Malaysian commando shot dead in live-firing demo

StreetFight3r

Bolehland commando like that one. Take training to the next level. Was told these kind of live bullet trainings are staple fare for their commandos usually behind closed doors. 

• Praise 2

Very silly when I heard it. Risk for little reward. U can always do live firing on targets. 

Trusting your gear is one thing but this one is too silly. 

• Praise 1

On 9/6/2019 at 6:05 PM, Angcheek said:

whoever planned for this shld be held responsible ........ many just like to look good for giving crazy ideas ... 

<_<

Ask him to wear bulletproof vest and run in the field, get another 10 soldiers holding rifles loaded with live bullets to shoot him. 

• Praise 2

44 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Very silly when I heard it. Risk for little reward. U can always do live firing on targets. 

More amazingly is they trust their own colleague's shooting accuracy with their own life. Sadly a precious life is lost.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/6/2019 at 4:29 PM, StreetFight3r said:

dead-malaysian-commando-1.jpg.7cb4acd2c94baf1d21620b63ef3684f8.jpg

KOTA KINABALU: Malaysian police said on Thursday (Sep 6) they are investigating the death of a 36-year-old commando officer who was shot in a live-firing demonstration at Lok Kawi Camp in Sabah on Wednesday.

Major Mohd Zahir Armaya was then rushed to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Kota Kinabalu, where he later died.

Inspector-General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador said a probe will be carried out to identify the cause of the incident.

“I am confident there is an SOP (standard operating procedure) and it may not be overlooked," he told reporters. "The demonstration was well organised but the accident still occurred.”

He added: “The Sabah Police Commissioner will release a statement soon (on the development of the case).”

Abdul Hamid also asked the public to refrain from posting any offensive comments online.

TERRORIST ROLE-PLAY

The exercise - held in conjunction with the launch of the Fifth Division Infantry and the 13th Infantry Brigade - involved a clash between a group of "terrorists" and the armed forces.

All the participants wore bullet-proof vests.

dead-malaysian-commando-5.png.0eb0dd2a87e8323defdcd442f1f65296.png

Major Mohd Zahir, who played the role of the terrorist leader, had fired a pistol at an army officer, causing him to fall on his knees in pain.

The officer then stood up and fired his pistol at Mohd Zahir, who had a red bottle target on the back of his bullet vest.

The shot caused Mohd Zahir to fall and two army personnel then pulled him to the side of the parade field.

He appeared unconscious and was believed to have sustained serious injuries.

An army medical team at the ceremony gave him first aid before sending him to hospital, where he was pronounced dead at about 9.20am.

"WE WERE VERY CLOSE"

On Wednesday, more than 1,000 people, including friends, family members and officials paid their last respects to Mohd Zahir at the Wardieburn Camp mosque in Kuala Lumpur.

The late major's body was then buried at the Tambun Muslim Cemetery in Ipoh. He was survived by a widow and five children, aged between five months and nine years old.

Mohd Zahir's father, veteran actor and comedian A R Badul, received the news of the incident from his daughter-in-law.

“I received the news this morning and was shocked and sad. But I take it as a test from Allah," he told Bernama.

“We were very close and he had contacted and met me before. I was told that the bullet went a little further than the bullet-proof plaque and hit his body.”

dead-malaysian-commando-3.thumb.gif.56cd984d6e991a61b1e781aaa9bb719c.gif

Mirdat Mohamad, who is Mohd Zahir's uncle, said the family wishes for a thorough investigation to find the exact cause of the incident.

"We wish for him to have a fair investigation, a fair trial and a proper closure. If this was negligence, hopefully it would not happen again in the future," said the 54-year-old. “We will leave it to the police and army."

King Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah and his consort Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah expressed their sympathies and sadness to Mohd Zahir's family.

Condolences also poured in from other Malaysian leaders, including the communications minister, the chief of army and Sabah's chief minister.

Kam lan has no cure.... Live round in demo on a live person..... 

1 hour ago, Yeshe said:

Kam lan has no cure.... Live round in demo on a live person..... 

Maybe they did rehearsal no problem.. 🙄

Curiously..

Article say missed the "bullet-proof plaque ". And a handgun was used. 

Plate hard inserts are meant to protect against rifle rounds,  (soft vest only protect from hand guns) so even if miss the plate and hit the vest,  this should not happen. 

Unless headshot... This could suggest bullet proof vest failure..... or no vest worn. 

Either way.. massive safety fail

Whoever dreamt up this demo should be shot.

Without a vest.

😀

But not head shot

Cos he bullet will go straight through as no brain.

• Praise 6

11 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Think we can't equate our level of risk assessment with theirs. There are soldiers, commandos, then there is the elite level above picked from top of the range humans. Delta force, sas, and russian elite forces do hostage rescue training with live ammo, and I'm sure many other highly respected forces do. 

Not right to say there is little reward. It could prolong their lives on a battlefield, ironically.

“There is also a building of trust between the one holding the weapon and the one holding the target,” said another source.

Occasionally, commandos will put on live-fire demonstrations mirroring the training so as to show the capabilities of the special forces, as was the case in Sabah.

Many have criticised live-fire exercises around the world, especially after fatal incidents are reported.

In 2009, an Australian commando was killed during a live-fire training prior to being deployed to Afghanistan. This was followed by a public outcry.

But former special forces commando Jim Wallace, in an interviewed with Australia’s ABC News, said such training was “highly dangerous, but essential”.

ABC News also interviewed the editor-at-large of Australian Defence Magazine, Greg Ferguson, who said live-fire exercises were necessary to prepare the army for real combat.

“You can train to a certain degree using blank ammunition or using lasers on an indoor range.

“You can learn to fly on a simulator but at some point you have to step into a real airplane.

“At some point you have to start firing live ammunition because as soon as you do that, as soon as the consequences of your actions are more than just a reboot, the training value increases hugely,” he was quoted as saying.

even our living firing during NS - was it the battle inoculation course? - was not so garang

the firing line was so high that even if you stood up and jumped like Michael Jordan, bullets also couldn't hit u

• Praise 2

25 minutes ago, Karoon said:

Think we can't equate our level of risk assessment with theirs. There are soldiers, commandos, then there is the elite level above picked from top of the range humans. Delta force, sas, and russian elite forces do hostage rescue training with live ammo, and I'm sure many other highly respected forces do. 

Not right to say there is little reward. It could prolong their lives on a battlefield, ironically.

They shoot targets in buildings with live ammo. As in clear and search rooms with live ammo. And those are target with hostages.

I am pretty sure the western special forces don't shoot EACH OTHER  with live ammo. Whether you are wearing vest or not. 

What they do is have live hostages but with figure 11s in the room beside the hostages. And they probably use mp5s which are more accurate than regular pistol shooting. 

U know even wearing kevlar, it's not uncommon to break a rib from the kinetic impact of the shot. 

Screenshot_20190908-105245_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 4

18 minutes ago, Scion said:

even our living firing during NS - was it the battle inoculation course? - was not so garang

the firing line was so high that even if you stood up and jumped like Michael Jordan, bullets also couldn't hit u

It's meant to let u know the sound of a gpmg lah. 

Seriously if u take live rounds and shoot the floor beside each recruit. I'm pretty sure at least 30-40% will get post traumatic stress disorder. 

The phillipines scout ranger course has a part where u stand beside a target that your course mate shoot at. To show your balls and trust in colleagues. 

Well they fight insurgents in the south, so that one maybe well warranted. 

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, Scion said:

Oh yah. What is this course call?

Live GPMG firing above, we performed all the fire movement below it.

Does NSF still have this training?

I am not sure any live firing got public at the side looking on.

A stray bullet could just hit anyone of them.

If really got public allowed to go please tell me

I will send my MIL there to see.

😀

If I am not wrong Margaret Thatcher went for a live firing demo at the SAS killing house.

They put two cardboard cut out of terrorists beside her and the SAS burst into the room

and shot at the cardboard cut out next to her.

I am sure they did not put 2 SAS soldiers in vest next to her to pretend to be terrorist.

Thatcher loved it and only her personal bodyguard was shaking and she scolded him

"Get up George, you’re embarrassing me.”

😀

The SAS are consistently ranked amongst the most badass and elite military units on Earth and they deservedly have a reputation for only accepting recruits so tough they can hammer diamond nails into a titanium plank with their dick. So imagine how chill a 50 year old women with a purse had to be in front of them to earn their respect.

Training exercises are always conducted using live ammo and the SAS is so confident in the skill of it’s operatives that during hostage rescue scenarios, they invite visiting VIPs to assume the role of a hostage in exercises. The idea being that the VIP gets to experience first hand why the SAS earned it reputation..

It was one of these hostage rescue scenarios that the late Margaret Thatcher was asked to take part some time in the 80’s while visiting an SAS regiment. While other VIPs and dignitaries visiting the SAS have only begrudgingly accepted this offer, the Iron Lady apparently jumped at the chance and insisted on being the hostage. Her bodyguard, apparently some douche called, George advised against this, prompting an annoyed Thatcher to suggest that if he was so worried about her safety around the most elite fighting force the country she ran had at its disposal, he should accompany her.

So a few minutes later Thatcher and her sheepish bodyguard were huddled into a room, sat at a table flanked by cardboard targets and were then left there in total darkness. A few minutes later an SAS operative kicked down the door, hurled a flashbang grenade through the hole, fired two rounds into every target and then hit the lights. When the smoke cleared the SAS operatives gathered were stunned to see Thatcher sat at total ease absentmindedly resting her hands on the table beside her purse. George on the other hand had responded to the hail of bullets by leaping under the table and cowering in a puddle of his fear urine. Prompting an irate Thatcher to, according to the SAS, say “Get up George, you’re embarrassing me.”

Even the British SAS don't use real soldier with vests to be targets of live ammunition.

The only use cardboard cutouts.

Boleh soldiers are tougher than the SAS.

But unfortunately not smarter.

😀

They are too stupid to see the risks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1