Prius+ vs Touran

Fi5hbone

On 9/7/2019 at 3:33 PM, Carbon82 said:

Check out both cars and go for a test drive with your family, back-to-back if possible, and decide which one suit your needs better (in term of performance, handling, space, etc. etc. - I term them butt feel). Car buying is a personal thing and largely depends on individual preference and ranking for the needs (vs wants).

Take myself for example, I wanted something big on the inside but small on the outside, powerful but sip fuel as if using a Yakult straw, have enough room for 7 pax yet still have space for my Ikea purchase, have good built quality but with cheap spare parts available, etc. etc. Where got such car?! So end of the day, I rank my needs (performance come first as I want to enjoy driving my car everyday, follow by space for 7 pax, and cheap spare parts last) and suddenly my choice become much clearer.

Just one pointer (not meant to sway your choice in anyway), do give due consideration to the cost of battery replacement for hybrid vehicle, if you plan to drive >5 years / till EOL. Most hybrid are likely to have 1 round of battery replacement throughout a 10 years cycle, unless you are the rare one that park your car at home most of the time.

BM now offers 10yrs unlimited replacement of battery. And i thought it's 2019 and the stigma around hybrid should have been gone..

↡ Advertisement

On 9/15/2019 at 12:58 PM, Fi5hbone said:

Thanks guys. 

I purchased a Touran yesterday. The Prius is very narrow compared to the Touran and is less spacious overall. 

Hope no regrets!

Buy liao no regret... just enjoy the ride till your next itch bite... kekekeke... 

On 9/6/2019 at 4:31 PM, Fi5hbone said:

Getting an MPV for ferrying kids and parents. Narrowed down to the above 2 but quite split between both. 

Any thoughts on which is better in terms of reliability and space?

Touran hands down

Sat in a few Prius+ Grab b4. Poor guy gotta drive that joyless thing around for 8-10hrs a day. I sit for 20 min journey oso sian of the car already....

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Soya said:

Touran hands down

Sat in a few Prius+ Grab b4. Poor guy gotta drive that joyless thing around for 8-10hrs a day. I sit for 20 min journey oso sian of the car already....

As a grab car a Prius is infinitely more reliable. In the end, making money is priority vs joy. 

1 hour ago, No_worries said:

I just came back from Shanghai. They are using the Mk1 Touran as a taxi.

Btw the word 沪 on the car plate is the other name for Shanghai.🤣

98B45CBC-14A5-4117-BFE6-474BD8D6317F.jpeg

Wow it screams VW Taxi in case people dunno.

On 9/15/2019 at 12:58 PM, Fi5hbone said:

Thanks guys. 

I purchased a Touran yesterday. The Prius is very narrow compared to the Touran and is less spacious overall. 

Hope no regrets!

Take good care of the DSG gearbox to prolong it's lifespan (there's another thread with tips). Also recommend u change the transmission oil at lower interval compared to service interval. 

1 hour ago, badlammy said:

Wow it screams VW Taxi in case people dunno.

Yes 大众means “the masses” in Chinese and it refer to Volkswagen Group in this case.

Edited by No_worries

13 hours ago, No_worries said:

I just came back from Shanghai. They are using the Mk1 Touran as a taxi.

Btw the word 沪 on the car plate is the other name for Shanghai.🤣

Got a lot of Touran teksi stranded on the road there or not? Coz ppl always say VW spoil

43 minutes ago, Soya said:

Got a lot of Touran teksi stranded on the road there or not? Coz ppl always say VW spoil

no, but these toruan are based on the older golf5 platform and using the basic old 1.6 engines and are all manual. most of them i have sat in are in decent condition with check engine light on.

VW wont bother to fix the existing issues. They will just come up with a new car....with new issues. It's a never ending vicious cycle. Just like you buy an Android phone, they wont bother with software update, they will just come up with a new phone in a year. KNS.

You just read the comments you will know what's going on. 

Ppl telling you to sayang the gb. What's the point? Your car got that potential but you have to sayang the gb?

The clutches will wear out regardless of how early you do the gb oil change. It's not cheap. Why pay so much maintenance for a gb when it's a B&B car? Somemore it's dangerous if you dont change out the worn clutches when the symptoms start to show.

The workshop will keep replacing the gb until the warranty is up then it's up to you to decide whether to keep paying a lot for replacement or to give it up.  B&B car leh. Not Supercar or sports car.

Edited by Watwheels

Neutral Newbie

I picked a Touran over a Prius+. What my family couldn't live with was the lack of aircon vents in the 2nd and 3rd rows. Also, as a passenger the Prius feels like a saloon car with low ceiling. The Touran feels like a proper people mover with headroom and sunroof. The engine and GB are mighty quick. Downsides are the roll and I got the version without the keyless entry. 

Edited by JTL
Spelling
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Why VW cars not reliable and spare parts expensive? I thought VW is a better bread and butter car than Toyota

power, torque,practical and space all have 

Neutral Newbie
On 11/13/2019 at 10:31 PM, JTL said:

I picked a Touran over a Prius+. What my family couldn't live with was the lack of aircon vents in the 2nd and 3rd rows. Also, as a passenger the Prius feels like a saloon car with low ceiling. The Touran feels like a proper people mover with headroom and sunroof. The engine and GB are mighty quick. Downsides are the roll and I got the version without the keyless entry. 

Why dont choose the EQP? Resale value better correct? And keyless, anti theft also 

Neutral Newbie
On 11/7/2019 at 11:30 AM, Watwheels said:

VW wont bother to fix the existing issues. They will just come up with a new car....with new issues. It's a never ending vicious cycle. Just like you buy an Android phone, they wont bother with software update, they will just come up with a new phone in a year. KNS.

You just read the comments you will know what's going on. 

Ppl telling you to sayang the gb. What's the point? Your car got that potential but you have to sayang the gb?

The clutches will wear out regardless of how early you do the gb oil change. It's not cheap. Why pay so much maintenance for a gb when it's a B&B car? Somemore it's dangerous if you dont change out the worn clutches when the symptoms start to show.

The workshop will keep replacing the gb until the warranty is up then it's up to you to decide whether to keep paying a lot for replacement or to give it up.  B&B car leh. Not Supercar or sports car.

But outside workshop also can replace at a lower cost correct? 

Neutral Newbie
On 11/6/2019 at 9:17 PM, Ceecookie said:

Take good care of the DSG gearbox to prolong it's lifespan (there's another thread with tips). Also recommend u change the transmission oil at lower interval compared to service interval. 

So every 5k change or 15k? If every 5k, doesnt it seems like tyre rotation drill? 

↡ Advertisement