Will Germany's car industry survive? | DW Documentary

inlinesix

43 minutes ago, dappercivility said:

Norway plans to go fully electric within the next 6 years, that is no small feat. Germans still seem to be coming out high performance internal combustion engine vehicles. What do you think?

German big 3 automakers are moving towards EV concurrently with high performance ICE vehicles.

Merc got EQC

BMW got i3, i8 & ix3

VAG got e-Golf & Porky Taycan

• Praise 1

Where does the battery comes from? Where does the electricity from the charging stations mostly come from? Don't get me wrong that I am anti-electric cars....

Probably as bad as current if not worse off in terms of pollution and destruction.

The German may just spring up some surprise with ICE cars that run on waste... like urine. 😅

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 5

49 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Where does the battery comes from? Where does the electricity from the charging stations mostly come from? Don't get me wrong that I am anti-electric cars....

Probably as bad as current if not worse off in terms of pollution and destruction.

The German may just spring up some surprise with ICE cars that run on waste... like urine. 😅

The video is filmed as if electric cars are nirvana.

Actually the bloody battery suck up a lot of resources to manufacture, electricity also need to generate from somewhere (like fossil fuels) and worse is that millions of old huge Li-ion battery are going to be like nuclear waste problems x1000.

ICE cars are not great, but may not be much worse than the BEVs

• Praise 8

On 9/10/2019 at 10:27 PM, Kangadrool said:

More importantly, how to contain the fire in electric cars if handphone and PMD can go kaboom.

And at the end of 10 years scrap, will there be a tax on disposal of batt ?

• Praise 4

One thing ppl forget is that fossil fuel is going to run out soon. Some alternative will have to keep cars, planes, ships going. If the car makers dont start changing now...then when? I think most car makers have some electric plan backup on standby. In the mean time it's still ICE which will dominate.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

35 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

One thing ppl forget is that fossil fuel is going to run out soon. Some alternative will have to keep cars, planes, ships going. If the car makers dont start changing now...then when? I think most car makers have some electric plan backup on standby. In the mean time it's still ICE which will dominate.

How do you determine if the batt will kill the earth due to the toxic nature of the Batt ?

One huge resistance to getting the Hybrid is the weight of the Batt as well as the tax on ownership.

Edited by Sdf4786k

38 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Electric cars are not standby. With how legislation in many other countries are going, ICEs are the standby. Not electric. 

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

How do you determine if the batt will kill the earth due to the toxic nature of the Batt ?

One huge resistance to getting the Hybrid is the weight of the Batt as well as the tax on ownership.

Whatever Man do will pollute the Earth one way or the other. It didnt bother us for so many decades why should it bother us now? Climate change? Or is it due to politics?

6 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

Electric cars are not standby. With how legislation in many other countries are going, ICEs are the standby. Not electric. 

Legislation is just one of the many factors. Like the video suggest the car maker is not going to give up 100 over years of ICE tech just like that. I think they will still go on with ICE cars in nations like Africa who has little or no such legislation on cars. So far we have seen small countries who will be making the change becos it will be easy for them to switch. For China theirs is a real pollution issue with the sudden boom of car population. For other nation it might not be a straight forward solution where tax on fuel is one of their income. They have been so dependant on this income for so many years. To many factors to look at. 

• Praise 2

They won't give up on ICE, but ICE will no longer have as much development priority moving forward. Hence not standby. 

Jag might move to all EV in the future.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/jaguar-considers-transformation-ev-only-brand

and BMW's most recently change the big boss because the previous one took focus away from developing their EV cars, cars in which the brand was actually a pioneer with their i3 and i8. But because their previous in-charge decided that Hybrid was the way to go and not full EV, they are in trouble as they don't have anything to compete with the Porsche Taycan and Mercedes EQ range.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/07/bmw-is-playing-it-safe-with-electric-cars-and-its-development-chief-makes-no-apologies-for-that/

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 2

On 9/10/2019 at 11:19 PM, t0y0ta said:

The video is filmed as if electric cars are nirvana.

Actually the bloody battery suck up a lot of resources to manufacture, electricity also need to generate from somewhere (like fossil fuels) and worse is that millions of old huge Li-ion battery are going to be like nuclear waste problems x1000.

ICE cars are not great, but may not be much worse than the BEVs

Not to mentioned scrapping every combustion car on the road with electric will be an insane carbon footprint, if there was a way to reuse the existing vehicle and swap out components that might be more a better approach (hydrogen cars?)

Just to add the waste material from harvesting rare earths for electric motors is also no joke.

Better we move everyone to public transport lol

• Praise 2

On 9/10/2019 at 10:27 PM, Kangadrool said:

then next time long road trip no need stop for petrol. make sure you and your passengers drink lots of water before setting off..

5 hours ago, Mercury1 said:

Not to mentioned scrapping every combustion car on the road with electric will be an insane carbon footprint, if there was a way to reuse the existing vehicle and swap out components that might be more a better approach (hydrogen cars?)

Just to add the waste material from harvesting rare earths for electric motors is also no joke.

Better we move everyone to public transport lol

We have been scrapping ICE car every 10 years 

On 9/10/2019 at 10:21 PM, Mockngbrd said:

If German cars cannot survive, every other car in the World is gg.  This video is outdated. 

The Audi e tron has got very good reviews. Comparable to anything tesla gets. 

↡ Advertisement