Prius+ vs Touran

Fi5hbone

Getting an MPV for ferrying kids and parents. Narrowed down to the above 2 but quite split between both. 

Any thoughts on which is better in terms of reliability and space?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

19 hours ago, Fi5hbone said:

Getting an MPV for ferrying kids and parents. Narrowed down to the above 2 but quite split between both. 

Any thoughts on which is better in terms of reliability and space?

I know this is not going to help, but Prius is better for reliability and Touran is better for space 😊

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I know this is not going to help, but Prius is better for reliability and Touran is better for space 😊

Touran will have better drive.

• Praise 4

Reliability I reckon Toyota is better. Space maybe you might want to go check out the cars in the showroom and try out? I think they might both be about the same but I've never actually tried either car personally.

• Praise 1

Check out both cars and go for a test drive with your family, back-to-back if possible, and decide which one suit your needs better (in term of performance, handling, space, etc. etc. - I term them butt feel). Car buying is a personal thing and largely depends on individual preference and ranking for the needs (vs wants).

Take myself for example, I wanted something big on the inside but small on the outside, powerful but sip fuel as if using a Yakult straw, have enough room for 7 pax yet still have space for my Ikea purchase, have good built quality but with cheap spare parts available, etc. etc. Where got such car?! So end of the day, I rank my needs (performance come first as I want to enjoy driving my car everyday, follow by space for 7 pax, and cheap spare parts last) and suddenly my choice become much clearer.

Just one pointer (not meant to sway your choice in anyway), do give due consideration to the cost of battery replacement for hybrid vehicle, if you plan to drive >5 years / till EOL. Most hybrid are likely to have 1 round of battery replacement throughout a 10 years cycle, unless you are the rare one that park your car at home most of the time.

• Praise 10

1 hour ago, Chucky2007 said:

When car is new to 3 years old or below 70,000km, maybe Touran will be better choice.. after that will regret not getting the Toyota

I would say this is true of the previous generation of VW. Not so much on the new generation of VW.

I have been thru many iterations of VW and while its true that the drive is great, the turbo leak and plastics sucks .

But the latest generation seems to have nail it. Even better is to include the Skoda range into the equation as it has better equipe engine and bells and whistle for someone to be more convinced of getting into a conti ride.

But the number 1 question which is still true would be, would you rather be in an accident riding a Toyota or a VW / Skoda.

On 9/7/2019 at 3:52 PM, Sdf4786k said:

But the number 1 question which is still true would be, would you rather be in an accident riding a Toyota or a VW / Skoda.

Hmmm....not quite sure if that is a fair question or statement, because the Japs score equally well at Euro NCap safety ratings....

• Praise 1

If you want reliability, it's safer to stay with Toyota.

Conti car parts are generally more expensive, not bcuz they are better, but simply bcuz they are more expensive. So you need to have deeper pockets or are willing to spend more time in a workshop.

3 hours ago, Fi5hbone said:

Thanks everyone for your comments. My only concern about the Prius+ is the space.

Does Skoda have an MPV?

No MPV in Skoda lineup. The only thing 7 seater available is the Kodiaq which is a mid size SUV.

skoda_kodiaq_lk_002.jpg

• Praise 5

On 9/10/2019 at 10:53 AM, Toeknee_33 said:

Hmmm....not quite sure if that is a fair question or statement, because the Japs score equally well at Euro NCap safety ratings....

Car to been sold in Europe are always full safety spec.

For Conti ride many don't have a lower spec version to sell outside Europe. So we are mostly getting almost fully safety spec conti.

But Japanese ride is different,  many built for Asean model are lower spec, or the AD brought in the lower spec model to reduce the OMV.

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Advancer said:

How about mitsubishi outlander?

Cheaper than both cars and yet big and decent power.

3rd row not for everyday use though.

The 2.0L model are quite under power, mitsubishi CVT are quite noisy.

23 hours ago, Tohto said:

Car to been sold in Europe are always full safety spec.

For Conti ride many don't have a lower spec version to sell outside Europe. So we are mostly getting almost fully safety spec conti.

But Japanese ride is different,  many built for Asean model are lower spec, or the AD brought in the lower spec model to reduce the OMV.

I agree with you that there are many de-contented Jap cars running around without the full complement of safety features which are very important in the crash safety. However the crash structure that absorbs and deflects a major crash impact that helps survivability is still intact. 

Having said that, the BM Prius Plus does have it's full complement of 7 airbags 😏

Thanks guys. 

I purchased a Touran yesterday. The Prius is very narrow compared to the Touran and is less spacious overall. 

Hope no regrets!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6