YOLO - SG to Europe in a $11K van

Lala81

8 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

BTW I follow them on Instagram, and it seems like they aren't exactly short of funds. So in that sense I suppose they have sorta planned and prepared for this.

They also like to take their time, hence the slow progress. Now they're in Bangkok, going around shopping like any Singaporean LOL.

Lol....shopping in bkk, stay in hotel, what's so YOLO about that?

↡ Advertisement

2 hours ago, Soya said:

Lol....shopping in bkk, stay in hotel, what's so YOLO about that?

Yolo is on taking the time off to take a long trip, got nothing to do with staying in hotel lah

for safetys sake they should stay in hotel mah.

you think YOLO means low budget meh?

some people fly across a few continents on first class without getting out of the airport, also Yolo 

😁😎

54 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Yolo is on taking the time off to take a long trip, got nothing to do with staying in hotel lah

for safetys sake they should stay in hotel mah.

you think YOLO means low budget meh?

some people fly across a few continents on first class without getting out of the airport, also Yolo 

😁😎

Look at the context of these 2 lah

They tell everyone they buy cheeep cheep van

They tell everyone they spend time doing up the van inside to sleep

They tell everyone they gonna rough it out all the way to Europe

They never tell everyone they flying first class without getting out of airport

YOLO....

1 hour ago, Soya said:

YOLO....

Actually I don't think they said they will rough it out. They will only do it if bo pian in certain places.

Their plan was only to see the world and take a long driving trip to do so. So sometimes they will do the 'touristy' thing also la I think.

1 hour ago, Soya said:

YOLO....

You just missing the point of YOLO

it isnt about roughing it out

it isnt about not roughing it out

it is about doing something you are likely to only do once in your life, which will risk the very existence of your life whether physically, or financially.

good weekend Soya Big Boss

dont whack me please

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

You just missing the point of YOLO

it isnt about roughing it out

it isnt about not roughing it out

it is about doing something you are likely to only do once in your life, which will risk the very existence of your life whether physically, or financially.

good weekend Soya Big Boss

dont whack me please

No problemo

Whatever u say boss. U are always right

Yolo

1 hour ago, Soya said:

No problemo

Whatever u say boss. U are always right

Yolo

Wah lau, not always lah, just mostly

In this case, i am right, paiseh

you can ask the rest lah

muayhahahaha

Edited by Throttle2

anyone still following this story? I read the hwz thread for updates.

yesterday's update: they couldn't drive from Thai to Cambodia due to a missing customs document.

They didn't specify which document is missing but I suspect it's the thai customs import/export document for the van, which should have been applied for when they entered Thai from Malaysia. It needs to be returned when the vehicle is leaving Thai.

mj1.jpg.105666a8afdd96c50f3f58d41d1030ab.jpg

MJ2.jpg.dda5cd972a7c7eafe8512e7a6d5e0b17.jpg

And note the language used:  "... document missing that wasn't given to us"

Some of us have entered n left Thai many times but never faced such an issue. The document is not handed to us on a silver platter. We had to go to the customs section at the border to apply for it when we drive in.

Their Thai social visit visa (30days) was also expiring.

So they left the van on the Thai side of the border, walked over to the Cambodia side and promptly re-entered Thai. This is known as a "visa run", done to extend their stay in Thai.

This solves the human (visa) issue but not the van (customs) issue.

They can't drive the van out of Thai without the customs docs. They'll probably have to pay a large fine.

Oh and technically, they've already entered Thai by land twice this year. So that uses up the quota for 2019.

p.s. note that they're staying in hotel instead of the van [lipsrsealed]

p.p.s. not sure why they didn't explore the Cambodia side when they crossed over but rushed to return to their van in Thai instead. Border towns are usually interesting and Siam Reap is less than 200km away. Doing so limits their options going forward, due to the limit of 2 land entries to Thai in a year. Perhaps the customs officer in Thai was already on their case and told them to return ASAP?

• Praise 2

Sibeh loser these 2.... at first thot they sibeh sart.. now turns out both are just sibeh jialat, clueless and totally zero resourcefulness. Can't even read up on google how to do things meh? 1 month yolo-ing in thaland liao. Throw face max. 

meanwhile.... after 31 days, Msian Takumi is now in Russia. This is doing things properly. 

70415710_2394653353987983_13393993252177

70503842_2394653517321300_64108101346787

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 5

3 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

They way they are doing things. I won't be surprised when their sponsors run out. 

Piak piak in hotel get pregnant have to abort trip and cum back...

55 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

Sibeh loser these 2.... at first thot they sibeh sart.. now turns out both are just sibeh jialat, clueless and totally zero resourcefulness. Can't even read up on google how to do things meh? 1 month yolo-ing in thaland liao. Throw face max. 

meanwhile.... after 31 days, Msian Takumi is now in Russia. This is doing things properly. 

honestly I wish I could spend months exploring Thailand in my car. Unfortunately I can't, for various reasons.

so I just have to go up and back in short bursts (1 to 3wks) each time n target specific areas each time.

• Praise 1

51 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

they get sponsored just to enjoy life? 

they were sponsored by a friend (not in the hospitality industry), not the hotel.

big difference. [:p]

46 minutes ago, JohnSHL said:

they were sponsored by a friend (not in the hospitality industry), not the hotel.

big difference. [:p]

huh yolo event also got sponsor? [:p]

• Praise 1

I have been keen on van life for quite awhile, used to follow some US youtube channels that share on this unique way of living. Over there the main motivation is to save rental cost, and not for travelling purpose though that would be benefit of this kind of lifestyle. 

All these personal sharing inevitably starts with building from a van from scratch. And I can tell you most of them uses old vans, and just focus on how to do the heat insulation, customized fixtures to have day bed creatively with cushions, discrete camouflaging to hide its intention, etc etc, with inventory list and costing of the whole process. AND almost none of them dwell on beefing up the rides for road worthiness purpose, to check engine and checking for tear-and-wear parts.I believe the couple must have been watching these channels for inspiration and ideas, so no surprise that their main focus of van-built is only on interior and not ensuring the car is road worthy also.

I have also been dreaming of getting a Sprinter that is reasonably big for simple living, in fact it is the biggest ride that come under class 3 license, and live my life around the east coast park carpark that has toilet facility when I am older and spend my life relaxing and fishing, but that would not be possible with my family haha. So just something to day dream about haha.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1