more important factor that beats everything, is the normal route used. Someone who stays in landed property just off a main road near to expressway (let's say near Woodlands), and working in airport, for example, will guarantee have fantastic FC, as compared to someone who parks in a MSCP (top floor somemore) in the middle of, let's say Bishan, and working in Orchard Rd.

So even for myself, when i was working in Jurong (stayed Serangoon) about 20 yr ago, FC was average 13-15 km/L, even with morning jams around Macritchie. Now that my office is only 4 km away from home, with 6 traffic lights in between, a more modern/technologically advanced car (have to be, 20 yr on), can get maybe 6 km/L on a bad day, if most of the lights are red...

And that's during school holidays when there's no school runs. During term time, on good days, i can average maybe 11-12 km/L cos I'll travel much further, and also use the expressways a fair bit.

We can say that the differences will even out over time, so the figures shown can still be used. I'm not completely convinced, but in the absence of better methodology, have to use them lor...

For me:

2001-3 Nissan Sunny 1.5 EX (A) ~11 km/L

2001-5 Toyota Corolla 1.6 GLi (A) ~11-14 km/L (14 km/L was when working in Jurong)

2005-18 Toyota Wish 1.8 ~9.9-11 km/L

2007-8 Daewoo Lanos 1.6M ~7-8.5 km/L

2008-2011 Hyundai Atos 1.0M ~10 km/L

2011-2016 Hyundai Verna 1.6A ~8-9.5 km/L

2016-7 Ford Focus 1.6A ~7.5-8.5 Km/L

2017- Hyundai Tucson 2.0 ~9.9 km/L

2018- Nissan X-Trail ~9.6 km/L

I should add that for quite a few of the cars, my wife and my father also got drive, so it's really difficult to compare apple to apple 😅

totally agree with u. as much as possible i try to use the expressway. though the journey might be longer, it's just more fuel efficient and less start stop traffic.

but i wonder if modern engine are generally more efficient than engine say 15 years ago.

I now drive a 2l tc car.....it's as efficient as my 8 year old nissan sunny i had 6 years ago.

• Praise 3

20 hours ago, Vinceng said:

In general, Korean N.A. cars are fuel guzzlers, while the Japs & Malaysians are more fuel efficient. 

Conti cars are now geared towards small engine capacity with turbo. Can be fuel efficient

Yes, every uncle sitting around the table at every coffeeshop in Singapore will agree with you. 

• Praise 1

Late 2018 Honda Fit Hybrid. Still running in with less than 4000km. 

100% city driving (red lights to red lights, stop start and stop start and lots of idling on battery power while waiting to pick up family) = 17.5km/l

25% highway and 75% city = 21.5 km/l

50% highway and 50% city = 23.5km/l

Frequently had to park at level 4 of the MSCP doesn't help the fuel consumption as I make frequent short trips (up to 10 entries and exits from the MSCP) throughout the day as the family's taxi driver (pick up kids, pick up wife from MRT station, pick up and drop off parents.. etc).  

Pumped around 33 litres of petrol after low fuel lights up and can easily travel 700km before the low fuel light starts showing again. 

I don't keep track of the fuel consumption of all of my previous cars as petrol cost is only a small fraction of the family's expenditure but with the hybrid and most recent cars, it is very easy to retrieve the the fuel consumption figures based on the trip-o-meter. 

Very happy with the low fuel consumption and this is not a slow mini. It is pretty quick to launch at the lights with 0-100km/h in under 8.2s). Superb value for money for the price I paid. 

Edited by Civicblade
  • Praise 3

1 hour ago, SZ_ford said:

totally agree with u. as much as possible i try to use the expressway. though the journey might be longer, it's just more fuel efficient and less start stop traffic.

but i wonder if modern engine are generally more efficient than engine say 15 years ago.

I now drive a 2l tc car.....it's as efficient as my 8 year old nissan sunny i had 6 years ago.

for sure more fuel efficient. even with the cheating of fuel economy figures, direct injection, lighter engine oils, hybrids, small turbo engines all have bettered the fuel economy figures.

As to reliability of small turbos and direct injection and longevitiy of the engines.... this is another story.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, SZ_ford said:

Actually another reason i use the expressway more, is also to avoid the heavy traffic and traffic lights in the shorter, more straightforward routes, in the mornings when i rather arrive at my destination earlier.

Modrern engines have better be more efficient than old ones. I remember when eg. Toyota first introduced the VVTI engine, they touted it as being dunno how much more efficient than the old ones. If not more efficient, then i'll be very concerned...

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie
On 9/4/2019 at 11:27 PM, Pocus said:

I tot it's your fren car?

Your cooling coil gone liao, leaking gas (hence the hissing sound) and need to be replaced.

If it's out of warranty go fix. More Jap cars should cost around 400+...

Best part from TC when I sent my car for servicing. The technician told me it’s normal and some time due to exchange of gas in the compressor which can produce this sound. I would very much wants to tell him that,” ya..my balls to you”.

3 hours ago, Civicblade said:

100% city driving (red lights to red lights, stop start and stop start and lots of idling on battery power while waiting to pick up family) = 17.5km/l

Frequently had to park at level 4 of the MSCP doesn't help the fuel consumption as I make frequent short trips (up to 10 entries and exits from the MSCP) throughout the day as the family's taxi driver (pick up kids, pick up wife from MRT station, pick up and drop off parents.. etc).  

Pumped around 33 litres of petrol after low fuel lights up and can easily travel 700km before the low fuel light starts showing again. 

I don't keep track of the fuel consumption of all of my previous cars as petrol cost is only a small fraction of the family's expenditure but with the hybrid and most recent cars, it is very easy to retrieve the the fuel consumption figures based on the trip-o-meter. 

Very happy with the low fuel consumption and this is not a slow mini. It is pretty quick to launch at the lights with 0-100km/h in under 8.2s). Superb value for money for the price I paid. 

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know that the Fit Hybrid was such a gem. 💪

• Praise 1

27 minutes ago, Oaksky said:

Best part from TC when I sent my car for servicing. The technician told me it’s normal and some time due to exchange of gas in the compressor which can produce this sound. I would very much wants to tell him that,” ya..my balls to you”.

I give up on them, they are only good at routine servicing, but not troubleshooting. No more Nissan.

4 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know that the Fit Hybrid was such a gem. 💪

It is indeed value for money if you don't mind the lack of road presence due to its compact exterior size. Interior room for driver and passengers is on par with most small sedans in the market. 

Fit fits my needs (in Singapore, car ownership is really a want not a need) and I cannot justify spending more than $80k for a new car when the 2016 Honda Jazz 1.5 only cost me $18k brand new down under. 

• Praise 4

On 9/3/2019 at 11:49 AM, Ganwb79 said:

Hmn, there is a greater difference between humans and their driving style than efficiency from manufacturers' engines, in my opinion... 

Of course la. How you drive makes a big difference to FC.

• Praise 1

On 9/6/2019 at 9:45 AM, Civicblade said:

Second this.

My Fit Hybrid for my first pump also giving me about 24km/l of FC.

Now on my second pump. will update again

• Praise 3

latio cvt 13km/l

lancer cs3 cvt 10km/l

sunny manual 10km/l

wrx sti 2.5l hawk@@ 7km/l

myvi 1.5 manual 12km/l

Mazda 2 skyactiv auto 6sp 16lm/l

bravo turbo manual 12km/l

fit 1.3 cvt 2nd gen 13km/l

08 Lexus IS250 - 2.5L V6 
60 highway / 40 city ~ 8 - 8.5km/l (Light footer usually rev to maximum 3k rpm)
My full tank 65L can only get me about 480 - 500km before lights on.

Edited by Aventa

15 hours ago, Aventa said:

08 Lexus IS250 - 2.5L V6 
60 highway / 40 city ~ 8 - 8.5km/l (Light footer usually rev to maximum 3k rpm)
My full tank 65L can only get me about 480 - 500km before lights on.

Bic CC cars that is 2 Litre and above, this is what you will get. Consider average or normal?

↡ Advertisement