Hainanese Mooncakes might be disappearing here.

PSP415

12 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

There is a kind which has a chewy texture but only with coconut. Anyone knows what that call? Not Ang ku Kuay ya

Is it tutu kueh?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Just now, Dleodleo said:

Is it tutu kueh?

No no, chewy and white colour too. I remembered it was like triangle shape, like Bak Chang shape kind but small 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Cloud9 said:

No no, chewy and white colour too. I remembered it was like triangle shape, like Bak Chang shape kind but small 

I curious so Google and saw..link here:

https://thepeakmagazine.com.sg/gourmet-travel/photos-foodie-alert-kueh-appreciation-day-brings-in-snacks-from-different-ethnic-groups-on-jul-24/?slide=4-Bite-sized-Peranakan-Kueh-from-HarriAnns

Is this what u looking for?

20190910_231135.jpg

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Dleodleo said:

Hmmm.... I think so.  Correct me if I am wrong.  11 below.

@Ender, @Sotong07, @Ysc3, @Meanmachine, @Picnic06-Biante15, @Jman888, @Uncle2, @Discoburg, @Fcw75, @Se3h3ng and dleodleo.

@Discoburg, I'm not sure but if I remember correctly he's one.

Hahaha, I was just bugging you la but good memory.

Hainanese MCF meetup at Thien Kee steamboat and chicken rice beach road?

• Praise 2

14 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

There is a kind which has a chewy texture but only with coconut. Anyone knows what that call? Not Ang ku Kuay ya

something like this? actually the ingredient is the same as yi bua, instead of wrapping stuff inside, it was coated outside.

13074020475_ba6485a6ae_n.jpg

• Praise 2

51 minutes ago, Ender said:

Have not seen a picture of the larp for donkey years. Bring back memories. Only my grandma made them, after that no one in my family does it anymore. 

No excuses!

Pls jiak more to make up for lost time😅😅😂

I am teochew but i love eating nice food regardless dialect or whatever ethnic groups except creepy crawlies and most seafood.  

It was at least 6-7 years since i ate the lup. Hainanese Chicken Rice is the item i eat more regularly. 

Thumbs up for those who sacrificed to preserve traditional makan. Frankly i am hopeless in the kitchen, late mum actually banished me out of her domain after she accused me of wanting to choke everyone in the family with the way i cut cucumbers. U know, thick thick squarish shaped cucumbers. I thought got more crunch that way.

Mind you, that was the first and only time she asked me to help prepare food.

But i am good with washing up. Like playing with water, oops.

Yet my true gift is in eating🤭🤤

Safe ride

Cheers 

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 2

11 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

No excuses!

Pls jiak more to make up for lost time😅😅😂

I am teochew but i love eating nice food regardless dialect or whatever ethnic groups except creepy crawlies and most seafood.  

It was at least 6-7 years since i ate the lup. Hainanese Chicken Rice is the most regular item i eat regularly. 

Thumbs up for those who sacrificed to preserve traditional makan. Frankly i am hopeless in the kitchen, late mum actually banished me out of her domain after she accused me of wanting to choke everyone in the family with the way i cut cucumbers. U know, thick thick squarish shaped cucumbers. I thought got more crunch that way.

Mind you, that was the first and only time she asked me to help prepare food.

But i am good with washing up. Like playing with water, oops.

Yet my true gift is in eating🤭🤤

Safe ride

Cheers 

Actually there is more  to the chicken rice.... You tried those chicken rice balls before?  There is one quite popular one behind lavender food court... Dunno still there or not. An old shop by itself....old furniture and design... 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

something like this? actually the ingredient is the same as yi bua, instead of wrapping stuff inside, it was coated outside.

13074020475_ba6485a6ae_n.jpg

Hm, I remember the outer texture is the same like the yi bua, chewy. It sit on a small piece of leaf like the ang ku kueh. Unlike the yi bua which is wrapped up at the sides. The shape is triangle, while yi bua is square. The ingredients in it is coconut, I don't remember any peanuts in it, but I might be wrong cos many donkey years le. The nonya has a another version, the outer is dark green. I ate at citysquare JB which they wrapped the whole thing up in leaf. That was nice too

Edited by Cloud9

3 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Actually there is more  to the chicken rice.... You tried those chicken rice balls before?  There is one quite popular one behind lavender food court... Dunno still there or not. An old shop by itself....old furniture and design... 

Yup i tried that ball, i mean chicken rice balls at the old run down shop u mentioned.

Not as nice as the ordinary plate of hainanese chicken rice. 

Other than a novelty at the beginning and ease of eating in one mouthful, nothing special in taste department. 

Tried the chicken rice balls in Malacca Jonker street outlet too. Chicken was nice but the rice so so but better than the above mentioned shop's.

Just my tots 

Safe ride

Cheers 

• Praise 2

15 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Yup i tried that ball, i mean chicken rice balls at the old run down shop u mentioned.

Not as nice as the ordinary plate of hainanese chicken rice. 

Other than a novelty at the beginning and ease of eating in one mouthful, nothing special in taste department. 

Tried the chicken rice balls in Malacca Jonker street outlet too. Chicken was nice but the rice so so but better than the above mentioned shop's.

Just my tots 

Safe ride

Cheers 

I just tried to find it on Google maps... But I think it has been eons since I went to lavender street ....the place looks unrecognisable... And I think the shop is no longer there also. 

18 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Hm, I remember the outer texture is the same like the lup, chewy. It sit on a small piece of leaf like the ang ku kueh. Unlike the lup which is wrapped up at the sides. The shape is triangle, while lup is square. The ingredients in it is coconut, I don't remember any peanuts in it, but I might be wrong cos many donkey years le. The nonya has a another version, the outer is dark green. I ate at citysquare JB which they wrapped the whole thing up in leaf. That was nice too

I think you use the wrong picture lah... This coconut covered kueh is something like muahchee... But not as springy. 

Lup is just like bakzhang but oblong in shape. 

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

I think you use the wrong picture lah... This coconut covered kueh is something like muahchee... But not as springy. 

Lup is just like bakzhang but oblong in shape. 

You are right, not lup but yi bua. Thanks for spotting, had amended. 

Taste like kuik koci

Screenshot_20190911_135551_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by Cloud9
  • Praise 3

2 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

You are right, not lup but yi bua. Thanks for spotting, had amended. 

Taste like kuik koci

Screenshot_20190911_135551_com.android.chrome.jpg

Never see before. But if you can find please share. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2