17 NEA staff, 14 funeral service employees given stern warnings over red packet practice at Mandai crematorium: CPIB

Sx4falcon

1 hour ago, Sosaria said:

True for us modern-thinking or higher educated ones ... "dead" to us is finish THE END. But for the religious types, they don't think so.

Even for one of the "religious types", they believe in a soul that has departed the physical body, right? Why venerate dead meat bereft of the soul, which was the essence of the person they're grieving for? 

Anyway, we shouldn't derail this thread. 

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

when staff cremated my dad small token

when staff cleaned his niche and provide table for prayers small token

when staff helped to burn joss paper to him small token

I dont see anything wrong for token of appreciation 

PS. my 2ml worth of Ron 95:a-toast:

• Praise 2

12 hours ago, Kusje said:

How come this guy went to jail while the civil servants only get a stern warning?

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/forklift-operator-jailed-for-collecting-bribes-of-between-10-cents-and-1-from

I think the red packet practice for funeral service is more like a token of apperication instead of corruption. However cpib still need to answer to public on this red packet practice as it could falls within the corruption. So after long consideration, decide to give stern warning instead. So give them chance to not to have this red packet practice in future and at the same time being accountable towards public and on corruption. 

For the 10c bribes it is clearly a bribes so this one can't escape leh. So both are different situations. 

I think it is a holdover from times where human beings are human beings. 

I mean loved one remains are going to be handled by potentially rough and rude people. Some money to ensure safety/protection of the loved person, though dead is still loved.

How about this, people know how the world is and how people are actually going to be in reality, only those jiak gantan actually believe in the system. The system may have worked flawlessly for a time when those that powered it had superb integrity.  The weakest set the standards.

This may be a case of choosing the apt group to drive home the point of corruption for the larger government body.

How about this, popcorn at movie theatres.

1. Are they made fresh everyday?

2. Are unsold popcorn kept and tossed and mixed into the fresh lot?

3. Is this corruption that NEA does not check the food by cinemas? Or speak with the child workers? What they learn there?

Not that i am GiVing any allegations nor SHhing anybody. I eat Cathay popcorn all the time.

You know i like moving pictures. Get it? Want the film?

Stomp?

17 hours ago, Jon_cclau said:

It States:

Quote// 

A total of 33 people, including public servants, have been taken to task over a practice of giving and receiving red packets in exchange for preferential services at Mandai Crematorium and Columbarium.

In a media statement on Thursday (19 September), the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB), said it was notified in October last year of the practice – which involved employees of funeral services companies giving environmental health attendants working for the National Environment Agency (NEA) red packets.

What kind of preferential service can it be in a crematorium ??

Add extra wood or more gas !!!! :slow:

Maybe they are trying to make the red packets factor into the price list to so call make it "transparent"?

For example, if you

want certain timeslot +$100,

want to request for certain hall +$200,

Etc, etc

Like that the revenue can increase, so that the top management can justify pay raise, and they no need to "red eye" the ground staff getting extra "tips".

20 hours ago, Lala81 said:

It's probably being going on for many years already. Funeral is like wedding, lots of small angbaos here and there to show appreciation. 

Wah... then giving dowry and ang bao to wifey sisters etc how... 

Clearly asking for preferential treatments.. 😂

Cpib lor..

12 hours ago, Inlinefour said:

when staff cremated my dad small token

when staff cleaned his niche and provide table for prayers small token

when staff helped to burn joss paper to him small token

I dont see anything wrong for token of appreciation 

PS. my 2ml worth of Ron 95:a-toast:

Quite true.. sometimes it's just appreciation that someone is doing a tough job. 

I also give cleaners ang bao during cny... not that I expect them clean my void deck better 🙄

I heard before actors playing funeral scenes also get ang bao.. just tradition. 

Politicians giving themselves millions no problems... promising to buy supporters no problems.. 😑

• Praise 3

10 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Quite true.. sometimes it's just appreciation that someone is doing a tough job. 

I also give cleaners ang bao during cny... not that I expect them clean my void deck better 🙄

I heard before actors playing funeral scenes also get ang bao.. just tradition. 

😑

Yes CNY go prayer also give token to all working staff

Showing our appreciation for their hard work

• Praise 3

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

What kind of preferential service can it be in a crematorium ??

Add extra wood or more gas !!!! :slow:

Actually according to the rules and regulation set by NEA in the crematorium, you can only burn joss stick at certain designated location.

And also tables and offering, there are also some kind of limitation, etc..

So I guess the red packet could be something for the NEA officer to close one eye. 

But to be honest, if I am the NEA officer, even without the red packet I probably would also close one eye if the request is not hazardous to the public... I mean... decease family are grieving, don't be too strict lor... 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Jon_cclau said:

Actually according to the rules and regulation set by NEA in the crematorium, you can only burn joss stick at certain designated location.

And also tables and offering, there are also some kind of limitation, etc..

So I guess the red packet could be something for the NEA officer to close one eye. 

But to be honest, if I am the NEA officer, even without the red packet I probably would also close one eye if the request is not hazardous to the public... I mean... decease family are grieving, don't be too strict lor... 

More of like a tradition thing and token of appreciation. This is likely also the reason they were given only warning, if not prepare to go jail for corruption 

• Praise 1

I read the report as those funeral services company give ang bao to the officers. Nothing about family members giving ang bao to the officers. So I dont think CPIB is catching the ang bao from family members.

• Praise 1

Just attended a cremation service at mandai dis morning.

After final prayer suppose to push the coffin in but staff say burner not ready. Caretaker was also surprised how come they were not informed earlier. So everybody waited for abt 20 mins inside the auditorium staring at the coffin. 

Never happen before during my numerous visits..

Could be "ang pow no more liao"....😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2