Start review of caning in schools

kobayashiGT

19 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

nowadays, canning get street cred and can upload to facebook. Last time it was a shame on the family name and can cause suicidal thots.

😵😝

sardine_2.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, Beregond said:

thats why moe must have clear cut regulations that allow schools to cane students that break rules and protect the school and teacher from any outburst from parent.

if moe cannot come out to take the heat, it wont work.

Some more PSLE akan Datang, if trama from canning?

I prefer if the parent just go head on and send a legal letter as well as a police report on physical abuse of kid and escalate the heck out of the system. 

13 minutes ago, Beregond said:

thats why moe must have clear cut regulations that allow schools to cane students that break rules and protect the school and teacher from any outburst from parent.

all civil service sectors are now scared of the public. no one will take the chance to break their own rice bowl by being kay khiang.

i for sure wouldn;t. knowing my bosses will hang me out to dry should something go wrong. that is what we have in the public sector these days. So why bother to change things unless it comes from the Minister or coming from those who suggest whatever crappy idea and never get any flak for it should things fail. 

• Praise 3

12 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

all civil service sectors are now scared of the public. no one will take the chance to break their own rice bowl by being kay khiang.

i for sure wouldn;t. knowing my bosses will hang me out to dry should something go wrong. that is what we have in the public sector these days. So why bother to change things unless it comes from the Minister or coming from those who suggest whatever crappy idea and never get any flak for it should things fail. 

if there is not law to protect the teacher and school, no 1 will take chance and do physical or even verbal punishment to student,

esp in the modern days when social medial is so rampage.

thats y u see more and more boys become sexual predator when they grow up and go U .

now all school care about is how many A, A+

• Praise 1

Actually in today's context, I think most schools already try to make it very clear on what 'grave misconduct' means. It's all specified in the student handbook and a similar handbook / information booklet documenting the disciplinary requirements / policies. Caning is still very much a feature in many schools and in my personal view, should be here to stay. 

My only concern through observation, as some of you have mentioned, is that the deterrent effect of caning might be on the wane. Some of you highlighted that for some recalcitrant offenders, caning now becomes a 'badge of honour' of sorts, or something that gives presumed 'street cred' to them, rather than reform them. Most of the time, I reckon it has to do a lot with parental attitudes and/or family upbringing. On the negative side, I've encountered entitled parents questioning teachers' meting out collective punishment and disciplining their children; There are parents who will also barge into school and threaten complaints to MOE / MP / PM and  threaten to sue the school; even when their kid is clearly in the wrong. With their blatant disregard for the school's authority, what kind of message does that send to their kids? 

Family context / background also has a part to play. It is quite sad that sometimes, we have kids who go astray because of unfortunate family circumstances (e.g. broken families; abusive parents/households, poverty etc.). Sometimes it pans out well where despite the circumstances, we have kids who are willing to change and strive for better and end up doing good for themselves; on the other side of the coin, the kids remain defiant and spiral into the same negative circumstances as their parents and the cycle repeats itself. 

• Praise 6

39 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Fully agreed. 

In such situations, having a good Principal and HODs is very important. The last thing a teacher needs is to have his Principal hang him out to dry when fit hits the shan.

• Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Beregond said:

if there is not law to protect the teacher and school, no 1 will take chance and do physical or even verbal punishment to student,

esp in the modern days when social medial is so rampage.

thats y u see more and more boys become sexual predator when they grow up and go U .

now all school care about is how many A, A+

yup. there has been a few cases of upskirts and abuse of teachers by the students. but being teachers.... in the end LLST. nothing can be done.

• Praise 2

30 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

yup. there has been a few cases of upskirts and abuse of teachers by the students. but being teachers.... in the end LLST. nothing can be done.

if the rule of thumb is to ask for an apology if something goes wrong, and making a police report if there is legal recourse then we are in a " big problem, downgrade it to small problem " " small problem downgrade it to misunderstanding and forgive. May not forget, but forgive and move on"

Then we have a world environment where we never speak about the problems that we have. Only keep it within our hearts. Is that the right thing, I doubt so. 

Is that an easier way to contain escalation. Of course. Else you have mayhem like HK.

• Praise 1

50 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

NOTHING can be done?

Really? That's an absolute situation with no solution?

How about calling in the parents to give them 2 options.

1. Wise the kiddo up themselves or

2. School will wise the kiddo by expelling him/her. This may seem too harsh but if comes to this stage,  its solely the parent's choice to be here.

Its such a place and ppl who HAVE the ability to change but chose to not bother or turn blind eyes then kpkb alot of work stress. 

Why should the school be responsible for the PARENTING of any kiddo, let alone 35 - 44 of them ?

Disciplining is a task for teachers because kiddos are there to learn, not to be entertained by spoilt brats or bullies or defiant ones not happy to study. It is for keeping the noise down and nonsense out of classrooms.

Cane - a basic tool and such a powerful one in the hand of a discerning parent or teacher or VP/P.

Teachers who have hands tied behind their back is as effective as a parrot, can only use mouth to plead soft words on a rowdy few. 

I think it all starts from a place called heart. Heart to teach well, concerned enuff to correct and firmly want to be a good role model of a responsible adult.

Reminded me of an occasion when i met up with one of my former Secondary school teacher almost 8 years after i left.

She was my form mistress for 2 years. Very strict, firm and no nonsense type of person. She taught me English and Literature. Her style of teaching is everyone must answer at least 1 question on the blackboard. No need put up hand. She will sometimes start from front row from left side onwards, or right side or from the middle or back to front. No one escape from learning. Her glare can set our legs shaking. It was always very quiet when she's teaching. Nope. None slept or dozed off.

There's a wooden ruler in her hand. She will ask u to stretch out hand and hit once. It's the embarrassment of being disciplined that motivated most of us not to allow that ruler to touch our hand. Hello, sec 1 sec 2 liao how can? Well. Can and she done it.

I told her "Teacher, u are so different now. You were always so strict and fierce." Speaking to her as an adult and she responded thoughtfully, "If i had not been strict or fierce, no one will pay attention in class or learn."

That was donkey years ago but Mrs Low will always be respected as one of the best teacher i was so lucky to have. My love for English and Literature started from the time she taught. 2 more teachers, Mrs Olhers and Mrs Ramansami built upon this foundation in my upper Secondary years. Their lessons and sharings are etched in my mind and always will. They are my teachers. My "second" parents for want of a word.

Sorry for digress. Old age does cause one to reflect more. I guess its because we can take alot of ppl and things for granted while young and the world is less tiring, less responsibilities and less vexing. 

😅😂 paiseh. Dun mind my yada-ing. Kam sia 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 3

Off topic but when i was young, there were lots of those sword fighting shows (now it seems it's all love affairs) between this sect and that sect in ancient china.

So me and my young bro and cousin would like to pretend we were sword fighting heroes.  And we would take the canes from our parent's room and pretend they were the legendary swords and so on.  Then we would fight each other.

So we had a lot of cane marks (if you were a lousy sword fighter since you couldn't block it).  :DThose were the days.   I wonder if kids still do that...  And after each session we would watch the next sword fighting episode to learn new techniques.

Our parents ended up spending more money replacing the canes...  

Back to topic.  Our teachers also caned us but looking back I think there was abuse cos I remember teachers would stuff chalk into talkative student's mouth.  Thinking back i think THAT was dangerous.  That was in the the early 1980s when I was still in kindergarten.

• Praise 2

On 9/5/2019 at 10:07 AM, kobayashiGT said:

Start review of caning in schools

image.png.2a58ec56d10d6a1e0042b939a0a2cedd.png

It was reported that in schools, corporal punishment is allowed for male students in severe cases of a grave or repeated misconduct and that such punishments are carried out in private (Most parents here don't spare the rod on kids at home: Study, July 30).

I commend the Ministry of Education's (MOE) guidelines on how corporal punishment is carried out as it maintains the offender's dignity and ensures he commits to a path of redemption and counselling.

Certain schools have even abolished corporal punishment and opted for counselling and follow-up guidance instead.

The term "grave or repeated misconduct" is broad and subjective.

It is about time MOE started a review on caning. Offences liable for corporal punishment should be streamlined, specific and standardised throughout Singapore's education system.

Anelka Tay Salam, 16

Secondary 4 student

No wonder so many si ginah nowdays 😛

• Praise 1

I dunno they caned kids in primary school. 

When i was young, my teachers used to use wooden, metal and plastic rulers to whack our palm. But that was accepted.

Ince in P3-P4, I got pinched (those pinch and twist) by one malay middle aged teacher though (i can't remember if he  was a math or english teacher) until i got bruised. Probably for talking in class. My parents were very angry. 

But haha being smacked on the hand with ruler is fair game

Taiwanese public school teachers punish their students by making them run round the tracks or clean the school compounds (as caning is illegal in public schools). In some private schools, the schools allow private arrangement via signed agreement with parents who prefer to have their kids caned by teachers for certain offenses. I like their approach.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 1

12 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

Some more PSLE akan Datang, if trama from canning?

I prefer if the parent just go head on and send a legal letter as well as a police report on physical abuse of kid and escalate the heck out of the system. 

The kid should have been told, if scared, don't fight. If fight, don't scared... Then grow up will know to mod his car or car chng or not. 

• Praise 2

On 9/5/2019 at 12:08 PM, Volvobrick said:

Didn't get caned in school, only kena the metre-ruler.  However got plenty of caning at home and the govt didn't regular that!  😂

PS to the IT team - the new emojis are terrible - no colour and so small!  People with old flower eyes cannot distinguish one from another.  Bring back the old ones please!

I remember our teacher broke the meter ruler caning my classmate.....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1