Cars@Expo Oct 2019

Lotr

27 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

Hmmmm why would VV built their cars in those countries ........... 😅 

S90 in China ? OMG ! ............... 

Straits Times article for earlier this year

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/volvo-starts-selling-its-china-made-models-here

Volvo starts selling its China-made models here

Authorised agent Wearnes Automotive has started with the S90 flagship sedan (above and left) and XC60 mid-sized crossover. Volvo Cars is owned by Chinese carmaker Geely Holdings, which also owns Lotus and Proton.
Authorised agent Wearnes Automotive has started with the S90 flagship sedan (above) and XC60 mid-sized crossover. Volvo Cars is owned by Chinese carmaker Geely Holdings, which also owns Lotus and Proton.ST PHOTO: TOH YONG CHUAN
PUBLISHEDJAN 5, 2019, 5:00 AM SGT
It says move won't result in cost savings but will address capacity limitations in plants elsewhere
Christopher TanSenior Transport Correspondent 
Volvo Cars has become the first non-Chinese brand to import China-made cars into Singapore.

Volvo's authorised agent Wearnes Automotive has begun selling made-in-China models - starting with the S90 flagship sedan and XC60 mid-sized crossover.

Its managing director (Volvo, Pre-Owned and Insurance) Sabrina Sng said the move, which will not result in cost savings, is to address capacity limitations in Volvo's Swedish and Belgian plants. She gave the assurance that the China-made cars are manufactured according to global quality standards.

"The car quality is great - no different than any in our range," she said, adding that "customers are mostly indifferent" to the move.

Volvo Cars is owned by Chinese carmaker Geely Holdings, which also owns Lotus and Proton.

The S90 is made in Volvo Cars' plant in Daqing, while the XC60 is from its factory in Chengdu.

The Swedish brand was the first Western carmaker to export a China-made premium model to the United States back in 2015.

In 2017, it began exporting S90s to Europe by rail from Daqing.

As the company expands, observers expect that it will have to diversify its production. In the first nine months of last year, Volvo sold 472,553 cars, up 14.3 per cent from the same period in 2017.

The new Volvo S60, for instance, will be imported from a new plant in Charleston, South Carolina.

Similarly, BMW announced last April that from 2020, it will start exporting the new iX3 crossover from its plant in Shenyang.

BMW Asia, however, said there is no plan "in the near future" to bring the iX3 to Singapore.

The car industry is not unique in tapping China's manufacturing prowess. Branded goods companies which have done so include Nike, Apple, Armani and Prada.

Said Nanyang Business School adjunct associate professor Zafar Momin: "I am fairly confident there would be no long-term impact on brand appeal of China-made Volvos. As an exporter of global car brands, China has been closing the quality gap with established car manufacturers.

"As China's manufacturing capability continues to mature, as it has since the 1990s, it becomes harder to establish the country of origin by simply examining the car quality.

"In the near term, there may be customers whose purchase decision may be biased against 'China-made cars' as it is a relatively new production source for passenger cars. But such sentiments will fade."

Loyal Volvo customer Benjamin Tan, 48, is not sure.

"It's a stigma attached to Volvo now that some models are manufactured in China. I would consider twice before buying one made from there, as I may suffer some resistance when trying to sell it off in future," said the civil servant.

Cars are not always made in their countries of origin. For instance, Toyota and Honda import models made in Thailand; BMW and Mercedes-Benz import some cars from South Africa and North America; and Volkswagen imports the Beetle from Mexico.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Twincharged
6 hours ago, Spring said:

I was at the Expo and I thought Volvo gave a fair price for their cars eg base s60 T4 was going for $159k, base XC40 T4 was going for $145k both with guaranteed COE. 

Am I wrong that it's a fair price? Seems a lot of pessimists here who are not convinced that the Expo show does give discounts. 

S60T4 and S90 at 159k and 177k, with conditions attached are at the cheapest since launch

However, if one compares with some of the periods in 2013 where coe was much higher, the price may still on the high side

e.g in march 2013, s60 T4 (previous model, but new one at that time) was 149k with coe at around 60k

coe is 37-38k now

of course one can argue about omv an the ves tax

s60 will sell very well if they price it closer to 150k, brand wise hard to compete with 320 (189k) and Merc A-C series (150-180k) 

• Praise 7

Please la, Made in China very bad meh. All your iPhone and computer also Made in China now, everyone still buy.

I've visited car factories in Europe and China, and honestly sometimes the QC in Europe is even slacker than Asia.

Let's not put these ang mohs on a pedestal all the time. Look at things objectively. Whatever you think of China, it's a fact that their manufacturing quality is capable of reaching a very high standard now. If not why would all these companies have facilities there.

Edited by Benarsenal
  • Praise 9

36 minutes ago, Scion said:

i for one support MIC one... especially cheap and good eg Xiaomi :D

If cheap and still maintain the same std as their european counter parts i dun mind.

I rmb last time when my altis gt prob. The toyota SE told me, siam kia car is this kuan one. My altis was 113k at 60k COE. My main take is as long as price is good and quality is there i dun mind but if quality isnt there and i am still paying the same price of cos i will be pissed.

3 hours ago, car50 said:

S60T4 and S90 at 159k and 177k, with conditions attached are at the cheapest since launch

However, if one compares with some of the periods in 2013 where coe was much higher, the price may still on the high side

e.g in march 2013, s60 T4 (previous model, but new one at that time) was 149k with coe at around 60k

coe is 37-38k now

of course one can argue about omv an the ves tax

s60 will sell very well if they price it closer to 150k, brand wise hard to compete with 320 (189k) and Merc A-C series (150-180k) 

This s60 is an all new model with a different OMV from that of 2013 n with VES now as compared to CEVS then, I don’t think it’s comparable. $26k margin for a just launched Volvo is fair when u compare with a Camry that is also going for around that margin. 

Anyway, my main point was that there is a fair discount at Cars at Expo if u do your homework n this s60 proves it. I don’t think u can get this price now ie after the show. 

• Praise 8

wah... atbs tenderly assemble your volvo or amdk anyhow assemble your volvo according to his mood 

which one you prefer? 

🤣

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

Please la, Made in China very bad meh. All your iPhone and computer also Made in China now, everyone still buy.

I've visited car factories in Europe and China, and honestly sometimes the QC in Europe is even slacker than Asia.

Let's not put these ang mohs on a pedestal all the time. Look at things objectively. Whatever you think of China, it's a fact that their manufacturing quality is capable of reaching a very high standard now. If not why would all these companies have facilities there.

I sat in a Made in Shandong 5 series.  The interior fitting seems to be worse than Made in Dingolfing le.

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Vinceng said:

Those who have owned made in Japan Toyota, will know the difference in the Thai assembled ones.

I fully disagree. If you have the chance to visit Bangkok anytime soon, pls drop by any of their Toyota showroom.

Their HIGH SPEC Toyota, including the Vios, Altis are much better built than ours. 

Rem pple, our B n B models are stripped down models with plenty of equipment deleted to save on OMV. And our engine choice, rather the lack of it, are often the base of all base model that are usually meant for taxi/fleet svcs in Thailand. Naturally when u want to shoot for the lowest OMV, Toyota will have another set of build quality standards for you guys.

FYI, despite having full climate control, your Vios, Altis and even Camry arrived SG with NO aircon compressor nor its related hardware installed. All these will be installed at the PDI center. The same goes for the local fitted PVC leather. Even the so called factory fitted wheels are actually installed locally. Yes they are indeed factory items, but they are shipped in separately so that it will not be subjected to taxes.

So to those who still think your brand new Toyota in SG is that pristine... hahaha... it has been dismantled at the PDI center before. 

Only the high profit margin ones eg Rav4, Alphard, Prius etc came fully equipped from the factory. This is why their OMV are higher. 

Surprisingly Fortuner came in fully assembled despite being made in Indonesia

• Praise 2

8 hours ago, Lycanthrope said:

i will wait for the new proton suv then

Geely will use Proton production facilities to build RHD models of their cars for regional sales. 

Export market will prob retain Geely nameplate since Proton nameplate is a big boo boo in every country where it was sold. 

So for the Proton X70, it is likely SG market will get the original Geely No Moon nameplate as u can find in China

There is an upcoming smaller SUV called Geely Binyue...its Vezel, CHR sized 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

I fully disagree. If you have the chance to visit Bangkok anytime soon, pls drop by any of their Toyota showroom.

Their HIGH SPEC Toyota, including the Vios, Altis are much better built than ours. 

Rem pple, our B n B models are stripped down models with plenty of equipment deleted to save on OMV. And our engine choice, rather the lack of it, are often the base of all base model that are usually meant for taxi/fleet svcs in Thailand. Naturally when u want to shoot for the lowest OMV, Toyota will have another set of build quality standards for you guys.

FYI, despite having full climate control, your Vios, Altis and even Camry arrived SG with NO aircon compressor nor its related hardware installed. All these will be installed at the PDI center. The same goes for the local fitted PVC leather. Even the so called factory fitted wheels are actually installed locally. Yes they are indeed factory items, but they are shipped in separately so that it will not be subjected to taxes.

So to those who still think your brand new Toyota in SG is that pristine... hahaha... it has been dismantled at the PDI center before. 

Only the high profit margin ones eg Rav4, Alphard, Prius etc came fully equipped from the factory. This is why their OMV are higher. 

....no wonder new car after 1 year, many rattling sound...sighhh

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

You know this for a fact? Or its your imagination as usual? 

You already seem to confuse equipment level with build quality. 

• Praise 4

19 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

You know this for a fact? Or its your imagination as usual? 

You already seem to confuse equipment level with build quality. 

Go to any Toyota showroom in Bangkok and see for yourself. Facts won't drop from the sky by just questioning others gesture of good will on this subject 

↡ Advertisement