Mercs: property news & updates

Mercs

40 minutes ago, Khng8 said:

I honestly don’t think we do not have enough land.

Plot ratio still not fully utilised and can be increased further. Like around Paya Lebar.

The west coast region still largely low rise. All the GSW, Punggol Innovation district etc still not build.

99LH can be recycled. Which is most of the land in Singapore.

Homes getting smaller. One old 100 unit condo enbloc normally rebuild to double the units or more.

With the ageing population and first owners passing on, their left behind HDB will become additional supply. 

So it’s affordability that should be the main worry. Do you want to stake your next 30 years servicing a loan without wriggle room for contingency like job loss or disruption? 

Anyway I don’t think I will feel comfortable in tiny Singapore with 10m population. 

Then again, who can guarantee that the supply will create the demand? Build and they will come? Worse, come and then go when there is trouble. Like in Dubai.

Also, GDP growth seems stagnant. Nowadays we are told 2% growth very good already. Where not so long ago it’s still double digit or high single digit growth.

PS. I am not a bear and I still believe that property is a good long term investment. Just don’t get too carried away. 

Potential of 30,000 becoming eligible per year. Not including those who have sat on it for a decade.

How much is the total private supply again???

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/executive-money/outlook-for-singapore-property-expected-to-improve-in-2019

Housing demand, on the other hand, appears far from exhausted. In 2019, we see a tripling in potential demand from HDB flat owners eligible to upgrade to condos after meeting their five-year Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) requirements. Mostly insulated from higher Additional Buyer Stamp Duties (ABSD), around 30,000 HDB flat owners will become eligible per year over 2019 to 2022, we estimate, three times the run rate of the past decade. HDB upgraders make up half of all private homes sold by developers, and are the biggest contributor to housing demand.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Aka if 30,000 becomes eligible every year and 20-30% choose to upgrade,the demand from HDB upgraders is only 6,000 to 9,000. 

But if say half of these upgraders choose the “actually safer” strategy to buy 2, the demand becomes 9,000 to 13,500.

All the land quoted needs 10 years to start to become available. We must Budget the demand till then.

• Praise 3

Hmmm.

Though I don’t have the figures, I reckon our net housing supply (HDB+private) all these years have increased . And we are still building plenty each year. (I think we have roughly 1m HDB units now?) 

I am not saying there is no demand for private condo. Like I say earlier, I still think property is a good long term investment.

Just saying we do have enough in supply pipeline and it’s just the cost, affordability & future price projection that we have to be careful about.

Edited by Khng8
  • Praise 2

8 hours ago, PSP415 said:

Tsk tsk no include bread n pastries? 😅🤪

I thought too good to be true n how are they going to deliver to every unit daily. 

My bad. Thanks for pointing out.😂 tam jiak no read properly.

Safe ride 

Cheers 

Hahaha, yeah nowadays everything also must read carefully, worse still, when writing, must write even more carefully.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Khng8 said:

Hmmm.

Though I don’t have the figures, I reckon our net housing supply (HDB+private) all these years have increased . And we are still building plenty each year. (I think we have roughly 1m HDB units now?) 

I am not saying there is no demand for private condo. Like I say earlier, I still think property is a good long term investment.

Just saying we do have enough in supply pipeline and it’s just the cost, affordability & future price projection that we have to be careful about.

Thanks. I am also not saying that current supply is not enough.

We need to keep building nonetheless.

Just that the biggest "risk" from regulators now is to have an overly bullish pool of HDB upgraders to soak up the supply way before the new supply becomes ready. So they will do everything in their soft power methods to stop it.

How can having 2 properties (both 25% paid up) be worse off than having 1 property paid up 50%???

• Praise 3

15 hours ago, Showster said:

Actually the main risk is...

housing no enough le...

Housing no enough? Enbloc fever lor :D😛

• Praise 5

14 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

I doubt if people on drugs are so silly to throw a good working T.V. out of a window.

More like the gal got banned from MCF.

Haha, small TV no use so throw ... now homes TV all big big de :D😛

• Praise 5