The Merlion Will Be Demolished To Make Way For A $90 Million Pedestrian Bridge

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

Screenshot_20190920_232254_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.fb85412ba713050bc85451362519258c.jpgScreenshot_20190920_232302_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.3afb2306f48ed948bb5e9b9aca75946a.jpgScreenshot_20190920_232307_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.03bcb3f817b82cf6bf9938d563397602.jpg

This makes me quite sad. Removing one of the most iconic Merlion in Singapore to boost tourism at a budget of $90 million dollars? Shouldn't the Merlion be incorporated into future plans instead? Bring your kids to see the Merlion one last time because in SG, nothing lasts forever. Sentosa is just another tourist trap now. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8
  • Sad 1

The title is so misleading. -_-

Please indicate that it is the Merlion of Sentosa,  and NOT the Guardian of our island located at the Merlion park. 

The Merlion at the Merlion park,  is the mascot of Singapore,  and our Guardian from evil attacks from the sea.  It will never be demolish. Please go read up on how much was taken into the relocation in 2002, and how respectful our senior leaders are towards the Merlion. 

The one at sentosa?  That was always a tourists attraction,  and nothing wrong to demolish a tourists attraction to make way for better attractions. 

It really gave me a shock had I not read the whole thing. Totally misleading and unacceptable. 

• Praise 16
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Please indicate that it is the Merlion of Sentosa,  and NOT the Guardian of our island located at the Merlion park. 

The Merlion at the Merlion park,  is the mascot of Singapore,  and our Guardian from evil attacks from the sea.  It will never be demolish. Please go read up on how much was taken into the relocation in 2002, and how respectful our senior leaders are towards the Merlion. 

The one at sentosa?  That was always a tourists attraction,  and nothing wrong to demolish a tourists attraction to make way for better attractions. 

It really gave me a shock had I not read the whole thing. Totally misleading and unacceptable. 

Yeah. Sentosa Merlion = fake Merlion.

Merlion Park Merlion = Real Merlion

• Praise 8

I oso tot it was the one in the city ...... don’t really bother much with the Sentosa one ......... anyway nothing in Singapore is permanent , everything is like 30 year lease , wonder what will happen to Haw Par Villa too as it’s really high maintenance and also sitting on good real estate and not earning much 

• Praise 8

7 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Lol. Same la.. both also useless one hahhahha 

• Praise 2

8 hours ago, Tianmo said:

I  agree it is misleading and what is demolished isn't the real Merlion.

But the real Merlion is also a tourist attraction. It was a marketing gimmick created by the tourism board.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Mockngbrd said:

Guardian? Merlion is stb invention la. Bluff chewren n tourists one. There is only 1 emperor of sg. 

Yes, the real mascot statue and guardian of SG is coming soon at GBTBE

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Screenshot_20190920_232254_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.fb85412ba713050bc85451362519258c.jpgScreenshot_20190920_232302_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.3afb2306f48ed948bb5e9b9aca75946a.jpgScreenshot_20190920_232307_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.03bcb3f817b82cf6bf9938d563397602.jpg

This makes me quite sad. Removing one of the most iconic Merlion in Singapore to boost tourism at a budget of $90 million dollars? Shouldn't the Merlion be incorporated into future plans instead? Bring your kids to see the Merlion one last time because in SG, nothing lasts forever. Sentosa is just another tourist trap now. 

When a rubbish bin center cost almost $1 million, I wonder what will we get finally with 90 million? 

• Praise 8

3 hours ago, BanCoe said:

I oso tot it was the one in the city ...... don’t really bother much with the Sentosa one ......... anyway nothing in Singapore is permanent , everything is like 30 year lease , wonder what will happen to Haw Par Villa too as it’s really high maintenance and also sitting on good real estate and not earning much 

This place much older than SG independence?

Very long history already.....and one of its kind place of interest. 

Thought its free entry so no earning. 

• Praise 2

10 hours ago, Tianmo said:

You don’t say I also don’t know these stuffs 

• Praise 2

34 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

This place much older than SG independence?

Very long history already.....and one of its kind place of interest. 

Thought its free entry so no earning. 

Yes it’s built in 1937 according to google , now in govt hands so it’s going to cost them quite a bit to maintain 

• Praise 5

4 hours ago, BanCoe said:

38 oxley will be permanent..

It will be mentioned together with the pyramids in time to come.. 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7
  • Haha! 1