Singapore Reckless Drivers Thread VII

RadX

3 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Miiko Tan from RI? I remember those jugs well. 😂

For some reason, I can't edit this. So I'll just put this here. Fond mammaries, man. I mean, fond memories. 😁 @therock

1 minute ago, Theoldjaffa said:

I’ve always went for the jugular 😛

Yes, we all wanted to be in a conjugal posture with her posterior. OK, her anterior.😁

18 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I went out for a drive to recharge my batteries (both automotive and psychological). 

Within a span of a minute I managed to capture two examples that illustrate my notion of what's proper etiquette and what's not. 

The first, as soon as I had merged and filtered right onto PIE, a road hog who forced me to undertake (I signalled throughout).

Almost immediately thereafter, I saw a bike bearing down quickly on me. I immediately yielded (again with my intentions signalled in advance). 

Please note that I could have adopted the mentality that I'm going at the limit (or possibly even higher). And it's a bike, he can "jolly well" lane split to get around me. But none of these thoughts entered my head at the time. All I saw was "faster vehicle, move over".

By no means am I claiming to be a perfect driver. I'm no saint. But I think many people in this thread, in Singapore, and indeed in the wide world, have a very wrong idea about proper driving etiquette. 

The ones who mentioned that the give way rule only applies to expressways because normal roads have right turns - I see where you're coming from. But I still disagree. Giving way to faster traffic where feasible should be etiquette no matter what road one is on. I've seen many vehicles hogging the right lane for hundreds of meters, please don't tell me they're all turning right kilometers up ahead?! And if you really have to turn right soon and it's not practical (or you lack the confidence to filter in again) to yield, at least have the courtesy to signal right immediately, so at least the quicker vehicle behind you can plan what to do - stay behind you till the next turn or undertake you. Don't keep people guessing. 

Above all, realise this - if you think traffic behind you is behind self-entitled for wanting to go faster than whatever arbitrary speed you deem is safe, *you* are being the more self-entitled one by far. Because forcing someone to undertake at speed is fundamentally dangerous (not to mention illegal in saner countries with more educated and polite motorists). The accident with the Evo exemplified that amply. Sure, the Evo driver couldn't control his car, but that doesn't in any way absolve the road hog's moral culpability in my view.

OK, I've said my piece. Flame on.😁

I was just waiting for you to post your thoughts and finally here it is.

with a bonus soundtrack 😝

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

44 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I went out for a drive to recharge my batteries (both automotive and psychological). 

Within a span of a minute I managed to capture two examples that illustrate my notion of what's proper etiquette and what's not. 

The first, as soon as I had merged and filtered right onto PIE, a road hog who forced me to undertake (I signalled throughout).

Almost immediately thereafter, I saw a bike bearing down quickly on me. I immediately yielded (again with my intentions signalled in advance). 

Please note that I could have adopted the mentality that I'm going at the limit (or possibly even higher). And it's a bike, he can "jolly well" lane split to get around me. But none of these thoughts entered my head at the time. All I saw was "faster vehicle, move over".

By no means am I claiming to be a perfect driver. I'm no saint. But I think many people in this thread, in Singapore, and indeed in the wide world, have a very wrong idea about proper driving etiquette. 

The ones who mentioned that the give way rule only applies to expressways because normal roads have right turns - I see where you're coming from. But I still disagree. Giving way to faster traffic where feasible should be etiquette no matter what road one is on. I've seen many vehicles hogging the right lane for hundreds of meters, please don't tell me they're all turning right kilometers up ahead?! And if you really have to turn right soon and it's not practical (or you lack the confidence to filter in again) to yield, at least have the courtesy to signal right immediately, so at least the quicker vehicle behind you can plan what to do - stay behind you till the next turn or undertake you. Don't keep people guessing. 

Above all, realise this - if you think traffic behind you is behind self-entitled for wanting to go faster than whatever arbitrary speed you deem is safe, *you* are being the more self-entitled one by far. Because forcing someone to undertake at speed is fundamentally dangerous (not to mention illegal in saner countries with more educated and polite motorists). The accident with the Evo exemplified that amply. Sure, the Evo driver couldn't control his car, but that doesn't in any way absolve the road hog's moral culpability in my view.

Usually I see super cars like yours, I will siam to let them overtake. 

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Theoldjaffa said:

I think you’re right. Had this conversation with a friend at a CNY gathering.

Was just commenting that let us be nice and let those going faster be on their way.

his reply was “why should I be nice? I must make way just to let him go faster? Why don’t he slow down instead and drive safer?”

his character is like that. Self centred, opinionated, a “D” (dominant) character in the DISC profiling and everything he must get his way.

I actually have nothing against self-centred people, as long as they don't affect me or anyone else. But the fact is, they always do. 

Hoggers can't care less of the frustration they cause to the drivers behind them and the long line they sometimes create. 

Smokers (many, but not all) can't care less of the second hand smoke they cause and the litter they create. That being said, I have nothing against smokers who are actually considerate enough to make the effort to walk away from crowds to have their puff and their effort to stub the butts out completely and dispose of them properly. I have something against those who are not. 

Two wheeler riders who choose ride dangerously and still expect all other road users to be able to spot them and give way to them, whilst being a hazard themselves to others, just show to me their outright sense of self-centeredness. 

My list of examples could go on, but I think suffice to support what I am trying to say. 

Not everything needs to be corrected via the law. It doesn't need to take a fine to tell you it is wrong to do something. I don't need a death sentence to tell me it is wrong to murder. It is just common sense, well at least to me. 

With that being said, I am no saint. I do speed and break traffic rules from time to time. But I constantly remind myself to face the consequences when I get caught.

But that's just me. 

• Praise 8

2 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

On the 1st video, you cut too many lanes at one go especially from lanes 3 to 2 to 1  According to driving theory, you should change lane by lane slowly.  Personally, I have seen a few near accident from this.  From the lane markings, you should be very near or have exceeded the speed limit of PIE at that stretch.

On the 2nd video, according to the driving theory and highway code, on a 3-lane carriageway, you should be only in the 1st lane for over-taking.

2 minutes ago, awhtc said:

On the 1st video, you cut too many lanes at one go especially from lanes 3 to 2 to 1  According to driving theory, you should change lane by lane slowly.  Personally, I have seen a few near accident from this.  From the lane markings, you should be very near or have exceeded the speed limit of PIE at that stretch.

On the 2nd video, according to the driving theory and highway code, on a 3-lane carriageway, you should be only in the 1st lane for over-taking.

Sigh...there's always a critic. 

• Haha! 3

3 hours ago, Ricky_doodle said:

You could, COULD, just flick your left signal to show that you are trying to filter left on the next available opportunity to do so. This would greatly reduce the chances of the car behind you to undertake. 

This was what I have experienced so far on NSE and I would readily give way to cars faster than mine, even though I am already travelling higher than the speed limit. No questions asked.

And most Malaysian drivers do give way to me when I drive up behind them at a higher speed. Those few that don't, probably just feel they are not obligated to do so. 

To be honest, staying left unless overtaking is something that has to become a habit.

Even on Sunday's mornings KPE has a lot of slow hoggers (sticking to 80/70kph) on the right most lane... The place it becomes annoying is when there are only 2 lanes in the KPE (Sims Avenue and Nicoll highway exit) where you are stuck behind slow moving vehicles on both lanes.

• Praise 3

9 minutes ago, Mrlancergtx said:

To be honest, staying left unless overtaking is something that has to become a habit.

Even on Sunday's mornings KPE has a lot of slow hoggers (sticking to 80/70kph) on the right most lane... The place it becomes annoying is when there are only 2 lanes in the KPE (Sims Avenue and Nicoll highway exit) where you are stuck behind slow moving vehicles on both lanes.

I agree, but ain't everything good and bad has to become a habit? Bad habits are easy to form and hard to kick. I have developed the bad habit of speeding and am having a tough time kicking it. Good habits are hard to form and keep, but will always provide a sense of achievement when we do.

Our roads are too dense especially during peak hours to be able to drive comfortably in lane 2. Heavy vehicles in lane 2 makes the situation worse, therefore driving in lane 1 seems the best way to go.

I just have something against those who HAVE the choice and opportunity to keep to the slower lanes when the traffic is light, but yet insist to sticking to the first lane, forcing those behind them choosing to be faster to have to undertake them. And also those who drive at speeds LOWER than the speed limit on lane 1 during peak hours. These are the times I wished I was driving something  that would easily go over them and be on my merry way. 

Oh well, someone would probably say, Hoggers VS tail-gaters.... never-ending debate..

Edited by Ricky_doodle
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

16 minutes ago, Mrlancergtx said:

Yes. I also using KPE everyday. 

At 80km/h road hogger drive at 70km/h.

At the camera zone after entrance from PIE some go as slow as 50km/h+. Very irritating.

Edited by Tohto

3 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Yes. I also using KPE everyday. 

At 80km/h road hogger drive at 70km/h.

At the camera zone after entrance from PIE some go as slow as 50km/h+. Very irritating.

Well, I believe drivers like us are seen as impatient to those who hog..

• Haha! 2

36 minutes ago, Ricky_doodle said:

These are the times I wished I was driving something  that would easily go over them and be on my merry way. 

A Tesla Cybertruck with its exo skeleton will be handy. Wish it comes in RHD at a reasonable price. 

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

Sigh...there's always a critic. 

There are many perfect drivers out there, that's why we never have accidents on the roads! 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Theoldjaffa said:

I think you’re right. Had this conversation with a friend at a CNY gathering.

Was just commenting that let us be nice and let those going faster be on their way.

his reply was “why should I be nice? I must make way just to let him go faster? Why don’t he slow down instead and drive safer?”

his character is like that. Self centred, opinionated, a “D” (dominant) character in the DISC profiling and everything he must get his way.

Have you tried pressing all the lift buttons when you take the lift with him? No need to reach his floor so fast, better to slow down and take the lift up safely 1 floor at a time.

• Haha! 6