Start review of caning in schools

kobayashiGT

22 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I dunno they caned kids in primary school. 

When i was young, my teachers used to use wooden, metal and plastic rulers to whack our palm. But that was accepted.

Ince in P3-P4, I got pinched (those pinch and twist) by one malay middle aged teacher though (i can't remember if he  was a math or english teacher) until i got bruised. Probably for talking in class. My parents were very angry. 

But haha being smacked on the hand with ruler is fair game

May be that is why our generation kids all ended so "out of shape" 

• Praise 2

59 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

What about the teacher throw the student's book across the classroom?

This one I tio until use to it liao..[laugh][laugh][laugh]

33 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

This one I tio until use to it liao..[laugh][laugh][laugh]

My primary school. We on 3rd floor. The teacher throw the exercise book out of the window. Need to go down and pick it up and return to class. 

Well honestly, such methods are not effective in dealing with children. 

• Praise 2

On 9/5/2019 at 10:25 PM, Jamesc said:

Looking at the strawberry generation today

I think its the parents that need the caning.

No point blaming the kids when the parents never bring them up properly.

The parents never teach the kids not to shame the family good name.

This one especially.

Bring shame to the family only.

😀  

image.jpeg.204ce2df0d70c6cf19f804f7bdd9d30c.jpeg

Your better half parents agree? 

8 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

My primary school. We on 3rd floor. The teacher throw the exercise book out of the window. Need to go down and pick it up and return to class. 

i not so bad, mine was always across the classroom only, but my exercise book was tio throw until pages all drop need to tape it back one.  I think kiam cai from the market looks better than my book..[laugh]

Those were the years when parents were mostly "farmers" ( read boh tak chek), and most dont have much time with their kids. And with the believe that school know best, they leave it to the school to teach and discipline their children. But those only apply to Primary schools, most kids start to understand and behave when they move up to secondary school, or at least know not to do funny things in school anymore. 

The well behave ones, usually come from good family back ground. The masses of the students usually will behave in school. Those few who always run into trouble in school, usually also run into trouble outside, and caning to them is like having just another meal. 

I have never been caned, but I mixed with the good and the bad when I was in school. So I somehow get to know these ppl. 

Caning in school is useful, only when parents cane at home also, and it only creates fear up to a certain age, and that certain age has drop throughout the years. Beyond that age, caning actually make things worse, at least that is how I want to believe.

Time has change, things have change, so schools will have to change also.

Teachers' day just passed, and some schools even have a "coolest teacher" award. While some teachers are using songs to teach, others believe in outside classroom learning. No teachers do these years ago.

Today there are class whatsapp grps with the teacher involved, giving instructions and reminders via whatsapp, using google drive to share and teach, students using gaming platform to study together, and talking about who is the cooler teacher. In some schools, students even compare teachers and want to choose their subject teachers.  All these never heard of when we were at the stage. 

So, yah, I think we need to find out how to handle kids these days in school, those methods may not work anymore. 

At least now some schools dont even have exercise books to throw anymore, students carry a laptop to school. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, RadX said:

Helicopter parenting

You work late and come home eat dinner and sleep. The kid has a large amount of homework. But just because there is no proper "feel of the pulse" the kids get involved in an incident, you also start to wonder why he or she behaves that way. And then the self-protection kicks in. Isn't the school suppose to be the guardian of the galaxy.?

2 hours ago, Tianmo said:

i not so bad, mine was always across the classroom only, but my exercise book was tio throw until pages all drop need to tape it back one.  I think kiam cai from the market looks better than my book..[laugh]

Those were the years when parents were mostly "farmers" ( read boh tak chek), and most dont have much time with their kids. And with the believe that school know best, they leave it to the school to teach and discipline their children. But those only apply to Primary schools, most kids start to understand and behave when they move up to secondary school, or at least know not to do funny things in school anymore. 

The well behave ones, usually come from good family back ground. The masses of the students usually will behave in school. Those few who always run into trouble in school, usually also run into trouble outside, and caning to them is like having just another meal. 

I have never been caned, but I mixed with the good and the bad when I was in school. So I somehow get to know these ppl. 

Caning in school is useful, only when parents cane at home also, and it only creates fear up to a certain age, and that certain age has drop throughout the years. Beyond that age, caning actually make things worse, at least that is how I want to believe.

Time has change, things have change, so schools will have to change also.

Teachers' day just passed, and some schools even have a "coolest teacher" award. While some teachers are using songs to teach, others believe in outside classroom learning. No teachers do these years ago.

Today there are class whatsapp grps with the teacher involved, giving instructions and reminders via whatsapp, using google drive to share and teach, students using gaming platform to study together, and talking about who is the cooler teacher. In some schools, students even compare teachers and want to choose their subject teachers.  All these never heard of when we were at the stage. 

So, yah, I think we need to find out how to handle kids these days in school, those methods may not work anymore. 

At least now some schools dont even have exercise books to throw anymore, students carry a laptop to school. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Canning was because in the earlier days, we live in a lawless sort of society where gangland crashes in red hill and other parts of singapore that Canning was the most effective deterrent to instil a sense of discipline.

Those were the days of Riots and all sort of physical protest aka HK that if you dont have a way to deal with it, the school will be over run.

3 hours ago, Lala81 said:

that was for bad hand writting ... 

On 9/6/2019 at 1:24 PM, Lala81 said:

I dunno they caned kids in primary school. 

When i was young, my teachers used to use wooden, metal and plastic rulers to whack our palm. But that was accepted.

Ince in P3-P4, I got pinched (those pinch and twist) by one malay middle aged teacher though (i can't remember if he  was a math or english teacher) until i got bruised. Probably for talking in class. My parents were very angry. 

But haha being smacked on the hand with ruler is fair game

Caning rarely happens in Primary School nowadays unless its really serious. 

Your shared experience and some of the other sharing brings back memories - especially the hitting with the ruler. I don't know why but it seemed to be the favourite mode of punishment meted out by CL2 teachers, who were really fierce. Spelling wrong kena beat, talking in class, kena beat. Somehow the wooden ruler was damn effective in bringing about a stinging pain that triggers all the pain sensors in the nerves.  Haha!

• Praise 1

17 hours ago, Voodooman said:

School canning usually can't solve the problem of bad parenting.  Counsel first, then suspension, then Boy's Home.

but the father is too old to go to Boy's home [laugh]

• Praise 2

On 9/7/2019 at 5:39 PM, Kb27 said:

Why need to cane ?

Threats of suspensions and getting kicked out of school will do the trick.

As I shared earlier,  these days, a lot of students actually take it as a 'badge of honour' or assumed 'street-cred' to receive punishment.

In my opinion, suspension also has mixed effects, again depending on the student / parents. For some kids, they're happy to be suspended because it means they need not come to school. Even though the lesson behind suspension is more to help them understand how much they lose out on by not being in school; a lot of kids are still not mature enough to absorb that lesson, albeit a very small minority do. In the past, I think we'd be embarrassed to ever be punished - be it caning, sent out of class, suspended etc. But these days, kids appear to take it more matter-of-fact, and it doesn't have that same 'impact' or 'stigma' as before. 

5 minutes ago, Ronkovic said:

As I shared earlier,  these days, a lot of students actually take it as a 'badge of honour' or assumed 'street-cred' to receive punishment.

In my opinion, suspension also has mixed effects, again depending on the student / parents. For some kids, they're happy to be suspended because it means they need not come to school. Even though the lesson behind suspension is more to help them understand how much they lose out on by not being in school; a lot of kids are still not mature enough to absorb that lesson, albeit a very small minority do. In the past, I think we'd be embarrassed to ever be punished - be it caning, sent out of class, suspended etc. But these days, kids appear to take it more matter-of-fact, and it doesn't have that same 'impact' or 'stigma' as before. 

Everyone seems to like the "dangerous" or "bad boy" image. The way to counter it is to tell them being caned doesn't mean you're a bad ass. It just means you're stupid enough to have been caught. 😂

• Praise 2

On 9/6/2019 at 1:55 PM, Weez911 said:

Taiwanese public school teachers punish their students by making them run round the tracks or clean the school compounds (as caning is illegal in public schools). In some private schools, the schools allow private arrangement via signed agreement with parents who prefer to have their kids caned by teachers for certain offenses. I like their approach.

SG schools also have lar... not only caning.... sec school i was involved in a fight with 3 others just outside school... 4 of us kena make to hammer stones for a week lol

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

Everyone seems to like the "dangerous" or "bad boy" image. The way to counter it is to tell them being caned doesn't mean you're a bad ass. It just means you're stupid enough to have been caught. 😂

Exactly! All these so-called 'Rebels' without a Cause and 'Rebels' without a Clue! 😂

• Praise 1

On 9/7/2019 at 2:37 PM, RadX said:

Helicopter parenting

I cant agree more but there are some exceptions

look at yourself, your school teacher since primary until secondary beat you until you out of shape still like that

some, lets just say, no hope

ok ok when it is the first warning coming

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

but the father is too old to go to Boy's home [laugh]

Lol...

Yes, should send the father and counsel the parents on how to communicate and teach their kids. 

↡ Advertisement