Has Our Road Etiquette / Courtesy Improved?

Davidklt

What do you guys think ?

I think so. Compared with maybe 10 years ago, I am seeing and experiencing more people giving way, and seeing fewer annoying honking.

Years ago, Singaporean drivers are notorious for not giving way and speeding up when you want to cut into some lanes.

Anyone think otherwise?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Yes.

But pls continue to treat all road users as idiots or pea brained. There will always be a few who want to be the exceptions.

But overall yes. Less catching up to close gap so u cant filter in, less colour blinds rushing to be photographed and generally more signals being chut, lo and behold, even those inside bmws and contis. 

Not sure the haze played a role also.

😁😁😂😂

Just yada-ing 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 1

No. Summed up in a recent experience where a middle age auntie in her little Merc CLA kept speeding up to prevent me from getting into her lane, despite me following all the road rules (indicating 3 seconds, checking blind spot etc). We looked at her and she just ignored. No where else in the world have I experienced this, and I've driven in more than 15 countries for 20+ years. Sad thing is I see it all the time in this country. 

I contend that Singaporeans aren't bad drivers, it's just that there a sad proportion that are arrogant, impatient and self-entitled.

What's worse is when Singaporean drivers take those habits overseas and assume that the rules of the road are the same as Singapore. I know people that had sped well over the speed limit in Europe (not autobahn or equivalent), because they thought people on the fast lane were just "being nice to them" by changing lanes as they approached. That (by the way) got them several (more than 3) speeding tickets.  On the other end of the scale, more than a few SG drivers have died on NZ roads because they assume road conditions are the same as SG. 

Edited by GTO-1
  • Praise 1

Thanks to prevalence of driving video recorders, people seem to be "better" drivers now than 10 years ago. 🤣

But we should be practicing good road manners regardless got video or no video recordings. 😅

• Praise 2

Hard to really define I guess. There are still bad drivers out there, but yeah I think things have improved a bit.

I think maybe a few reasons.

1) More in-car cams as mentioned above, so people now are more careful in case they kena spread all over the internet

2) More educated people who have experienced driving overseas? And so they learn how to behave when they come back here

3) (plausible but not 100%) Younger generation now are less inclined to get license and drive (given public transport and PHV now). So those that are left are those that actually take driving seriously and less likely to mess about/be idiots.

Just my thoughts.

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, GTO-1 said:

No. Summed up in a recent experience where a middle age auntie in her little Merc CLA kept speeding up to prevent me from getting into her lane, despite me following all the road rules (indicating 3 seconds, checking blind spot etc). We looked at her and she just ignored. No where else in the world have I experienced this, and I've driven in more than 15 countries for 20+ years. Sad thing is I see it all the time in this country. 

I contend that Singaporeans aren't bad drivers, it's just that there a sad proportion that are arrogant, impatient and self-entitled.

What's worse is when Singaporean drivers take those habits overseas and assume that the rules of the road are the same as Singapore. I know people that had sped well over the speed limit in Europe (not autobahn or equivalent), because they thought people on the fast lane were just "being nice to them" by changing lanes as they approached. That (by the way) got them several (more than 3) speeding tickets.  On the other end of the scale, more than a few SG drivers have died on NZ roads because they assume road conditions are the same as SG. 

So 2 options. 

Either go behind or have a more powerful car and floor it. 

• Praise 1

On 9/14/2019 at 6:17 PM, Davidtkl said:

What do you guys think ?

I think so. Compared with maybe 10 years ago, I am seeing and experiencing more people giving way, and seeing fewer annoying honking.

Years ago, Singaporean drivers are notorious for not giving way and speeding up when you want to cut into some lanes.

Anyone think otherwise?

Petrol now $2 + camera everywhere 

so people more alert to self pwn

What do you guys think ?

Anyone think otherwise?

Gotta share w us your daily route coz everyday, I'm still experiencing a lot of inconsiderate, self-entitled dickheads on our roads...

• Praise 2

Improved? I personally think got worse. Looking at so many reckless and impatient drivers on the road everyday you would see. It is becoming quite stressful to drive nowadays as compared to 10 years ago. -_-

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 2

11 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Improved? I personally think got worse. Looking at so many reckless and impatient drivers on the road everyday you would see. It is becoming quite stressful to drive nowadays as compared to 10 years ago. -_-

10 years ago mainly only personal cars and taxis on the road. Nowadays a lot of private hires, rentals cars on the street, people look at map app to drive and also population also much higher than 10 years back. The driving environment has changed. 

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Dafansu said:

10 years ago mainly only personal cars and taxis on the road. Nowadays a lot of private hires, rentals cars on the street, people look at map app to drive and also population also much higher than 10 years back. The driving environment has changed. 

True. But even those personal cars on the road now, many drivers also busy looking on their hp or day dreaming when driving. I think population got increased a lot or not, if the driving habits and road etiquette of drivers no good still same lo. [rolleyes]

2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

True. But even those personal cars on the road now, many drivers also busy looking on their hp or day dreaming when driving. I think population got increased a lot or not, if the driving habits and road etiquette of drivers no good still same lo. [rolleyes]

trying to get hitcher 😁. 10 years ago about 5m population, now about 5.6m. everywhere looks messy, even when walking 🤣

Edited by Dafansu

What do you guys think ?

Anyone think otherwise?

I'd have to say otherwise. In fact, I find more drives are more inconsiderate and driving more recklessly without consideration for others on the road. 

The phenomenon of speeding to block someone changing lanes happens all the time, hence sometimes I wonder whether using the indicator serves more like an invitation to have someone do that to you. However, I think perhaps there are certain exceptions coupled with other entitled/bad driving habits that works in the opposite way. For example, we are taught to signal way in advance, but there are those who will just flash a signal at the last second and automatically assume they can just cut into your path just because they did so.  There are also others who are driving parallel to you with half your car past them but they still attempt to force their way into your lane.

In terms of merging lanes, I still don't understand why people have to rush to force their way instead of steadily moving one-by-one; which often results in putting another driver in a stressful or dangerous situation because of such an action. Giving way and slowly lining and forming up would actually make the process of navigating merging lanes, particularly into entrances / exits of expressways or tunnels would really make things smoother. 

Then of course, another perennial problem is road-hogging, you see them all over expressways all the time - the self-entitled Sunday stroller on the centre and extreme right lanes, cruising like they're on some countryside road; To be fair, when the road is empty, there are those who give way and move left to make way to others moving faster than they are. But of course, there are also those who will go by the 'as-long-as-I'm-within-the-speed-limit, I've-every-right' mentality who will just hog those 2 lanes, and at worse, refuse to budge.

There's definitely more examples of inconsiderate driving, but I guess if I went on, this post might stretch over a few pages so perhaps I'll leave those for later.

2 hours ago, Soya said:

Gotta share w us your daily route coz everyday, I'm still experiencing a lot of inconsiderate, self-entitled dickheads on our roads...

Yes, please do share with us the route you take! Sometimes it could also be the timing along certain routes. When there's less cars, there's usually less instances of inconsiderate driving I suppose?

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, 13177 said:

10 years ago, I used to go for a drive in the evenings to de-stress

Nowadays, I will be more stressed if I go driving...

• Praise 3

back for 2 weeks. in sg now, not even 4 days,

some taxi driver honked me for giving way to the bus exiting bus stop. this morning, saw a car changed lanes on PIE in front of a semi trailer. no indicators less than 1m in front. i guess that fella has never watched truck drivers dash cam videos in russia before..

On 9/14/2019 at 10:15 PM, GTO-1 said:

i mantain that every country's drivers have their own bad habits. Eg. australian drivers on sunday. especially moms in big suvs hogging the right lane and think they're better than everyone because they are doing the speed limit and should not give way just because you want to go faster. For europe though, it's standard etiquette for people to give way to faster moving traffic in their left lanes. they have way better standard and etiquette over there. you rarely see road hogging across france, belgium and germany unless it's drivers from eastern europe. i've safely gone above 120mph (mostly between calais and paris) and still maintaining courtesy to other drivers 

What do you guys think ?

Anyone think otherwise?

medicine-5.jpg

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

16 minutes ago, Soya said:

10 years ago, I used to go for a drive in the evenings to de-stress

Nowadays, I will be more stressed if I go driving...

Agreed, thats why i said it is more stressful to drive now than 10 years ago. Last time i get headache if i dont drive and take public. But now i get headache when i drive than taking public. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement