COE Bidding – 2nd Round of September 2019

Carbon82

Just now, Civicblade said:

This means dealers are very bullish about demand and with the pending COE quota cut after 2nd round of COE bidding results in October, supply will further shrink in Nov/Dec/Jan quarter. This coincide with pre-CNY delivery of cars so dealers are rushing in to take advantage of the low COE prices right now (due to fears of further deteriorating economic conditions). I would say dealers who got Cat E COE this round are shrewd business people. 

Agree in general, but I am think if dealers fear further deteriorating economic conditions they would not bid up Cat E by so much.  

Surprisingly, all the Categories except A and D went up. I was quite sure it would register a drop n the bidding was sluggish till only towards the end. So much for economy being in recession.

• Praise 5

3 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Agree in general, but I am think if dealers fear further deteriorating economic conditions they would not bid up Cat E by so much.  

I agree too, dealers don't really fear the economic conditions as you can see in the 100% over-subscription in CAT E (this is the category whereby almost 100% of bidders are dealers). 

CAT A and CAT B are weaker because there is a NRIC attached to every bid in these two categories. Buyers sentiment is not as hot but dealers are taking advantage of the cooling down situation and the confirmed quota cut in the coming 4 years to grab some CAT E for their CNY marketing/sales/promotion. 

2 minutes ago, Civicblade said:

I agree too, dealers don't really fear the economic conditions as you can see in the 100% over-subscription in CAT E (this is the category whereby almost 100% of bidders are dealers). 

CAT A and CAT B are weaker because there is a NRIC attached to every bid in these two categories. Buyers sentiment is not as hot but dealers are taking advantage of the cooling down situation and the confirmed quota cut in the coming 4 years to grab some CAT E for their CNY marketing/sales/promotion. 

CNY still too far away.  They would want to offload these 40k COEs by the next car show.

2 minutes ago, Spring said:

Surprisingly, all the car Categories except A went up. I was quite sure it would register a drop n the bidding was sluggish till only towards the end. So much for economy being in recession.

You will need a GFC to push CAT A COE prices down to $2 and it happened only once in 2008. The prices quickly went back up to $5k range and stabilizes at $10k-20k region. The boom back up to $50k came in less than 2 years and within 4 years things are closer to $100k.   

2 minutes ago, Civicblade said:

You will need a GFC to push CAT A COE prices down to $2 and it happened only once in 2008. The prices quickly went back up to $5k range and stabilizes at $10k-20k region. The boom back up to $50k came in less than 2 years and within 4 years things are closer to $100k.   

Those days were closed bidding so every possibility of going down to $2 but in these days of open bidding, think even a GFC will not see $2 anymore.

• Praise 4

12 minutes ago, Spring said:

Surprisingly, all the Categories except A and D went up. I was quite sure it would register a drop n the bidding was sluggish till only towards the end. So much for economy being in recession.

Economic performance has nothing to do with Coe price movement.  This has been proven many times already. 

If I see accepted under the COE bidding enquiry means I have secured the COE? 

2 hours ago, Old-driver said:

Edited by icez118

4 hours ago, Civicblade said:

I also noticed Cat E bidding was quite unusual in the early afternoon today.

I think car dealers are stocking up Cat E as they anticipate a slight quota cut in the next quarter.

Car buyers tend to change cars 1-2 months before Chinese New Year, so the COE at hand allows the car dealers to have a smoother and faster sale.

4 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Economic performance has nothing to do with Coe price movement.  This has been proven many times already. 

If there is no trade war, both Cat A and B should be $40k+ easily by now.