Bus and train fares could possibly see 7 per cent increase next year

kobayashiGT

5 minutes ago, Ichibawa said:

Actually I have been really thinking about it just that I have been procrastinating for a long while... need a push factor but dunno if this is strong enough to really push through.... lol

Being someone who used drives to work, you will persist only for 7 working days.

I had been cycling to work for 10 years.  All my cycling is done on the road.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

38 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

Currently, maximum fare is 2.08 with EZLink card.  A 7% upward revision would be 15cents/trip from Punggol to Tuas West.  

That would translate to $6.60/mth additional cost (based on 22 working days).

How many of us are paying 2.08 now?

Mai tok kok about cycle to work.  In the end, still LL drive to work.

😂

I am paying close to that...

Screenshot_20190904_135308.jpg

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Enye said:

wah...going to ask my boss for a 7% raise this year

if not i will run to work

😅

wah ... that's $2100 increment per month leh .... lol

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Bus and train fares could possibly see 7 per cent increase next year

AAGLgCZ.img?h=799&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Bus and train fares may go up by up to 7 per cent next year as the Public Transport Council (PTC) begins its annual fare review exercise.

If approved, this would be the highest fare increase in recent years.

The fares could go up by 10 cents, the maximum increase that can be allowed under the current fare formula, a measure implemented from 2018 to the year 2022.

According to a statement released by the council earlier today (September 3), transport operators must submit applications regarding proposed fare increases.

As per a Straits Times report, the PTC said that the largest contributing factor to the potential fare hike was the double-digit increase in energy prices, which rebounded 26.2 per cent in 2017, and 32.3 per cent in 2018.

A drop in energy prices between 2015 and 2017 saw a combined 8.3 per cent reduction in fares during that time, though last year saw a 4.3 per cent increase in fares.

“Over the last five years, the gap between costs and fares has been widening. This gap has, thus far, been funded by the Government together with the rail operators,” said the PTC.

In July, Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan said the Government is currently subsidising more than 30 per cent of public transport operations, and that higher fares are necessary to keep these subsidies in check.

The council’s decision on the fare adjustment quantum will be announced in the last quarter of this year.

Last week, Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan announced the possibility of extending the intervals between trains during off-peak hours of the day.

The longer wait times are part of efforts to better match demand and supply, and also help to reduce unnecessary wear and tear on the system.

Cost-efficiency is another key area of focus, Mr Khaw said, adding that new efforts and initiatives by SMRT and SBST have led to total savings of more than S$25 million. /TISG

Whenever I see or read about him, I want to do Harakiri on his behalf then thinking over I would not give Radx the final pleasure.

• Praise 4

Internal Moderator
17 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

That is why we all must buy CARs . :grin: or Bicycles ............ [rolleyes]

PMD is out. will explode. hahaha.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

12 minutes ago, Kusje said:

Claim in cash they over-charge you.

waaaa they can suka suka over charge one  and act blur ? So all those people dont know about this claim one lugi ....

• Praise 3

20 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

waaaa they can suka suka over charge one  and act blur ? So all those people dont know about this claim one lugi ....

So many people tap their EZ-links everyday.

How many check and make sure there is no overcharging?

1 hour ago, Kusje said:

So many people tap their EZ-links everyday.

How many check and make sure there is no overcharging?

How many ppl use EZ Link apps?

For your distance, it is fair to pay $1.95.

31 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

How many ppl use EZ Link apps?

For your distance, it is fair to pay $1.95.

Can you tell me how to determine if it is fair or unfair?

About the app, that's my pt exactly. How many people bother to check if they are overcharged or not?

13 minutes ago, Kusje said:

Can you tell me how to determine if it is fair or unfair?

About the app, that's my pt exactly. How many people bother to check if they are overcharged or not?

I used to pay $1.13 from Kallang to Downtown

On 9/4/2019 at 9:57 AM, Tohto said:

Recession coming and may have very low or no increments for 2020 for many.

Public transport increase 7%.

PAP 万岁

Increment? What's that? Can eat or not?

On 9/4/2019 at 12:49 PM, RogerNg_185295 said:

Cost of living gonna go up again. Why must an essential public service make so much money?

To me this is morally not correct. The nation has a duty to provide affordable essential services to its citizens. Wanna make more money? Make those foreigners pay more .

while that may not be the best idea, that sort of comments echo anti foreigners sentiments that you have.

I see it more of payback time where the previous transport leaders looks at the bottom line as KPI and cut back on operating cost like maintenance.

And now that the shareholders have taken their profit, we are stuck with making good of a flawed decision.

Making profit is not a sin. After all, we ourselves look towards a larger pay increase every year. Else we considered getting a pay cut with the CPI going up 4% each year, your salary stays the same = paycut of 4% in actual value.

So even if it increase 3% after lengthy debate or increase 7% but larger rebates as some transport disbursement to the lower end of the wage earners, it still hit us.

There is no one size fits all solution. So either suck it up or look for a job that pays 7% more lor..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1