YOLO - SG to Europe in a $11K van

Lala81

I read the trip with interest as well.  But more from hardwarezone.

My thoughts are that they are not really prepared and they should turn back.  Assuming they have all the time in the world, when I mean turn back I dont mean give up the trip (though there is that as well).  What I mean is retreat to a safe environment and re plan and recuperate and move on.  They dont strike me as planning for contingencies as well.

Examples on what I am talking about.  I draw reference from my round the world trip last year since it was on this forum.

1)  safety - do they have solar chargers for handphones?  I read they have but unsure for what purpose.  Cos you need to consider the possibility of running out of fuel so no generator or car battery will work.  What about emergency locator beacon?  What if there is an emergency?  They might be thinking of Thailand being safe but what about Mongolia?  Russia?  What is their contingency if they need emergency aid and they are out of range of handphone or internet?  Dont forget they plan to drive in very remote areas.

2)  Visas - I hope they have prepared everything 

3)  Budget - I hope they have planned properly.  I had literally three times my planned budget on standby in the form of credit cards when I travelled.  

4) Travel insurance - I hope they have planned properly.  You might have bought an annual plan but each trip there is a time limit.  You cant just buy one annual plan and travel one year one shot and hope everything is covered.

5) Place of retreat - safe places to re plan.  Example would be the hostels in the cities along the way.  Cos you are in a safe and controlled environment with food and lighting and you can plan.  If you are on the road, you have to be on the alert and you cant plan in peace after a good sleep.

I wish them all the best but I feel that unless they stop and recoup as opposed to keep bashing forward, they will fail in their trip.

Edited by Philipkee
Extra info
  • Praise 10

Hee.  Advertise that thread again.  But one reason why I want to show it here is cos how I planned the trip and everything is stated here and it's only 30% of all planning.

My point is that before every long trip there should be a lot of planning.  People dont wing it just like that.  They will APPEAR to be winging it because they dont want to bother listeners with the boring parts and they also dont believe in over planning.  

The problem is when people read about these trips and they think it's all about winging it and they really decide to just wing it without planning......

Like my trip I planned the route since 2004, actual planning in mid 2017 and trip in 2018.  I didn't wake up one morning and throw letter of resignation to my boss and buy a one way ticket to china.......

• Praise 7

Was having some issues logging in due to the revamp some time ago.

The moment I saw this couple video & after watching it, the 1st question popped up in my mind was how come they never mentioned on doing the engine up? That should be the very 1st thing, followed by tyres, brake systs etc etc. They are putting themselves at huge risk of unnecessary journey disruption.

Yes, buying a mechanically simple vehicle is important to keep maintenance easy throughout the whole journey so that every mechanic is every country will find it easy to work on. But not doing anything on engine at all is akin to taking its current state for granted.

So much so had been done & its just topping up aircon?! They are lucky that their vehicle broke down just in thai which is not very far fr Msia & Sgp. At least there isnt much language barrier there & parts are not difficult to source.

In short, I dun really think they hv prepped up & prioritize the correct stuffs. It takes lotsa planning for a trip like this but I really see the yoloness in them as in attitude form. Abit of a just-pack-n-go kinda. Thou they do prep but whats the use of prepping so well that one neglects the most important aspect akin to the heart & brain which is the engine? So much so for sustainability, going green etc etc but what happens now.

The journey is still a long long way & I really hope they could get their engine right to the core, gave it a gd overhaul in thai so that the van can last them throughout the journey.

Edited by Unfazed
  • Praise 9

24 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I read the trip with interest as well.  But more from hardwarezone.

My thoughts are that they are not really prepared and they should turn back.  Assuming they have all the time in the world, when I mean turn back I dont mean give up the trip (though there is that as well).  What I mean is retreat to a safe environment and re plan and recuperate and move on.  They dont strike me as planning for contingencies as well.

Examples on what I am talking about.  I draw reference from my round the world trip last year since it was on this forum.

1)  safety - do they have solar chargers for handphones?  I read they have but unsure for what purpose.  Cos you need to consider the possibility of running out of fuel so no generator or car battery will work.  What about emergency locator beacon?  What if there is an emergency?  They might be thinking of Thailand being safe but what about Mongolia?  Russia?  What is their contingency if they need emergency aid and they are out of range of handphone or internet?  Dont forget they plan to drive in very remote areas.

for such trips to/through remote areas, nothing less than a satellite phone. Many parts of the world don't have cell phone coverage.

any first aid training? first aid/medical kit?

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Dleodleo said:

I watched their interview.  I think they are following one Malaysian couple's (24 hours travellers) route and bought the same van as well Toyota Hiace  as below

The Malaysian couple are seasonal roadtrip travellers unlike MJ.  

I just realised that HiAce comes in RWD and 4WD versions.

I wonder which version MJ bought. It doesn't hv the 4WD sticker on the sliding door.

• Praise 1

I've always been inspired by the Long Way Round (and the follow up, Long Way Down, except for the bit where the wife joined them [knife])

Even this level of preparation didn't prevent a lot of issues, esp when in Mongolia and Russia.

the whole series is on YouTube :a-happy:

apologies for sharing bike vid on car forum lol

• Praise 2

Main heart of engine not given careful checks and maintenance, how to rely for long distance?

What if next breakdown needs top overhaul or total overhaul? Or gearbox gave up its spirit? 

Radiator, aircon, drive shafts, wheel bearings etc? Each time tow to next workshop? If no parts? Need to indent and wait days or weeks?

😅😅😅i not brave. Zero hands on or DIY talent. Also, i scare car will catch fire. 

They cannot rely on luck and goodwill all the way. Van won't run on dreams and hope only.

Pls turn back and plan properly. Still young. Dreams not like that stubbornly realised. 

Just my tots 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 6

24 minutes ago, Unfazed said:

Was having some issues logging in due to the revamp some time ago.

The moment I saw this couple video & after watching it, the 1st question popped up in my mind was how come they never mentioned on doing the engine up? That should be the very 1st thing, followed by tyres, brake systs etc etc. They are putting themselves at huge risk of unnecessary journey disruption.

Yes, buying a mechanically simple vehicle is important to keep maintenance easy throughout the whole journey so that every mechanic is every country will find it easy to work on. But not doing anything on engine at all is akin to taking its current state for granted.

So much so had been done & its just topping up aircon?! They are lucky that their vehicle broke down just in thai which is not very far fr Msia & Sgp. At least there isnt much language barrier there & parts are not difficult to source.

In short, I dun really think they hv prepped up & prioritize the correct stuffs. It takes lotsa planning for a trip like this but I really see the yoloness in them as in attitude form. Abit of a just-pack-n-go kinda. Thou they do prep but whats the use of prepping so well that one neglects the most important aspect akin to the heart & brain which is the engine? So much so for sustainability, going green etc etc but what happens now.

The journey is still a long long way & I really hope they could get their engine right to the core, gave it a gd overhaul in thai so that the van can last them throughout the journey.

I also think they are not well prepared.  

I follow their IG.  Read that they kena police check and plain clothes police check twice middle of the nite in Malaysia. The guy was asked to come out of the van.  They were afraid.  

And also the guy was suffering from backache in Malaysia and had to check -in  hotel for a nite for him to recover.  Only the guy is able to drive.  The girl dare not drive manual.

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 2

8 minutes ago, Dleodleo said:

I follow their IG.  Read that they kena police check and plain clothes police check twice middle of the nite in Malaysia. The guy was asked to come out of the van.  They were afraid.  

And also the guy was suffering from backache in Malaysia and had to check -in  hotel for a nite for him to recover.  Only the guy is able to drive.  The girl dare not drive manual.

[knife]

edit: if she isn't going to drive, I hope at least that she's a good navigator.

Edited by JohnSHL

nice... at least MCF is generally positive and wish them well in this incredible trip

unlike childish HWZ, which is mostly negative and some even outright evil, like wishing them to be robbed, raped or murdered

wish the couple well and successful for this trip (a dream I myself will never have the courage to achieve) 😄

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, JohnSHL said:

btw it's a Toyota. I doubt all Toyota owners in Thailand have to bring their vehicles (hilux, altis, vios, fortuner etc) to BKK for service n repairs....

Do they know if that van shares the same engine as hilux/fortuner?

Wow really yolo. While we like to condemn youngsters as strawberries, here are two that really defy our stereotypes of the young always seeking comfy life. But still dreaming too much though and not enough focus on practicalities.

But you are right, toyota, isuzu, and all these jap brands should have good support even in rural areas as the vans, pickups are in daily use for farming and agricultural activities.

• Praise 4

On 9/1/2019 at 5:48 PM, Kyrios said:

The wife quite ok looking 😽

err... no comment about the looks, but sure got nice xmm figure!

Well, where they're headed, I'd strongly suggest change of wardrobe choice to something more conservative, just not to attract the wrong attention.

And furthermore, publicising their move on social media and all for everyone to know there's only one skinny dude and his wife in the van ... just wow!

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 3

4 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Wow really yolo. While we like to condemn youngsters as strawberries, here are two that really defy our stereotypes of the young always seeking comfy life. But still dreaming too much though and not enough focus on practicalities.

But you are right, toyota, isuzu, and all these jap brands should have good support even in rural areas as the vans, pickups are in daily use for farming and agricultural activities.

maybe they divided Thailand into (1) Bangkok; (2) outside Bangkok

there are a lot of large towns outside of BKK where they can seek mechanic support. Between Ranong (where they are) and Bangkok, there are Chumphon and Prachuap Kiri Khan. At least these are the ones I know of. Surat Thani is quite near too.

In fact, along the highway to Bangkok, they will probably see a lot of showrooms for Toyota/Isuzu/Ford/Mazda at the forementioned towns   [wave] 

Hope they keep calm n work things out.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Dleodleo said:

Strawberry gen how to take long road trip!🤭

• Praise 3

8 hours ago, Ender said:

Millennials..😁

They always get what they want, and things will turn out well for them.  No need to plan one.

Even on Top Gear or Grand Tour when the 3 of them go on seemingly random road trips, there are lots of professional planning that goes on behind the scenes by the crew, producers, logistics planner, mechanics, etc for that 30 min clip.

Wonder what these 2 strawberries resources are like? Instagram acct not counted hor...

• Praise 3

10 hours ago, Dleodleo said:

The girl does not know how to drive manual not ‘dare not drive manual ‘ ...... a lot of difference here bro ....... and that too in an unfamiliar surrounding / culture / terrain 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7