Singapore Reckless Drivers Thread VII

RadX

The older estate have a wide kerb turning radius at the ingress and egress of 9m meaning the a vehicle can turn in and out of the driveway at centre line of road with a turning radius of more than 10.5m. Even fire engines and refuse collection trucks have no difficulty keeping in the lane. At some point in time, LTA decided that the cars are turning too fast and reduced the kerb radius to no more than 5m for housing estates (see table on page 141 of the current CP):

Code of Practice on Street Works Proposals Relating to Development Works (Version 2.0 - 3 April 2019)

For newer estates, 1% of vehicles such as fire engine, big school buses and refuse collection trucks will have no choice but to cut into the opposing lane at the ingress/egress in order to enter or exit from the driveway. This is inevitable. The remaining 99% of vehicles such as passenger cars and vans are still able to keep to their lane but are expected to slow down. The problem is some idiots driving cars and vans refuse to slow down and drive like F1 wannabes (hopeless ones at that) thus swerving into the opposing lane while turning.

If there is no approaching vehicle I guess it is not an issue (give and take) but I personally make it a habit to stay on my lane regardless of whether there is opposing traffic. Even if the opposite vehicle cut in slightly it is still not too bad as the damage is at most a side swipe. For defensive driving, I will slow down and inch forward before the stop line. However, we still need to move forward eventually to check for cross traffic and pedestrians hence it is really not practical to stop 3m or more before the stop line. Hence I lodged an official complaint against the van driver of GBF5144E, a white Toyota Hiace van belonging to Celsius Equipment Pte Ltd. Because had I not been ultra careful, there would be a serious head on collision based on the speed of the van and the huge transgression into my lane. Sometimes you give an inch and the other party take a foot. The other party needs to learn his lesson.

Edited by ktnpl
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

4 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Oops... There goes my "tax money".... 

Looks like the police car driver is quite inexperience  and also panic after the first  contact. 

• Praise 4

18 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Looks like the police car driver is quite inexperience  and also panic after the first  contact. 

Lancer also dumbfark, the police car already head out for a few sec, surely the lancer can see but decided to chiong

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

Just now, Yeshe said:

Lancer also dumbfark, the police car already head out for a few sec, surely the lancer can see but decided to chiong

I agree, some driver just simply have zero sense of defensive driving , or practice "my right" to the fullest  simply because he has the right of the way. 

• Praise 7

42 minutes ago, Vid said:

😂😂😂 Dumb

wonder who was the one who long pressed the horn ?? truck or lancer ? 

reminds me of this old video ... wave to the wrong vehicle ...

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 1

39 minutes ago, Yeshe said:

It's like miscommunication.. 

The police car think that since I am already so out and lancer already stopped. I reverse a bit so that I have space to complete the turn.

Lancer stopped in time, see this police car reverse. He thought that this police car is giving him to go 1st. So step on accelerator. 

Then police also step on accelerator. Then that it.. Langar. 

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

Seen too many accidents with "misunderstandings" at yellow boxes. This is the last straw. I think there need to be drastic changes in the law with regard to yellow box. These should no longer be under "etiquette" because Singaporeans lack etiquette. Just harshly enforced rules. 

My proposal:

When a yellow box is restricted to single lanes or only a portion of the lanes in the road, a double white line must be painted to wall off the box from thr adjacent lane to avoid people swinging wide beyond the box. Some boxes already have this, but not all. 

In a multi-lane yellow box, the stoppage of traffic on *any lane* is an absolute indication for traffic on all lanes to the right to also stop in their own lanes behind the yellow box, regardless of how freely flowing traffic was in their lanes. This is the only way to allow minor road traffic to safely utilise the full extent of the yellow box.

Traffic should resume moving on a yellow box taking its cues from the lane to the left. So traffic flow resumes left first, then middle, then right.

It shouldn't even need to be said but lane splitting traffic like idiot bikers (both on powered and foot driven devices) should respect the goddamned yellow box and not bulldoze their way through. 

If anyone gets into an accident because they violated the above rules, including a biker breaking his silly neck, they (or their estate) are fully liable. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

2 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

Police don't know how to drive properly. In fact many don't. Correct method is to get into Lane 2 first, move along Lane 2 for a short distance, when the side mirror can see Lane 1, then move into Lane 1. For those reading here, pls don't make the same mistake. 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

5 hours ago, ECONOMIC said:

Police don't know how to drive properly. In fact many don't. Correct method is to get into Lane 2 first, move along Lane 2 for a short distance, when the side mirror can see Lane 1, then move into Lane 1. For those reading here, pls don't make the same mistake. 

But there are too many yellow box is too close to traffic light junction. There are many drivers need to turn out to 1st lane to do a right or u turn. So what you suggesting is quite impossible for many yellow boxes. 

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Nothing to debate.

Vehicle with right of way go first. Mata chia included.

But then when police car already so out and blocking so many lanes. I think it is basic courtesy to just let the car blocking so many lanes to complete the turn. This is so that traffic would not be held up. Don't need to insist I am in the right. Everyone will be happy after that. 

• Praise 3

8 hours ago, ECONOMIC said:

my rule of thumb ... cannot see, don't go. inch out until can see.

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Yewheng said:

But then when police car already so out and blocking so many lanes. I think it is basic courtesy to just let the car blocking so many lanes to complete the turn. This is so that traffic would not be held up. Don't need to insist I am in the right. Everyone will be happy after that. 

Frankly I believe that mata kalang kabo and engaged the wrong gear.

That again, mata should in the least ensured that the other driver acknowledged he was going first. Basic courtesy. Basic driving ettiquete. 

Mata assumed and caused the accident.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3