Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Thinking of going for a scenic tour at 黄山. Anyone been that done that, can share experience?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been there end of march. Very nice place. Got front and back mountain. You have to plan your timing because quite a journey up. If you want to take cable car up during peak periods could take hours queuing up. 

  • Praise 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Justdaniel said:

Been there end of march. Very nice place. Got front and back mountain. You have to plan your timing because quite a journey up. If you want to take cable car up during peak periods could take hours queuing up. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Year end should see less crowd and contemplating to book those China online 3 days tour for convenient sake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Year end should see less crowd and contemplating to book those China online 3 days tour for convenient sake. 

yes I think having a local guide would be good, at least having someone to explain the history and culture instead of ownself walk around blindly. 

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Year end should see less crowd and contemplating to book those China online 3 days tour for convenient sake. 

don’t go for those tour groups.... waste time always bring you to those tourist gift shops to earn commissions 

just book airfare and accommodation and arrange airport transfer.  thereafter at the hotel, ask the concierge to arrange a local driver (not hotel car) to bring you to the various designated attractions you want to go to.  at the attractions, there would usually be local guides for hire or just listen in on the other groups’ guide....

and no i have not been to 黄山

🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For China I usually like to take package tours to save myself the logistical hassle but I went on my own for 黄山. I have heard how package tour do 黄山 and I think it is quite bad as the experience is totally missing. A few comments:

- going by yourself is not cheaper as transport etc have to be arranged privately

- you might need to pre-arrange transport for the journey back from 黄山

- entrance fees are expensive

- accommodation on top of 黄山 is very expensive

- you don't really need a guide, plenty of guide books

- try to stay as long as possible as the weather may not cooperate. It was totally fog out during my first 2 days and I only saw the fantastic view on my third day.

- wake up early for the sunrise photography, there will be many photographers all waiting for the best spots waiting for 云海

- try to minimize your luggage and bring only absolute essential, the journey from cable-car station to hotel is a distance and you may need porters (expensive) if they are heavy

- the various treks around the peaks are quite long but it is your choice as to how much you want to trek 

IMG_1643.JPG

  • Praise 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andrewyewkc said:

For China I usually like to take package tours to save myself the logistical hassle but I went on my own for 黄山. I have heard how package tour do 黄山 and I think it is quite bad as the experience is totally missing. A few comments:

- going by yourself is not cheaper as transport etc have to be arranged privately

- you might need to pre-arrange transport for the journey back from 黄山

- entrance fees are expensive

- accommodation on top of 黄山 is very expensive

- you don't really need a guide, plenty of guide books

- try to stay as long as possible as the weather may not cooperate. It was totally fog out during my first 2 days and I only saw the fantastic view on my third day.

- wake up early for the sunrise photography, there will be many photographers all waiting for the best spots waiting for 云海

- try to minimize your luggage and bring only absolute essential, the journey from cable-car station to hotel is a distance and you may need porters (expensive) if they are heavy

- the various treks around the peaks are quite long but it is your choice as to how much you want to trek 

IMG_1643.JPG

Thanks bro andrew, really appreciate your inputs here.

 

I contacted one agency there to take charge of my whole itinery including picking and dropping off at airport/train station.

 

3 days cost around US$600/pax for a group of two. Certainly not cheap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Thanks bro andrew, really appreciate your inputs here.

 

I contacted one agency there to take charge of my whole itinery including picking and dropping off at airport/train station.

 

3 days cost around US$600/pax for a group of two. Certainly not cheap

i vaguely remember one night of hotel up there is already like $200-$300. Have a good trip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always quite scare on those popular china attraction especially when very crowded with local.

Especially those big group that announced their arrivals even before they get close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some pics taken like 13 years ago.

I still think Huangshan is the most beautiful mountain I have seen. Provided the weather is good. First trip I did not see anything....

huang01.jpg

huang02.jpg

  • Praise 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tour agency will only bring you to the foot of the mountain. The rest is up to you. You must plane whether to trek from front mountain to the back mountain or visit the back mountain. If you have problem walking long distance and trekking the mountain, I would suggest you only visit the back mountain where it is easily access by cable car. BTW there are a few cable car station and there are of different location. You need to decide where to go up and where to come down. How many nights are you going to stay in the mountain. 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Justdaniel said:

The tour agency will only bring you to the foot of the mountain. The rest is up to you. You must plane whether to trek from front mountain to the back mountain or visit the back mountain. If you have problem walking long distance and trekking the mountain, I would suggest you only visit the back mountain where it is easily access by cable car. BTW there are a few cable car station and there are of different location. You need to decide where to go up and where to come down. How many nights are you going to stay in the mountain. 

1. Wow did not not it's so complicated with different cable car tower. Thanks for alerting. Basically I have no issue to walk, though not exactly gonna trek. My plan is to stay 3 days 2 nights at 黄山。

2. The local tour is too exorbitant for my liking. Most probably will take a train from 杭州 to 黄山 and ask the hotel if there is any hired drivers that I can hire . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bro, some pictures here from 2 years ago:

Huangshan

We went by the Southern entrance, and it was really crowded even early in the morning.  Make sure you allocate time to queue.

Don't miss the town itself - the famous old street has buildings preserved from hundreds of years ago, and walking down the street feels like walking into a wuxia set.

There's a stone plaque at the ticketing counter with a rough map.  You can view it here: 

 

ab1VNIu.jpg

Edited by Nostalgia
  • Praise 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hamburger said:

1. Wow did not not it's so complicated with different cable car tower. Thanks for alerting. Basically I have no issue to walk, though not exactly gonna trek. My plan is to stay 3 days 2 nights at 黄山。

2. The local tour is too exorbitant for my liking. Most probably will take a train from 杭州 to 黄山 and ask the hotel if there is any hired drivers that I can hire . 

Only their specific buses are allow to go up the mountain. You have to go to designated  bus interchange and take the bus up the mountain.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Justdaniel said:

Only their specific buses are allow to go up the mountain. You have to go to designated  bus interchange and take the bus up the mountain.

Roger that. Air flight and all accommodation booked.

 

Left with only train tix as advance booking is not so early.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wah....i wanna go to 峨眉山 to look for 周芷若 xmm.  will bring 屠龙刀.

🤣

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Enye said:

wah....i wanna go to 峨眉山 to look for 周芷若 xmm.  will bring 屠龙刀.

🤣

 

she must be quite old now, you prefer old ah ma?  [laugh]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Roger that. Air flight and all accommodation booked.

 

Left with only train tix as advance booking is not so early.

Use ctrip to book.  

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

thamks bro david for the headsup. shall use ctrip to book.

 

You need to take the confirmation email to ticketing counter to collect the actual ticket.

It's best to collect it 1 day earlier.  Rem to bring along passport of all person named on the ticket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

You need to take the confirmation email to ticketing counter to collect the actual ticket.

It's best to collect it 1 day earlier.  Rem to bring along passport of all person named on the ticket.

Don't think its possible to collect one day earlier as I would head straight to the train station once I touched down the Hangzhou intl airport. 

 

My understanding is the railway station is within the airport or next to it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was there 14 years ago. Nice scene but must prepare to walk a lot. You can also visit 宏村, which is close to the mountain

IMG_0228.thumb.JPG.4406fc89cd92bdc374d26145d030874b.JPG

See the walking path, no good for acrophobia like me😂

IMG_0256.thumb.JPG.47e45f8013ad7810f0bb5dd1b40cc416.JPG

 

宏村

IMG_0294.thumb.JPG.98e13634d3b7514686962e94ece51425.JPG

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Somewhat1975 said:

I was there 14 years ago. Nice scene but must prepare to walk a lot. You can also visit 宏村, which is close to the mountain

IMG_0228.thumb.JPG.4406fc89cd92bdc374d26145d030874b.JPG

See the walking path, no good for acrophobia like me😂

IMG_0256.thumb.JPG.47e45f8013ad7810f0bb5dd1b40cc416.JPG

 

宏村

IMG_0294.thumb.JPG.98e13634d3b7514686962e94ece51425.JPG

Excuse bro, the 2nd pic is that a trekking path or normal one that everyone would walk??

 

I really really scare of height....😲

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Don't think its possible to collect one day earlier as I would head straight to the train station once I touched down the Hangzhou intl airport. 

 

My understanding is the railway station is within the airport or next to it. 

 

 

Based on my search, international airport is quite a distance from HangZhou East Station (to Huangshan North).

Put enough buffer for travelling time, ticket collection and security check.

Train station got security check and it could be long.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Excuse bro, the 2nd pic is that a trekking path or normal one that everyone would walk??

 

I really really scare of height....😲

normal one. got staircase one. just like this image from the web. 

 

3048393432336e594544.jpg

 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×