Question on retained VRN

Bibimonky

Hi hi, newbie here and sorry if this question of mine has been asked before. I have tried reading up one motoring and this forum but is unable to come up with a good solution/answer.

I wish to use my wife's VRN (when she sells her car) on a used car which I intend to purchase under my name. What is the most cost effective way to go about it assuming both cars are/will be under finance?

1. Transfer her car to me before selling? That would lower the resale value, but that would mean I only pay $1300 in getting the VRN retained on my newly purchased used car and probably also the most straight forward method?

2. Wife pays $1300 to retain VRN, then transfer to me for using on my new used car and I pay another $1300. So total $2600? is this correct?

3. Any other ways? 

Thanks and advice is much appreciated 😃

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Wife buys the new used car and transfer the VRN to it for 1300. She takes loan, but you use the car... Bestest solution. 

lol... this is the current situation though I have been servicing the existing loan. Problem is I have to be the one taking up the loan for the new used car haha...

31 minutes ago, Old-driver said:

Unless the prefix is important or old or associated with your initials or some other reasons, bidding for a same number might be a better option. $1k-ish all settled.

Sentimental value lol...

Pay $1300 to retain the VRN under your wife's name. Then write in to transfer VRN to you. Register new car under your name with the retained VRN, LTA will refund $1200 to you. I just did it.

• Praise 3

55 minutes ago, KimiR said:

Pay $1300 to retain the VRN under your wife's name. Then write in to transfer VRN to you. Register new car under your name with the retained VRN, LTA will refund $1200 to you. I just did it.

TS is buyng a new used car. Not buying new car. So don't think the refund part is applicable.

Second bro Volvobrick's method. Most cost effective. 

Method 1: Wife sell her current car and retain VRN to be use on the new used-car (registere under her name and she take loan). You drive the car. Best if she is trading-in her car for the used-car you are intending to buy. Save paperwork. 

On your point 2, your wife cannot transfer her retained VRN (paid $1300) to you and you pay another $1300. LTA states 'You cannot transfer a retained VRN to a vehicle you do not own.'

Method 2: On the above, your wife has to become the owner of the new used-car you intend to buy to transfer her retained VRN to it. After that, she transfer the ownership of that used-car to you. 

Your choice. 

Go thru so much hassle just to have the vrn. I think only in sg.

What difference does it make whether it's your wife or you who uses the vrn?

I cannot understand why ppl like to chase after numbers especially the Chinese. I'm Chinese too but when I see ppl spend thousands on a vrn I think they are kumgong cos they donate so much to LTA but all they get is a number. LTA dont even give you a lion dance around your car and put an orange "huat" on your car.🤣

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 4

22 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Go thru so much hassle just to have the vrn. I think only in sg.

What difference does it make whether it's your wife or you who uses the vrn?

I cannot understand why ppl like to chase after numbers especially the Chinese. I'm Chinese too but when I see ppl spend thousands on a vrn I think they are kumgong cos they donate so much to LTA but all they get is a number. LTA dont even give you a lion dance around your car and put an orange "huat" on your car.🤣

Very true. But too bad some people really can spend tons of money just on a set of numbers. As long as they can afford and happy ok liao. The ultimate winner still LTA lo.

I think best if the car dont have any loan, TS should transfer his wife car to him before selling, then retain the VRN and sell wife car. Later TS buy user car and register the VRN to the car.

I have a friend used this method before. His father car VRN is nice but registered under his father name. Later his father plans to scrap the car when reached 10th year and not planning to buy another car. So my friend transferred ownership to his name before car scrapped. Then retained the VRN and later buy another car using the retain number.

• Praise 2

On 9/20/2019 at 2:12 PM, KimiR said:

Write in to LTA ? 

If that happens and have a precedence, all hell will break loose. A VRN cannot and never ever will be allowed to transfer just by the VRN only. 

Probably the only time u can write into LTA is the owner of the VRN is deceased and that the syllabus is of motoring history of Singapore ie: S or E and when i say S i mean "S" not SB or SC syllabus

On 9/20/2019 at 12:31 PM, Bibimonky said:

Hi hi, newbie here and sorry if this question of mine has been asked before. I have tried reading up one motoring and this forum but is unable to come up with a good solution/answer.

I wish to use my wife's VRN (when she sells her car) on a used car which I intend to purchase under my name. What is the most cost effective way to go about it assuming both cars are/will be under finance?

1. Transfer her car to me before selling? That would lower the resale value, but that would mean I only pay $1300 in getting the VRN retained on my newly purchased used car and probably also the most straight forward method?

2. Wife pays $1300 to retain VRN, then transfer to me for using on my new used car and I pay another $1300. So total $2600? is this correct?

3. Any other ways? 

Thanks and advice is much appreciated 😃

TS , why not write in or go to KTA counter to ask them, I find that they are quite helpful.

Alternatively,  if you are trading in your wife's car for another used car to a same dealer, I am sure they know how to run the admin process for you. 

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, cmcex said:

Write in to LTA ? 

If that happens and have a precedence, all hell will break loose. A VRN cannot and never ever will be allowed to transfer just by the VRN only. 

Probably the only time u can write into LTA is the owner of the VRN is deceased and that the syllabus is of motoring history of Singapore ie: S or E and when i say S i mean "S" not SB or SC syllabus

Hi, just to share, I did it too.  they only allow transfer between immediate family members and the owners of the VRN must authorised the transfers . it can be done as one of the member has pointed out but there is an 'admin' fees to be paid.

just call or email them for the details and process.

• Praise 4

15 minutes ago, Blackknight88 said:

Hi, just to share, I did it too.  they only allow transfer between immediate family members and the owners of the VRN must authorised the transfers . it can be done as one of the member has pointed out but there is an 'admin' fees to be paid.

just call or email them for the details and process.

Kindly advise what will be the admin fee? the usual $1300?