Singapore Reckless Drivers Thread VII

RadX

Pedestrians always have the mentality that drivers will always be the one at fault if the vehicle hit them, this is reinforced by all the verdicts in court cases that always ruled against the drivers whether the pedestrians are jay-walking or dashed out from nowhere, which are just mitigating factors to determine the penalties.

↡ Advertisement

In my opinion, there is never just one single cause for an accident.

Yes, the van driver has to shoulder a big part of the responsibility for not keeping a proper lookout, but if the pedestrian had CHOSEN NOT to cross the road at that instance whereby she put herself in direct risk and path of the van, should would not have lost her life.

I am very sure for those who drive often enough to be able to see clearly that the pedestrian was EXPECTING the van to have seen her and give way to her. And I am very sure we meet such pedestrians all the time. Cyclists and PMD riders have joined in the party of having this mentality.

I just wished these road users stop having such expectations, because the video shows a classic example whereby the expectation was not met. It cannot be expected that all drivers will be able to notice and stop safely for all such road users. And what if the drivers were distracted by gadgets or people in their vehicles, or simple just not alert or awake?

Whenever I come across such road users, after the initial anger, I always tell myself that these people were lucky to have met me that day. Someone like me who was not distracted at that particular instance and had a good upbringing not to decide to run over them. If ever there was a day where I had lost hope in everything, in everyone and in life, and when I feel I have nothing to lose, I would just step on the accelerator pedal by choice instead of the brake pedal.

I have saved the video because I am pretty sure it will get taken down really soon, and to show it to people who still think all the vehicles in the world must stop for them whenever they feel like jaywalking.

I am not saying that the deceased was 100% faultless, but that does not give the van driver the right to run over her (yes, he not just knocked into her, but ran over her twice!!). This was what makes me concluded that the driver is not paying attention to the surrounding.

All drivers were taught and reminded to always look to the left, look right and look left again when turning or changing lane, as situation changes every seconds. If the van driver have did that, the worst case scenario will just be knocking the woman down, NOT running over her body (especially when the speed is quite slow - as seen from the video footage).

Back to the deceased, I'm seeing that she exhibit some level of difficulties when crossing the road, thus not able to move away fast enough from the oncoming vehicle. In reality, that is the problem we are going to face more and more, with aging population. LTA has started with implementing Silver Zone at estate with more seniors, but there are risks I am seeing.

sph-Silver-Zones.jpg

Take the above one at Whampoa Market for example, there are 3 inherent risk with the design and location of the pedestrian crossing:

1) The crossing is too near to the entrance of the slip road / turn-in point, allowing little time for driver to react if someone were to make a step onto the road (similar to the fatal accident at Taman Jurong)

2) The pedestrian crossing is not conspicuously marked out (no usual broad white stripes of zebra crossing, nor special lighting to capture driver's attention for example)

3) To make things worst, the road marking (Slow School Crossing Ahead) might lead to driver keeping a look out for the crossing further up, instead of this one right in front of them!

So my advice to all drivers: It worth to pay extra attention on the road, and NEVER insist on your right. Once you injured or killed someone, guilt will follow you through the rest of your lives.

• Praise 8

Turbocharged

Yes, the van driver has to shoulder a big part of the responsibility for not keeping a proper lookout, but if the pedestrian had CHOSEN NOT to cross the road at that instance whereby she put herself in direct risk and path of the van, should would not have lost her life.

I am very sure for those who drive often enough to be able to see clearly that the pedestrian was EXPECTING the van to have seen her and give way to her. And I am very sure we meet such pedestrians all the time. Cyclists and PMD riders have joined in the party of having this mentality.

I just wished these road users stop having such expectations, because the video shows a classic example whereby the expectation was not met. It cannot be expected that all drivers will be able to notice and stop safely for all such road users. And what if the drivers were distracted by gadgets or people in their vehicles, or simple just not alert or awake?

Whenever I come across such road users, after the initial anger, I always tell myself that these people were lucky to have met me that day. Someone like me who was not distracted at that particular instance and had a good upbringing not to decide to run over them. If ever there was a day where I had lost hope in everything, in everyone and in life, and when I feel I have nothing to lose, I would just step on the accelerator pedal by choice instead of the brake pedal.

I have saved the video because I am pretty sure it will get taken down really soon, and to show it to people who still think all the vehicles in the world must stop for them whenever they feel like jaywalking.

Relax bro, due to aging populations...we will be seeing more n more elderly pedestrians crossing road. They are slow and less awareness. We just hv to be more alert and patience when driving.

Btw, I just wonder how many drivers can be like me...don’t even hv a hp holder in my car! I keep my hp in the armrest box when I drive. Sounds quite amazing in today’s world hor? Haha...

• Praise 2

Bloody van driver, eye NOT on the road!!! [furious][furious] 1 life lost :a-rip:

54-year-old woman dies in van accident; driver arrested

SINGAPORE - A 54-year-old woman died after an accident involving a van in Taman Jurong on Thursday (Aug 15) afternoon.

Police said they were alerted to the incident at the junction of Ho Ching Road and Corporation Road around 3.30pm.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. It is not clear how the accident occurred.

The 33-year-old van driver was arrested by the police for causing death by a negligent act, and investigations are ongoing.

I gotta ask: were the reflections from all the crap (yellow tissue box, xdd toy) on the dash contributory to the driver's distraction? The brain tends to filter out constant stimuli, which means that getting habituated to all the rubbish could've slowed recognition/reaction to the jaywalker.

Modern car dashes tend to be black or at least dull coloured for a good reason. If you put colourful or reflective stuff on your dash or even hang distracting dangly stuff from your rear view mirror, you are a prize idiot, in my opinion.

• Praise 4

That is highly likely..

But in Singapore, whereby drivers are expected to have Superman and Spidey senses, to be able to spot and detect all kinds of surprises coming from any possible direction, at any possible time, at any possible speed, such as cyclists and PMD riders out from nowhere at lightning speed, falling trees, speeding motorcycles out of nowhere when having turned the turn back to check blind spot before changing lanes, cargo falling off trucks, people jumping off overhead bridges onto the road and traffic below etc, AND STILL EXPECTED to have reflexes of The Flash, the video will not absolve the van driver of responsibility at all.

Its also scary that the van driver failed to stop even after seconds hitting the aunty where she was probably ran over.

• Praise 1

I am not saying that the deceased was 100% faultless, but that does not give the van driver the right to run over her (yes, he not just knocked into her, but ran over her twice!!). This was what makes me concluded that the driver is not paying attention to the surrounding.

All drivers were taught and reminded to always look to the left, look right and look left again when turning or changing lane, as situation changes every seconds. If the van driver have did that, the worst case scenario will just be knocking the woman down, NOT running over her body (especially when the speed is quite slow - as seen from the video footage).

Back to the deceased, I'm seeing that she exhibit some level of difficulties when crossing the road, thus not able to move away fast enough from the oncoming vehicle. In reality, that is the problem we are going to face more and more, with aging population. LTA has started with implementing Silver Zone at estate with more seniors, but there are risks I am seeing.

sph-Silver-Zones.jpg

Take the above one at Whampoa Market for example, there are 3 inherent risk with the design and location of the pedestrian crossing:

1) The crossing is too near to the entrance of the slip road / turn-in point, allowing little time for driver to react if someone were to make a step onto the road (similar to the fatal accident at Taman Jurong)

2) The pedestrian crossing is not conspicuously marked out (no usual broad white stripes of zebra crossing, nor special lighting to capture driver's attention for example)

3) To make things worst, the road marking (Slow School Crossing Ahead) might lead to driver keeping a look out for the crossing further up, instead of this one right in front of them!

So my advice to all drivers: It worth to pay extra attention on the road, and NEVER insist on your right. Once you injured or killed someone, guilt will follow you through the rest of your lives.

One point I want to share, while silver zone is good, for an old age to walk the extra steps to a silver zone can be challenging. I am not advocating them to take short cut like this auntie but we are not at their age to understand their problem. The other day I saw a lady who was trying to help her very frail mother to take escalator, two of them were there trying for a while but the old lady simply dared not to make her first step onto the escalator. So I approached the auntie and suggested her to bring her mother to take a lift instead, she said her mother had difficulties walking to the lift !!! And next she asked me to assist her mother to get onto the escalator, I told her I was more than happy to help but I was not experienced in handling old folks like her mother, in my mind I was think what if she falls, or if I lifted her too hard and broke her bone etc, but I told myself, hack, just help and pray, thank god I managed to assist her on and off the escalator. My point is at times these old folks may seem taking short cut but let's be understanding and be patience with them, some might be simply lazy but some do have their own challenges. As the society is getting more aging population, we need to adjust our driving behaviour to cater for this group of population, and I will be one of them in due course, not sure about the rest. Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 4

Bloody van driver, eye NOT on the road!!! [furious]  [furious] 1 life lost :a-rip:

SINGAPORE - A 54-year-old woman died after an accident involving a van in Taman Jurong on Thursday (Aug 15) afternoon.

Police said they were alerted to the incident at the junction of Ho Ching Road and Corporation Road around 3.30pm.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. It is not clear how the accident occurred.

The 33-year-old van driver was arrested by the police for causing death by a negligent act, and investigations are ongoing.

He could be looking at the small screen!

• Praise 1

Many motorists when turning out from this kind of road. Their focus is usually on the oncoming traffic to the right. Van driver should have check left/right before turning out and not turn while looking right.

When crossing this kind of road it is safer to cross before the junction (right side of the van). Many non license holders don’t know the danger.

agreed. never a good idea to cross the road at junctions. drivers are busy looking around for traffic and may not anticipate a moving pedestrian. 

• Praise 5

Many motorists when turning out from this kind of road. Their focus is usually on the oncoming traffic to the right. Van driver should have check left/right before turning out and not turn while looking right.

When crossing this kind of road it is safer to cross before the junction (right side of the van). Many non license holders don’t know the danger.

The arrow is for both left and right turn. There is no crossing in view in the picture! There is a white line fr the traffic (van) to stop!

• Praise 1

agreed. never a good idea to cross the road at junctions. drivers are busy looking around for traffic and may not anticipate a moving pedestrian.

Only we drivers understand the danger of crossing at such locations , but how to educate those who do not drive ?
  • Praise 4

It is fortunate to have you who claimed to have good upbringing to keep our roads safe for pedestrians. However, I feel rather perturbed by the following sentence! will you know when are you going to feel that "you have nothing to lose"? [confused]

If that happens, my advice to you is: Please don't drive, because it is likely you are going to be a killer!

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 1

sph-Silver-Zones.jpg

Both Redhill market and Commonwealth Crescent market have silver zones, but I still see a lot of able-bodied pedestrians want to short cut and walk outside the green barriers to cross the road.

At the end of the day, design can only do so much, if the pedestrian does not have road and safety sense, then really boh pian. 

Only we drivers understand the danger of crossing at such locations , but how to educate those who do not drive ?

guess public education and good ole common sense is lacking these days.

Always on hindsight, another preventable accident.

1. Pls stop at STOP Line. Only max 10 seconds to start again. I know, some bros will say 10 seconds! Can reach airport from Jurong man.

• Praise 8

Bloody van driver, eye NOT on the road!!! [furious]  [furious] 1 life lost :a-rip:

It took about 6 seconds to stop after the first impact. It is likely that the rear wheel  had rolled over her which could be the fatal hit!

RIP, Aunty!

RIP for grandma, but this is what happen (happened to me once, luckily accident was avoided but i shyt my pants)

A-pillar-blind-spots.jpg

Edit: On second note, i checked a few times and i suspect the person never looked on left side as lady was in middle of screen and not on the edge (but we are looking from camera view and person prospect could be different, just saying).

Edited by commonjunks

Always on hindsight, another preventable accident.

1. Pls stop at STOP Line. Only max 10 seconds to start again. I know, some bros will say 10 seconds! Can reach airport from Jurong man.

Unfortunately standing at one place for 10 seconds will not help if a person enter in your PILLAR A blind spot in 8th second, Only way you can avoid this is by moving your body back/forth (of course also move your head as well [smash] ) to see if anything behind your pillar blind spot. Be safe.

How true but at the very least, starting from 0km/hr may mean lesser impact compared to 30-50km/hr especially if acceleration already intended.

Defensive driving basically prempts possible or unexpected scenarios. It helps but gets overruled when time's up for that individual.

Thanks for sharing.

Safe ride n good weekend.

Cheers

• Praise 1

Relax bro, due to aging populations...we will be seeing more n more elderly pedestrians crossing road. They are slow and less awareness. We just hv to be more alert and patience when driving.

Btw, I just wonder how many drivers can be like me...donât even hv a hp holder in my car! I keep my hp in the armrest box when I drive. Sounds quite amazing in todayâs world hor? Haha...

Me. Me too, do not have a hp holder in my car. It's always in the cup holder, away from sight, connected to blue teeth for phone calls...

And just for the record, my phone is in my pocket while I am walking. Phone not in hand, eyes on where I am walking and not on the phone.

Videos/hard evidence like this..

But of course, there will be people who even after seeing clips like these will still think that it was totally the van driver's fault. There will be pedestrians who will always insist drivers must keep a look out and slow down for them.

Just like a dogfight between and car and motorcycle, who ultimately wins and loses, really?

↡ Advertisement