Has Our Road Etiquette / Courtesy Improved?

Davidklt

On 9/14/2019 at 6:17 PM, Davidtkl said:

What do you guys think ?

I think so. Compared with maybe 10 years ago, I am seeing and experiencing more people giving way, and seeing fewer annoying honking.

Years ago, Singaporean drivers are notorious for not giving way and speeding up when you want to cut into some lanes.

Anyone think otherwise?

I think the situation improved except those who like to cut queue. This one a lot drivers will try best not to give way. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

39 minutes ago, louisbosco said:

back for 2 weeks. in sg now, not even 4 days,

some taxi driver honked me for giving way to the bus exiting bus stop. this morning, saw a car changed lanes on PIE in front of a semi trailer. no indicators less than 1m in front. i guess that fella has never watched truck drivers dash cam videos in russia before..

i mantain that every country's drivers have their own bad habits. Eg. australian drivers on sunday. especially moms in big suvs hogging the right lane and think they're better than everyone because they are doing the speed limit and should not give way just because you want to go faster. For europe though, it's standard etiquette for people to give way to faster moving traffic in their left lanes. they have way better standard and etiquette over there. you rarely see road hogging across france, belgium and germany unless it's drivers from eastern europe. i've safely gone above 120mph (mostly between calais and paris) and still maintaining courtesy to other drivers 

I feel the tp law book could be updated to charge those changing lane super close to trailer that caused the accident. 

Remember last year there is this car that changed lane infront of the trailer super closed that resulted in the trailer brake hard and then the behind load become off-balance and fall off. The result is it blocked 2 or 3 lanes in PIE. Can't quite remember how many lanes. This car that changed to trailer lane should be prosecuted for driving without due car or dangerous driving. Hope someone in traffic police department happened to read this post and feedback to their head of department. 

Found the news.. 

https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapore-seen/cargo-dislodges-from-trailer-after-driver-brakes-to-avoid-collision-on-pie

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

17 hours ago, 13177 said:

Agreed, thats why i said it is more stressful to drive now than 10 years ago. Last time i get headache if i dont drive and take public. But now i get headache when i drive than taking public[laugh]

gahmen's push for car-lite is bearing fruit😏

1 minute ago, boonhat_91 said:

gahmen's push for car-lite is bearing fruit😏

You are right, maybe they have make the road now becoming stressful to drive, like setting poor traffic lights timing, poor road design etc which then lead to super heavy traffic, and then resulted that drivers becoming impatient and so drive recklessly etc?! Lol.

15 minutes ago, 13177 said:

You are right, maybe they have make the road now becoming stressful to drive, like setting poor traffic lights timing, poor road design etc which then lead to super heavy traffic, and then resulted that drivers becoming impatient and so drive recklessly etc?! Lol.

U dun anyhow say lauya hor. LTA sell it's 'expertise' to others hor. Dun pray pray

Screenshot_20190918-111312_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, Soya said:

U dun anyhow say lauya hor. LTA sell it's 'expertise' to others hor. Dun pray pray

Screenshot_20190918-111312_Chrome.jpg

Sorrie, sorrie, i go repent. :ph34r:

compared to 10yrs ago? I think the etiquette is ok,  But the number of crazy ppl - last sec change lane, from right go extreme left by cutting across 3-4 lanes. 

in fact last week on AYE, some idiot actually stop in lane 3 without signal cuz he wanted to exit to NUH and couldn't... so he happily stop, cause everyone behind to jam brake, then cut across. ...

so while ppl still give way, wave thank you. etiquette wise remains more or less the same. 

BUT the number of stunts ppl pull. - driving in the opp direction, stopping in the middle of the expressway, going against traffic in the MSCP (going down the ramp when its actually meant for ppl to go up), zooming in KPE at like 100++km/h??? then brake till 70 just before camera see this many mornings at 6am... stopping in the middle of a turn to drop off their passengers, OMG!! 

Driving standards in Singapore are pretty poor, certainly for a developed country. Traffic is not collaborative - it's basically everyone for themselves, and driving is generally a tense experience here. 

Too many impatient and aggressive drivers on the road. Maybe it's the rat race & stress that rubs off on drivers.

Coupled with a large population of motorcycles (involved in 50% of all traffic fatalities), Singapore makes for a lot of unsafe driving.

1. I reckon only about 20-30% of drivers bother to signal at intersections in dual/multi direction lanes. Also don't you just love
those who only start signalling when they're already started their turn or halfway moved into the other lane? 

2. I've been in numerous PHV's driving from the CBD to Changi where the driver didn't use the signal one single time. And these drivers are young, so you
would expect them to be a product of contemporary traffic school standards. 

3. I routinely get honked for not making discretionary turns when view of oncoming traffic is being blocked...
- I've personally witnessed at least two serious right-turn accidents happen in this intersection (Clemenceau/River Valley), both cars totalled.
(luckily noone killed, as far as I know, unlike that poor woman at Clementi last year)

Edited by CremornePt
  • Praise 1

22 minutes ago, CremornePt said:

1. I reckon only about 20-30% of drivers bother to signal at intersections in dual/multi direction lanes. Also don't you just love
those who only start signalling when they're already started their turn or halfway moved into the other lane? 

LOL, I just encountered this (again) today at the junction turning left from Marymount Lane to Upper Thomson Road. Right most lane is straight/right but the left green arrow comes on when the main light is red. I signalled left well in advance, the minivan in front was even angled a bit to the left, but guess what? He was turning right after all. 

Oh well, I quite like exercising my horn. 😂

22 hours ago, CremornePt said:

Driving standards in Singapore are pretty poor, certainly for a developed country. Traffic is not collaborative - it's basically everyone for themselves, and driving is generally a tense experience here. 

Too many impatient and aggressive drivers on the road. Maybe it's the rat race & stress that rubs off on drivers.

I generally agree with this sentiment. Singaporean drivers are quite selfish in general. Very stressed up. 

6 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

I generally agree with this sentiment. Singaporean drivers are quite selfish in general. Very stressed up. 

Singaporean drivers are very selfish.

Nothing to do with 'very stressed up' all drivers everywhere are stressed these days.

• Praise 2

its not abt stress its more of being considerate. sometimes people even in the carpark drive damn reckless, jus ytd people can gt into accident at the carpark. 

wife told me in spore, we shud jus get rid of the signalling , hazards lights, side mirrors and headlights. most peope dun signal and use their side mirrors. got goondu dun even on their headlights. liddat can lower car price since most people dun bother to use them.

insurance kp rising we gt nobody to blame but ourselves

Edited by alex976

4 hours ago, Neutrino said:

Singaporean drivers are very selfish.

Nothing to do with 'very stressed up' all drivers everywhere are stressed these days.

Maybe because work stress, at home stress, so take it out on the roads?

It's like the moment Singaporeans get into the car, becomes anarchy already.

I think upbringing plays a part. From young, parents will want you to win this, win that.. Moreover, Sg is a small country, everyone cherishes personal space dearly. Any drivers who cut in abruptly is similar to disrespecting their privacy. 

• Praise 1

On 9/21/2019 at 10:37 AM, Optramagnum said:

I think upbringing plays a part. From young, parents will want you to win this, win that.. Moreover, Sg is a small country, everyone cherishes personal space dearly. Any drivers who cut in abruptly is similar to disrespecting their privacy. 

Some people can be quite competitive. 

My 90 yo mil plays jigsaw puzzles, just small 50 piece puzzles but she has a clock in front of her and times how long it takes to complete and notes her best time.

Then at the eye clinic when they test her eye, only one eye works the other is blind, she reads the letters on the card and when she reaches what the nurse considers to be passed my mil will carry on and read the next smaller line and then the smaller line under that if she can.😁

↡ Advertisement