1st SG U18 to rank top in ITTF ranking

Tianmo

11 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

? no need finish school first meh. Most kids school until 19+ nowadays.

If you look at it from another angle, its like if you need to eat 1000 cal in day, eating it at 7am or 7pm is the same. [laugh]

It is not mandatory to do "A" levels  right after "O", and there is no rule that must finish diploma by 20 years old mah. Is like  

"O"---"A" ---NS, age done 21.

"O"---NS---"A", age done also 21. 

Is where you put which event first, and what plans there are along the line. The route that many ppl took may or may not be the correct route, and may or may not suit a person or the current situation. 

If the boy do NS at 17 and ORD at 19, doing A levels or diploma at 20 is not a big gap from the main stream ppl ( like some guys retain or retain and do N levels will end up the same age) , but there will be no  break in between any more after that. 

Those who defer until pass 26, by the time they are done with NS, are near 30, peak also close to over liao. So they have to rush to make it before 26. 

But thats how I look at it, again I am the demon, so my thoughts can be quite different. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement

25 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

? no need finish school first meh. Most kids school until 19+ nowadays.

I think now they changed the rule again. For continuing of studies I think can defer until near 26. 

My son has a few ITE club mates who are 17-18 this year, and they are deferring NS to do full time diplomas. By the time they go NS I think will be like 22-23 yrs old liao...

Last time I think cannot like that..:blink:

28 minutes ago, Beregond said:

if u are chasing sport, really national or world standard, still need study meh .

every thing push behind liao. 

thats why to be a sportman /woman parents support is the most critical issue.

Study I think still need to study lah, but just taking a different route and time line to complete the schools.

Like just rearranging the format, and it  will not make a different for uni admission which ever way it takes, but will make training easier.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

If you look at it from another angle, its like if you need to eat 1000 cal in day, eating it at 7am or 7pm is the same. [laugh]

It is not mandatory to do "A" levels  right after "O", and there is no rule that must finish diploma by 20 years old mah. Is like  

"O"---"A" ---NS, age done 21.

"O"---NS---"A", age done also 21. 

Is where you put which event first, and what plans there are along the line. The route that many ppl took may or may not be the correct route, and may or may not suit a person or the current situation. 

If the boy do NS at 17 and ORD at 19, doing A levels or diploma at 20 is not a big gap from the main stream ppl ( like some guys retain or retain and do N levels will end up the same age) , but there will be no  break in between any more after that. 

Those who defer until pass 26, by the time they are done with NS, are near 30, peak also close to over liao. So they have to rush to make it before 26. 

But thats how I look at it, again I am the demon, so my thoughts can be quite different. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Hmm I'm not sure whether govt sponsorship for poly or tertiary level works the same if u go via a different route (as opposed to the common route). But i guess u know a lot more than me about this. Just that last time got one of my CA, she wanted to go poly when she was like 19-20 years old, but cannot get tertiary funding anymore already (her parents stopped her schooling after sec school and she did lasalle before that).

• Praise 1

11 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Study I think still need to study lah, but just taking a different route and time line to complete the schools.

Like just rearranging the format, and it  will not make a different for uni admission which ever way it takes, but will make training easier.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

ya, we can delay our career and study, but sport cannot delay.

last time me and my bro also sec school level, too bad super hard to advance.

i start my career very  late,  no issue at all

if really got potential in sport, cannot wait 1. 

• Praise 2

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Hmm I'm not sure whether govt sponsorship for poly or tertiary level works the same if u go via a different route (as opposed to the common route). But i guess u know a lot more than me about this. Just that last time got one of my CA, she wanted to go poly when she was like 19-20 years old, but cannot get tertiary funding anymore already (her parents stopped her schooling after sec school and she did lasalle before that).

I think there is a age limit to do A levels after O levels, but it is definitely more than a 2 years gap. 

For polytechnic diplomas I think no issue, as long as SG citizen we can get the same subsidy as long as doing the full time course.  

and like I mentioned, which ever route we take, the time frame to uni is the same, still can only go uni after NS. 

Funding I guess very much depend on family thinking lor. In your CA case, mayb the lasalle route was what cause the funding from her parents to stop her from going to poly. Whereas in a case of doing A/dip first vs doing NS first, the funds are budgeted for anyway, which ever route it goes, it will eventually end up in uni at the same age, using the same amount of money and same amount of time. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

26 minutes ago, Beregond said:

ya, we can delay our career and study, but sport cannot delay.

last time me and my bro also sec school level, too bad super hard to advance.

i start my career very  late,  no issue at all

if really got potential in sport, cannot wait 1. 

yah, sports lifespan actually quite short, so the golden time frame is quite important. 

After the peak at young age, can only wait for Masters liao...[:p][laugh][laugh]

Bro, start training again, next year go take part in SG Masters lah!!! [thumbsup]^_^

4 hours ago, Tianmo said:

He is in track..^_^[laugh][laugh]

Good to hear he is a budding sportsman n I wish him success n hope to read about his successes soon. U r a supportive parent so that’s a good start n I’m sure your enthusiasm with his sport will help in his strive for sporting excellence, good luck

• Praise 5

30 minutes ago, Spring said:

Good to hear he is a budding sportsman n I wish him success n hope to read about his successes soon. U r a supportive parent so that’s a good start n I’m sure your enthusiasm with his sport will help in his strive for sporting excellence, good luck

Thank you many many bro!!! [thumbsup]

aiya he still young, and full of drive for the time being, still dont know where it will lead to. And like you said, we never know what NS life will do to his love and progress for the sport. Meanwhile we as parents can only offer whatever support we can, and hopefully he can leave his name as another great athlete in the history of this tiny sunny island. 

I really see hope in the young guns up and coming, beside the few in the news lately ( badminton, diving, table tennis, bowling),  there are quite a number in the track junior team looking very promising if they can stay injury free. 

I was just talking to my son about Jonathan Chan the diver being the first to qualify for the 2020 Olympics, and he was so excited, keep asking me is he a wild card or he legit qualify. [laugh]

And he was telling me , the current U18 teams in many sports are actually very strong, in fact much stronger than the current Senior team age to age. Will be interesting to see how  these fellows perform when they cross over to senior  and starts the real competitions. 

SG got hope in sports after all...:yuush::XD:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3