17 NEA staff, 14 funeral service employees given stern warnings over red packet practice at Mandai crematorium: CPIB

Sx4falcon

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/17-public-servants-14-funeral-service-staff-given-stern-warning-over-red-pack-practice-at-mandai-crematorium-114602009.html

Thought give red packet is an traditional practice to show appreciation for someone. Wonder what trigger this and how serious is the red packet practice. Someone abuse this? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

A total of 33 people, including public servants, have been taken to task over a practice of giving and receiving red packets in exchange for preferential services at Mandai Crematorium and Columbarium.

This is as good as bribing. All of them should be jailed.

12 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

Coming CNY ANGPAO will kena or not?

Token of appreciation only leh

During CNY it's the elders who will give angbao to the juniors or children. Traditionally called "ya shui chien". It's not a token of appreciation.

For this case these are ppl from funeral palours. It has to do with dead ppl. Give what angbao? A bunch of shady ppl.

Edited by Watwheels

34 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

Coming CNY ANGPAO will kena or not?

Token of appreciation only leh

Please la. This is obviously bribery. Double standards since they jailed a truck driver for taking $1 "token of appreciation".

The details of this ang pow taken by crematorium staff is not clear. If its just token of appreciation then I don't see a big deal and certainly not bribery in any form. However, if there is proof that indeed preferential treatment has been given then it's a different matter altogether but frankly, I don't see how preferential treatment can be given at a crematorium where everything runs like clockwork from the timings to the actual cremation itself. Perhaps I'm missing something here?

• Praise 4

5 minutes ago, Spring said:

The details of this ang pow taken by crematorium staff is not clear. If its just token of appreciation then I don't see a big deal and certainly not bribery in any form. However, if there is proof that indeed preferential treatment has been given then it's a different matter altogether but frankly, I don't see how preferential treatment can be given at a crematorium where everything runs like clockwork from the timings to the actual cremation itself. Perhaps I'm missing something here?

You are right to say the details aren't there. But think of it from the other way: why would a crematorium give a token of appreciation to NEA staff if it doesn't result in preferential treatment?

maybe a lot of traditional rituals that breach the rules at Mandai crematorium.

i find that a lot of such rituals only done when a person is dead, 1 year later nobody bother not even qing ming or anniversary, so what the hack!

• Praise 6

1 hour ago, Kusje said:

You are right to say the details aren't there. But think of it from the other way: why would a crematorium give a token of appreciation to NEA staff if it doesn't result in preferential treatment?

I thought its the funeral company giving ang pow to the crematorium staff which works for NEA? Maybe I'm naïve but this practise of giving ang pow to attendants handling the dead is more of a good luck token of appreciation as our culture still treats death as taboo, bad luck. So to me it's an innocent, honest gesture with no agenda but as I said, maybe its not so straight forward as I perceive it to be else I don't think CPIB so free come and catch this kind of small money.

• Praise 7

37 minutes ago, Spring said:

I thought its the funeral company giving ang pow to the crematorium staff which works for NEA? Maybe I'm naïve but this practise of giving ang pow to attendants handling the dead is more of a good luck token of appreciation as our culture still treats death as taboo, bad luck. So to me it's an innocent, honest gesture with no agenda but as I said, maybe its not so straight forward as I perceive it to be else I don't think CPIB so free come and catch this kind of small money.

It's probably being going on for many years already. Funeral is like wedding, lots of small angbaos here and there to show appreciation. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Vratenza said:

Funerals are for the living.

Food for thought. 

just like many wedding banquets are not for the couple.

already told my wife, find the easiest way to dispose of can liao.

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

The dead are food for worms. 

Or fodder for the four winds. 

True for us modern-thinking or higher educated ones ... "dead" to us is finish THE END. But for the religious types, they don't think so.

It States:

Quote// 

A total of 33 people, including public servants, have been taken to task over a practice of giving and receiving red packets in exchange for preferential services at Mandai Crematorium and Columbarium.

In a media statement on Thursday (19 September), the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB), said it was notified in October last year of the practice – which involved employees of funeral services companies giving environmental health attendants working for the National Environment Agency (NEA) red packets.

//unquote

A funeral services will assist with the funeral arrangements via the NEA. Funerals can be simple or elaborate, and differ by religious requirements.

From holding the Wake, cremation/burial, etc, everything have to go through NEA.

From this point of view, I guess the funeral services companies tried to give "Ang bao" the NEA officer / attendants to be more lax on certain processes.

Just my personal assumption...

back in 1999 I was told by my  funeral services company  to give Ang bao to the NEA officer / attendants when I collect my father's ashes to be place inside the urn.

↡ Advertisement