Seven habits of the Singapore Driver

therock

10 hours ago, Jamesc said:

People speeding to me is not a problem.

The problem is people driving slow on lane 1.

They just cause congestion and should have their licence revoked.

😀

When I am on a multi lanes express ways , if I see that there are not many trucks and lorries on lane 3 and 4 or 5, i would rather  take any of those lanes because likely those lanes are faster .

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Benarsenal said:

Is this really from Prof Tommy Koh? It just feels very inflammatory and click bait.

I don't agree with most of what he said. Aside from don't give way, everything else he said is too exaggerated, to the point where I don't think a highly respected person like Prof Koh would actually say this.

Maybe he also lost his way like lao goh

• Praise 5
  • Sad 1

The writer is definitely one of those self righteous road hogging, move off slowly on green light so that cars behind him/her will kena red light again type. 

Prove me wrong if the writer is reading my post. 

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, mersaylee said:

It may technically not wrong but I dislike the use of nationality to describe the drivers in any given country.

How to be sure the errant drivers are indeed holding the red passport?

If I dislike the way drivers drive in London... I’d limit to say drivers in London...won’t say UK drivers yade yade...

Yeah when I am on the NSH and see a hogger on the fast lane.

Its usually an SG plate car but I never say its an SG driver.

I am sure all the hoggers are Msians driving Singapore cars and holding everyone up.

😀

I also have no proof as I never ask to see the Msian passport of the driver.

• Praise 2

When I in Japan and I see all the polite and safe drivers in Japanese plate cars

I also never say Japanese drivers are all polite and safe ones.

I also never stop the drivers and ask to see their passport.

😀

When i in India and I see drivers in India plate cars driving badly 

I never say Indian drivers are like that one.

They maybe not Indian driving those cars as I never see their passport also.

😀

But I have to say even bad driving in India I think what is worse is cars

in Singapore where cars accelerate when you signal and merging lanes

the car behind will always try to squeeze in front.

Of course I am not saying its Singapore drivers that drive like a**holes.

Its just SG plate cars and could be Japanese and Indian and Malaysian drivers

that are doing these days things. I also never see their passports.

• Praise 3

7 reasons why singaporeans have 7 bad habits.

1. Speeding

Countries worldwide, including Asia or even within SE Asia has expressway speed limits at 100 or 110km/h.

Here, we are still faced with speed limits from the WWII era. Worse still, long stretches of flyovers that are meant to facilitate the flow of traffic end up with speed limit at 70.

2. Overtaking

In rich middle east countries, right most lane are only meant for overtaking or supercars.

Here in Singapore, you have jokers trying to show that they pay road tax and are obliged to take that lane even at 70 or 80 km/h.

Try driving behind them and not overtake them. So gracious.

3. Beating the red light

Even in our neighbouring country, traffic light junctions come with count down timer before it turns red.

Here, after being stuck in a jam for the never-ending road works, after you finally start moving, the next thing you see is the amber light.

4. Never give way

Go ahead and be that car that is so gentleman. Let one car cut in front of you.

Five more cars will follow suit until the car behind you starts honking like he saw a ghost.

5. Cut Queue

In the same rationale, join the queue, and see 10 cars cut queue one by one ahead of you.

And you thought you paid a high price for COE, which was meant to cut down the traffic on the road.

But it is not even peak hour, and there is already a queue, even though u paid for ERP just 100m ago.

6. Poor Parking

You park your car right in the centre of the carpark lot. 

You grin from ear to ear, and cannot stop admiring how good you are at parking with just one reverse.

When you open your car door, there is a huge pillar blocking you from opening your door properly.

You wonder how did this kind of carpark get approved in the first place?

You swear from head to toe, and have no choice but to park your car slightly touching the lot line.

7. Using the indicator

This, I have to agree that there is no excuse unless the driver got so agitated after seeing someone else who refused to signal, that he broke the indicator.

Just for laughs,

Drive safe everyone.

• Praise 2

My take - the 3 major culprits for contravening no. 7 (i.e. not activating indicators) - Merz, BMW and Audi drivers, and all in same ranking.  Observed during my last 30 years of driving. 

N.B.  we must learn to agree to disagree

• Shocked 1

majority of it is not true. i see them on a daily basis in australia as well, especially not giving way when merging. having driven in multiple countries around the world, 2 on daily basis, every country will have some c**t sitting in the right lane doing the speed limit thinking they're perfect by not braking the law. although, i see less of right/left hoggers in uk and europe.. the drivers there seem to be pretty spot on when it comes to that..

one thing i'll agree on is 7) not using indicators. whenever my laopei pick me up from the airport when i'm back, i just can't stand his driving style. OTOT don't care what lane, never use signal. when he come aust drive my car, i also scared.. not sure if i lived too long overseas, but going back sg and see friends or relative driving style, really buay tahan..

Edited by louisbosco
  • Praise 1

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:52 PM, Jamesc said:

Complain overtaken on the left - means road hogger.

Accelerate like Lewis when light goes green - not true at all.

All the Hamiltons accelerate only when light changes to yellow.

Not signalling is true - no point saying not true when people here also say so.

😀

I ever overtake from the left as well cos like what u mentioned, it was a road hogger so I had no choice.

• Praise 6

3 hours ago, louisbosco said:

majority of it is not true. i see them on a daily basis in australia as well, especially not giving way when merging. having driven in multiple countries around the world, 2 on daily basis, every country will have some c**t sitting in the right lane doing the speed limit thinking they're perfect by not braking the law. although, i see less of right/left hoggers in uk and europe.. the drivers there seem to be pretty spot on when it comes to that..

one thing i'll agree on is 7) not using indicators. whenever my laopei pick me up from the airport when i'm back, i just can't stand his driving style. OTOT don't care what lane, never use signal. when he come aust drive my car, i also scared.. not sure if i lived too long overseas, but going back sg and see friends or relative driving style, really buay tahan..

Quite true driving habits in sg see liao indeed buay tahan. Seems like the bad driving style of people in sg is getting worst. The most common one is they dont signal when change lane, or use signal but change lane immediately without checking, also when driver wants to change lane due to want to filter left to the exit infront, they always like to cut infront of the car?  

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

On 9/10/2019 at 5:38 PM, 13177 said:

Quite true driving habits in sg see liao indeed buay tahan. Seems like the bad driving style of people in sg is getting worst. The most common one is they dont signal when change lane, or use signal but change lane immediately without checking, also when driver wants to change lane due to want to filter left to the exit infront, they always like to cut infront of the car?  

maybe hard to say if i didn't move overseas. hard to say whether getting worse or not. the thing is if i signal in SG, 90% nobody will slow down. especially when signalling to the over to take an exit for example... drove for about 3-4 years in sg before i moved overseas. back then i always relish the chance to drive up to malaysia because NSHW people will mostly give way when you coming down the right lane.. even in normal city like kl or johor. most will always give way..

Honestly, compared to many other countries, we are considered quite ok already. The main gripes here is probably drivers too impatient and inconsiderate perhaps. But you don't see people randomly knocking other people over or driving in the wrong direction (except for the very rare exceptional case).

As always we are in that middle ground, better than third world but not as good as first world.

On 9/7/2019 at 8:37 AM, therock said:

Does this describe you?

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/the-seven-habits-of-the-spore-driver

Speeding

Overtaking

Beating red lights

Not giving way

Potong jalan 

Poor Parking 

Not using the signal indicator 

"By invitation" - who the hell invited Tommy Koh to talk about road habits and what standing does he have in the area? That he's travelled the world? Wasn't he chauffeured around everywhere anyway? 

Also -and this is a general observation- "pundits" (not pundek hor) in the press love to engage in national level self-flagellation. It's hardly a uniquely Singaporean phenomenon. Motoring habits are one of the easy targets. For instance:

UK: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/bad-driving-habits-yougov-survey-a8863166.html

US: https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/editorials/2016/08/17/Bad-drivers-are-us-Americans-are-just-too-deadly-behind-the-wheel/stories/201608310062

Germany/Europe: https://www.euractiv.com/section/transport/news/germans-found-to-be-europe-s-most-aggressive-drivers/

etc...etc... etc... 

What is peculiarly Singaporean is that the ones doing the flagellation are not just press editors but ruling politicians and perceived "elites" (like Tommy Koh). I used the word "peculiarly" and not "uniquely" because other authoritarian regimes love to engage in similar patronising behavior toward their "wards", the "peasant" citizenry.

(And the criticism can be way out of proportion to the perceived slight. Someone rather important felt completely OK with calling us all "daft" for a bit of mild complaining when other citizenries have simply been voting their leaders out of power. Hmm, that's a thinker.)

The reason why leaders in genuine liberal democracies don't (or rather, can't) engage in this behavior is because they will simply lose the mandate to continue ruling. That is... less obviously operant here. 

Anyway, back on topic, it's not an unwarranted rebuttal to point out many design and regulatory flaws on our roads that compound the situation. @Rexter has already done a good job with this, and the only addition I have is with regard to the traffic lights - it's a point I've made before, but the US (for instance) has standards for the duration of amber lights. Ours just seem too short, and worse, inconsistent. Are they trying to improve safety or just entrap people here? 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

Why isnt road hogging included?  Road hogging is a serious problem in SG. I've driven in many countries, Europe, North America, Asia, down-under.... i dare say i hardly run into a road hogger driving outside SG.

Edited by Fu11thr0tt1e
  • Praise 2

If you have driven in other countries, you will realize the driving standards in SG are pretty low. We are talking about basic driver skills (keeping in lane on a straight road and during turning).

• Praise 2

After agreeing to a service, please have some mutual respect and pay the service provider for services rendered.

Avoid this bad habit and get famous for the wrong reason

Edited by Vinceng