Hainanese Mooncakes might be disappearing here.

PSP415

45 minutes ago, Dleodleo said:

Hainanese uncle and auntie like to eat hainan kueh.  I dun know wat it is called.  The white one with coconut inside.  I think you know which one. 😄

pronounced as yi-bua, with coconut, peanut and ginger.

https://youtu.be/iFpDag2pPV4

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

51 minutes ago, Dleodleo said:

Thanks for sharing! 👍🏻

Actually there's a hainanese rest -  Yeh Ting  owned by Jack Place. 

Mooi Chin too.

i went to the yeh ting in AMK ... for the coconut hotpot ... i never knew i disliked so-called hainanese food so much.

like i mentioned before ... i are mainly western or cha-chan-ting food when i was there. The truely local food did not work for me.

• Praise 1

On 9/4/2019 at 10:16 PM, steveluv said:

I'd love to try. Very interesting and thanks to thread starter.

if you are back here and want to try hainanese food, there is one food center in kovan which is the gathering of hainanese stalls. they got coconut motif on the outer walls.

• Praise 3

53 minutes ago, Dleodleo said:

Hainanese uncle and auntie like to eat hainan kueh.  I dun know wat it is called.  The white one with coconut inside.  I think you know which one. 😄

11 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

pronounced as yi-bua, with coconut, peanut and ginger.

https://youtu.be/iFpDag2pPV4

I know that hainan kueh, but I was never fond of it.  My grandma used to make these oblong shaped bak chang before. Now you only see triangular bak chang.

Thanks for the video on the Toa payoh lor 7 Hainan kueh stall. Very heart warming. RIP to Mdm Yeoh.

• Praise 3

6 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

if you are back here and want to try hainanese food, there is one food center in kovan which is the gathering of hainanese stalls. they got coconut motif on the outer walls.

Which part of Kovan?

2 minutes ago, Ender said:

Which part of Kovan?

sorry ... i also saw on TV one ... last time got one TV programme when the presenter when there to intro there as a gathering of hainanese stall owners.

5 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

sorry ... i also saw on TV one ... last time got one TV programme when the presenter when there to intro there as a gathering of hainanese stall owners.

I only know nearby kovan there is a a Lor Ah Soo Market, which is alos known as Hainanese  village . But the food there are just your usual hawker fare, no special hainan food stall. 🤣

• Praise 1

18 minutes ago, Ender said:

I know that hainan kueh, but I was never fond of it.  My grandma used to make these oblong shaped bak chang before. Now you only see triangular bak chang.

Thanks for the video on the Toa payoh lor 7 Hainan kueh stall. Very heart warming. RIP to Mdm Yeoh.

not many people like it, find the ginger a bit overwhelming and the peanut is too coarse. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

not many people like it, find the ginger a bit overwhelming and the peanut is too coarse. 

Heheh...i love it!

The ginger with coconut n peanuts are heavenly. Last time i took it was at Purvis Street but the old aunty told me not doing anymore cos old liao plus think coffeeshop sold or taken over. Thanks for new lobang.

Not coffee drinker but other members of my family loved the hainanese kopi. 

Will be visiting this outlet when the hype is not so er...hype😅. Maybe in 6 months from now. Pls ah, dun plan same same timing ok😂😂

Those who went besides bro seahang aka Se3h3ng, pls share review. Kam sia

Safe ride

Cheers 

• Praise 2

7 hours ago, Ender said:

its called "lup".

• Praise 3

On 9/4/2019 at 11:05 PM, Tianmo said:

So can anyone cfm if this is really traditional hainanese mooncake? 

Base on so many feedback so far,  from some even their elders, seem like no one know such hainanese mooncake.  [confused]:huh:[laugh][laugh]

It is not. In fact many hainanese delicacies one finds it here are all locally developed. Pork chop, curry chicken...even the chicken rice. 

One traditional lost art was the making of the big deep fried dough ball - unsure of the name - for special occasions like wedding...last seen was when a Hainanese fren got married 20 years ago. She said the owner of the last one who still made it back then told her he’d retire soon cos no successor to take over, on top of low market for it. 

• Praise 3

On 9/4/2019 at 8:35 AM, Jamesc said:

If want to make money start a Hainanese chicken rice stall in HK. 

There will be long queue as they love our chicken rice. 

My HK colleagues when they come here first thing they do is eat our chicken rice. 

:D

please specify what type of chicken in descending order

thank you

• Praise 4

On 9/4/2019 at 11:05 PM, Tianmo said:

So can anyone cfm if this is really traditional hainanese mooncake? 

Base on so many feedback so far,  from some even their elders, seem like no one know such hainanese mooncake.  [confused]:huh:[laugh][laugh]

i read before.... some shops bring in hainanese mooncake from batam to sell.... think still popular in  batam

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, mersaylee said:

It is not. In fact many hainanese delicacies one finds it here are all locally developed. Pork chop, curry chicken...even the chicken rice. 

One traditional lost art was the making of the big deep fried dough ball - unsure of the name - for special occasions like wedding...last seen was when a Hainanese fren got married 20 years ago. She said the owner of the last one who still made it back then told her he’d retire soon cos no successor to take over, on top of low market for it. 

Oh!  This one I know.  Now no one doing it liao.  I heard not easy to make.  I saw once during my uncle's wedding when I was small.  Very very big ball bigger than our face. 😄

• Praise 3

On 9/4/2019 at 12:24 PM, Ender said:

Think there were some informal roll call before in one of those hainan thread..  Quite a lot of mcfer are Hainanese.😁

There are 10 of us here! 😄

• Praise 3