Singapore Reckless Drivers Thread VII

RadX

Turbocharged
44 minutes ago, Neko said:

My point is, cam car is already "overtaking" all the vehicles on 2nd lane and probably doing at least 80kph plus (>10kph above speed limit). Unless it is an emergency vehicle (ambulance, fire engine, police car, etc), I am not obligated to filter left. 

U are obligated to your own safety....U are obligated to be more considerate. It’s not abt who’s right or who’s wrong but who’s a better person and who’s smarter.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Just when you guys discussing about road hogging vs tailgating.. I want to share this video.. No matter what tailgate is worst of all.. Coz it practically leave no reaction time should front suddenly need to do e brake.. Worst is tailgating plus speeding very fast. Road hogging is irritating, however it is not as dangerous as tailgating (although still quite dangerous to road hog in fast flowing traffic). 

So yeah.. This is a reminder.. If anything drive safe.. 

• Praise 2

26 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Just when you guys discussing about road hogging vs tailgating.. I want to share this video.. No matter what tailgate is worst of all.. Coz it practically leave no reaction time should front suddenly need to do e brake.. Worst is tailgating plus speeding very fast. Road hogging is irritating, however it is not as dangerous as tailgating (although still quite dangerous to road hog in fast flowing traffic). 

So yeah.. This is a reminder.. If anything drive safe.. 

I've driven along this street!

Don't go out in Miami at night .... Fast and Furious takes on a new meaning... 

Versace was shot not too far south of this area.. 

• Praise 2

11 hours ago, Dark said:

Bottom line is as a pedestrian we have the natural instinct to give way when we know someone is trying to pass even though there is no written rule.

On the road where manoeuvrability is not as high, there are clear rules to say overtake on the right (for right-hand drive) for good reasons so that faster vehicles are consistently on the right.

But yet the road hog mentality is why must I give way.

I've seen hoggers who travel on the fast lane at the same speed as the adjacent lane but still refuse to give way after given enough time to overtake and filter in.

Maybe there is not enough awareness or the 100k metal shell makes them behave less humanly?

For jogging, I don't see the need for the pedestrian to avoid me by moving left/right, just because a person in front of me. I will avoid the pedestrian. Reason is because there is no pedestrian rule on pavements. We do have one - keep left. So if I am face to face with a pedestrian, we are good. If the pedestrian is ahead of me, I overtake on the right. Same as for vehicles on highways. Problem is that we have pedestrians who are programmed to walk on the right (thing of some citizens of other countries)

As one driving in lane 2 frequently unless I am about 1-2km from exiting, I have seen plenty of drivers on lane 1 at other times. I do overtake on the right when it is safe. And I do signal when moving to lane 1. I would like to see more drivers do that  whenever they change lanes. This makes for a safer ride for everyone especially for motorcyclist.

Yes, I have seen  fast and slow cars staying around the speed limit for miles on end. I cannot say that they are road-hogging because they are not that slow compared to the expected allowed highway speed

Speeding cars on lane 1 who are not overtaking (i.e. moving from lane 2 to lane 1 and then back to lane 2) - why don't they move to lane 2 after overtaking? 

Yes, I have seen the same things as you and agree that those behaviours making motoring really stressful. Lets all treat fellow motorists with some courtesy and it can go a long way to making our journeys more pleasant.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Tohto said:

When other car is going faster even they are speeding, just give way when there is opportunity.  Enforcement of speeding is by TP, not the car in front. 

Who knows there might be a situation that the driver behind is a doctor rushing to save a life.

Of course  I am not saying the EVO driver is doing right. 

I fully support allowing doctors on wheels to have beacons to put on their car roofs to warn other vehicles to keep clear. Or maybe let ambulances equipped with multi flashing lights attend to the patients urgently.

• Praise 1

If I was in the situation of the camera car travelling in the 1st lane, and my speed differential to the 2nd lane is high (say +20kph) and a faster car comes up behind me, even if I intended to give him way, I would need to find a suitably large gap to perform the move-over maneuver. 

Someone pointed out there was a 4 second gap but that's what the dashcam shows and people have the luxury of (over)analyzing it after the fact but if you're driving you're checking your mirrors and also looking for a gap you could speed-match and slot into. 

It is obviously not clear if the camera car did indicate left turn signal that it acknowledged the Evo coming up - I always do. It tells the guy behind that I know you're there, give me time to safely move over. 

That's the problem with motorists these days, they don't use their indicators enough.

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, Neko said:

My point is, cam car is already "overtaking" all the vehicles on 2nd lane and probably doing at least 80kph plus (>10kph above speed limit). Unless it is an emergency vehicle (ambulance, fire engine, police car, etc), I am not obligated to filter left. 

Your non-obligation urges me to form an opinion that you are a self-centred person. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

30 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

If I was in the situation of the camera car travelling in the 1st lane, and my speed differential to the 2nd lane is high (say +20kph) and a faster car comes up behind me, even if I intended to give him way, I would need to find a suitably large gap to perform the move-over maneuver. 

Someone pointed out there was a 4 second gap but that's what the dashcam shows and people have the luxury of (over)analyzing it after the fact but if you're driving you're checking your mirrors and also looking for a gap you could speed-match and slot into. 

It is obviously not clear if the camera car did indicate left turn signal that it acknowledged the Evo coming up - I always do. It tells the guy behind that I know you're there, give me time to safely move over. 

That's the problem with motorists these days, they don't use their indicators enough.

Whilst I agree in principle I think it is impossible to set a speed differential of 20kph.

Could you tell the diff in speed diferential of 15kph and 25 kph.  Doubt it.

But we all can see a car coming in the mirror which is going sufficiently faster than we are so that we should pull over.

• Praise 2

12 hours ago, Dark said:

Bottom line is as a pedestrian we have the natural instinct to give way when we know someone is trying to pass even though there is no written rule.

On the road where manoeuvrability is not as high, there are clear rules to say overtake on the right (for right-hand drive) for good reasons so that faster vehicles are consistently on the right.

But yet the road hog mentality is why must I give way.

I've seen hoggers who travel on the fast lane at the same speed as the adjacent lane but still refuse to give way after given enough time to overtake and filter in.

Maybe there is not enough awareness or the 100k metal shell makes them behave less humanly?

In my opinion, it could be that some such drivers do not have much situation awareness and therefore are not aware they are causing the planet to turn more slowly. 

There could be others who feel that they are assisting in enforcing the law, and they slow down the turning of the planet also.

And of course, there are those who feels they are not obligated to give way.

• Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Neutrino said:

Whilst I agree in principle I think it is impossible to set a speed differential of 20kph.

Could you tell the diff in speed diferential of 15kph and 25 kph.  Doubt it.

But we all can see a car coming in the mirror which is going sufficiently faster than we are so that we should pull over.

Speed differential is between me and the 2nd lane.

3 hours ago, Neko said:

So in this recent EVO accident, I observed that the cam car is already overtaking many vehicles on the 2nd and 3rd lane. Speed limit is 70kph and I estimate the cam car should already be doing at least 80 to 90kph. Under such circumstances, when I am already "overtaking", am I still considered "road hogging"? And if the 2nd lane is already full of vehicles going at speed limit and while I am "overtaking" on first lane at slightly above speed limit and a joker like this EVO come tailgating me, what am I supposed to do? I can't filter left as 2nd lane is full, so I speed up some more and risk getting summons or losing control of my car and putting my family in my car at risk? Otherwise everyone here would condemn me as a "road hogger". 

Furthermore, for the EVO to need to slam brakes until like that and lost control, he is likely doing way above 90kph, probably around 110kph at least (on a 70kph limit road). He is really asking for it. 

You could, COULD, just flick your left signal to show that you are trying to filter left on the next available opportunity to do so. This would greatly reduce the chances of the car behind you to undertake. 

This was what I have experienced so far on NSE and I would readily give way to cars faster than mine, even though I am already travelling higher than the speed limit. No questions asked.

And most Malaysian drivers do give way to me when I drive up behind them at a higher speed. Those few that don't, probably just feel they are not obligated to do so. 

• Praise 5

2 minutes ago, Ricky_doodle said:

You could, COULD, just flick your left signal to show that you are trying to filter left on the next available opportunity to do so. This would greatly reduce the chances of the car behind you to undertake. 

This was what I have experienced so far on NSE and I would readily give way to cars faster than mine, even though I am already travelling higher than the speed limit. No questions asked.

And most Malaysian drivers do give way to me when I drive up behind them at a higher speed. Those few that don't, probably just feel they are not obligated to do so. 

Exactly, with a click of the signal to show intention to filter left, driver behind normally will wait. 

Basically boleh land driving culture is definitely much better than many driver here. There are aggressive at time, but they do keep left when faster car come from behind no matters what type of road.

Like I mention in my earlier post, many driver here already forget that their car is equipped with something call a signal indicator.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

15 minutes ago, Ricky_doodle said:

No matter what be it road hogging or speeding or tailgating. Most important thing is to drive safe, dont let ego or moment of foolishness make you become a very dangerous driver and met into accident. Worst is met into accident and there is injuries or fatal and then regret the action.. By then it is too late.. So yeah.. I know its irritating.. But driving need to have patient.. For those who tailgate.. Maybe can start thinking in the head.. If I continue tailgate and front car suddenly jam brake how? Then hopefully it will sink in to the head and open up distance a little bit more.. For speeders.. Maybe can take a step back and think... What's in a rush? At most only 1 or 2 minutes difference.. And for road hoggers.. Maybe could think in.. Okay I know I drive slow.. But 1st lane is for emergency vehicles, I cannot be so selfish.. I better go to 2nd lane when opportunity arise.. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

41 minutes ago, Ricky_doodle said:

Your non-obligation urges me to form an opinion that you are a self-centred person. 

I think you’re right. Had this conversation with a friend at a CNY gathering.

Was just commenting that let us be nice and let those going faster be on their way.

his reply was “why should I be nice? I must make way just to let him go faster? Why don’t he slow down instead and drive safer?”

his character is like that. Self centred, opinionated, a “D” (dominant) character in the DISC profiling and everything he must get his way.

• Praise 2
  • Angry 3

I went out for a drive to recharge my batteries (both automotive and psychological). 

Within a span of a minute I managed to capture two examples that illustrate my notion of what's proper etiquette and what's not. 

The first, as soon as I had merged and filtered right onto PIE, a road hog who forced me to undertake (I signalled throughout).

Almost immediately thereafter, I saw a bike bearing down quickly on me. I immediately yielded (again with my intentions signalled in advance). 

Please note that I could have adopted the mentality that I'm going at the limit (or possibly even higher). And it's a bike, he can "jolly well" lane split to get around me. But none of these thoughts entered my head at the time. All I saw was "faster vehicle, move over".

By no means am I claiming to be a perfect driver. I'm no saint. But I think many people in this thread, in Singapore, and indeed in the wide world, have a very wrong idea about proper driving etiquette. 

The ones who mentioned that the give way rule only applies to expressways because normal roads have right turns - I see where you're coming from. But I still disagree. Giving way to faster traffic where feasible should be etiquette no matter what road one is on. I've seen many vehicles hogging the right lane for hundreds of meters, please don't tell me they're all turning right kilometers up ahead?! And if you really have to turn right soon and it's not practical (or you lack the confidence to filter in again) to yield, at least have the courtesy to signal right immediately, so at least the quicker vehicle behind you can plan what to do - stay behind you till the next turn or undertake you. Don't keep people guessing. 

Above all, realise this - if you think traffic behind you is behind self-entitled for wanting to go faster than whatever arbitrary speed you deem is safe, *you* are being the more self-entitled one by far. Because forcing someone to undertake at speed is fundamentally dangerous (not to mention illegal in saner countries with more educated and polite motorists). The accident with the Evo exemplified that amply. Sure, the Evo driver couldn't control his car, but that doesn't in any way absolve the road hog's moral culpability in my view.

OK, I've said my piece. Flame on.😁

• Praise 18

17 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

I think you’re right. Had this conversation with a friend at a CNY gathering.

Was just commenting that let us be nice and let those going faster be on their way.

his reply was “why should I be nice? I must make way just to let him go faster? Why don’t he slow down instead and drive safer?”

his character is like that. Self centred, opinionated, a “D” (dominant) character in the DISC profiling and everything he must get his way.

Don't take the same lift with him.... 

• Haha! 3

7 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I went out for a drive to recharge my batteries (both automotive and psychological). 

Within a span of a minute I managed to capture two examples that illustrate my notion of what's proper etiquette and what's not. 

The first, as soon as I had merged and filtered right onto PIE, a road hog who forced me to undertake (I signalled throughout).

Stop posting useless post like this...

Every time I hear your engine, I can't focus on the silly video... brum brum... :D
It's like my teacher back in school.. every time Meiko Tan talks, I can't  focus on what she's saying... the tone of her voice just captivates me... 

• Haha! 6

1 minute ago, therock said:

Stop posting useless post like this...

Every time I hear your engine, I can't focus on the silly video... brum brum... :D
It's like my teacher back in school.. every time Meiko Tan talks, I can't  focus on what she's saying... the tone of her voice just captivates me... 

Miiko Tan from RI? I remember those jugs well. 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1