MPH returns.. may bookstores live forever

therock

Remember them? The bookstores? For many young people, the online store has been their source of books or just downloading a book is the norm. But for many of us in this forum of middle aged men, the hard copy is still king...

Good news for those of us who grew up with MPH or Malayan Publishing House.

I recall my childhood, accompanying my dad to Shenton Way and he plonks me in the MPH there while he goes to look at the stock exchange.. so it was a sad day to see them close. Amazon is great, but the physical bookstore is a treasure. I guess I have also helped in their demise, since I have not been there for a while...

But I will strive to visit them now 🙂

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/arts/mph-to-return-in-november-with-new-books-and-lifestyle-store-at-singpost-centre

SINGAPORE - Two months after closing its last outlet in Singapore, MPH Bookstores will make a comeback with a new concept store at SingPost Centre in Paya Lebar, expected to open in November.

Besides books, the 1,900 sq ft store will sell stationery and gifts from international lifestyle brands, snacks and beverages as well as offer services such as printing, computer rental and courier drop-off. In comparison, MPH's Raffles City outlet was 6,500 sq ft when it opened on the chain's centenary in 2006.

MPH had shut its outlets at Raffles City on July 28 and at Parkway Parade on Sept 1, citing high rental costs.

The closures were part of a wave that has hit nearly every major bookstore chain in Singapore this year, including Books Kinokuniya at Liang Court in April, Popular at Thomson Plaza in June and Times at Centrepoint today.

MPH group chief executive Donald Kee told The Straits Times: "We would like to reassure all our customers and business partners that MPH is still very much in the game. We still believe in the retailing of books and our passion in curating the best selection for our customers is still intact.

"The closure of (the Raffles City and Parkway Parade) stores was solely due to commercial reasons. We are moving forward to establish new concepts by adopting new retail technologies."

The stores here are operated by MPH Bookstores Singapore, a local entity owned by a Malaysian holding company.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

20 minutes ago, therock said:

I hope to see more such stores, maybe with a larger lifestyle / coffee section ala NTUC Finest at Vivo.. 

Vivo is ntuc xtra.. those coffee bakery grill on demand sections are like outsourced or sublet. Not sure if those business models work too

Lifestyle 1 retail 0.

Don't see how they can survive selling books, stationary and snacks alone. 

And how to make enough to pay the exorbitant rent when half your customers are sitting on valuable $20-30 psf real estate reading books for hours while having a $6 cuppa?  But I hope to be proven wrong.

• Praise 2

15 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

Serious ???? 

Wow i still remember  that shop in Shenton way 

I only remember the one beside old national library. I used to stand there reading books in Pri and sec school before Borders and kino took over. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 4

4 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I only remember the one beside old national library. I used to stand there reading books in Pri and sec school before Borders and kino took over. 

1 hand can count the number of time i went to nat library 😂 i dont read much during my pri sch days ... i cant rem was mph already there at then , even it was there i cant afford any book. 

I like kino ... i thought they have kinky jap books ... but bo lel ... disappointed.  😂

• Praise 5

39 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

My army days still have. Sometime Off-in-Lieu go there eat Wanton Mee, then go read flip magazines/books for a few hours.

Didn't know Borders & Kino ever been there 🙄

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Angcheek said:

1 hand can count the number of time i went to nat library 😂 i dont read much during my pri sch days ... i cant rem was mph already there at then , even it was there i cant afford any book. 

I like kino ... i thought they have kinky jap books ... but bo lel ... disappointed.  😂

Oooiii ..... U forgot huh ?? U oni studi upto Preambree 🌲 ...... yes after that you got into Jap stuff ,consperm correct that part 

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Othello said:

My army days still have. Sometime Off-in-Lieu go there eat Wanton Mee, then go read flip magazines/books for a few hours.

Didn't know Borders & Kino ever been there 🙄

no lah, i meant before i started hanging out at borders wheelock place cos borders had way more book selection to read

My best memory of MPH is winning a $50 voucher.

Pick up some Asterix and Obelix comic magazines and really love them as a young kid.

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Kb27 said:

My best memory of MPH is winning a $50 voucher.

Pick up some Asterix and Obelix comic magazines and really love them as a young kid.

asterix and obelix is timeless. I still read them on holidays. i have some scanned copies on my phone.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

asterix and obelix is timeless. I still read them on holidays. i have some scanned copies on my phone.

+1

I still keep all of them.. (well except the new stories which aren't part of the original). I also keep Tintin...

• Praise 3

Popular at Bras Basah also shrink and moved out 1 level(lvl 3) out of what used to be 3.5 levels. Now left 2.5 level. I think the rental is getting to them. 

Retail wise like Isetan they are moving out of Westgate. Realized they are having moving out sale over the weekend. They have several levels of retail and one level of supermarket at the basement. Rental fee must be quite substantial.

Also went to Orchard recently. Places like Tangs and Metro Paragon not much ppl around. M&S wheel lock I look at the casual clothes and PJ they are selling at so ex. I mean at times like this...It's crazy.

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Popular at Bras Basah also shrink and moved out 1 level(lvl 3) out of what used to be 3.5 levels. Now left 2.5 level. I think the rental is getting to them. 

Retail wise like Isetan they are moving out of Westgate. Realized they are having moving out sale over the weekend. They have several levels of retail and one level of supermarket at the basement. Rental fee must be quite substantial.

Also went to Orchard recently. Places like Tangs and Metro Paragon not much ppl around. M&S wheel lock I look at the casual clothes and PJ they are selling at so ex. I mean at times like this...It's crazy.

M&S clothes have always been expensive. Though their quality is a bit better than most fast fashion chains. 

But the foodstuffs at M&S is really worth the money. The cookies etc. 

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

M&S clothes have always been expensive. Though their quality is a bit better than most fast fashion chains. 

But the foodstuffs at M&S is really worth the money. The cookies etc. 

Yeah. We like the kids' PJ and casual clothes.

True. They have more shoppers in the food dept. LoL...

• Praise 1

19 hours ago, Angcheek said:

Oei....  :omg:

You can't find any pono books in public library hor ... :a-noway:

Maybe in your own private library collections ... :we-all-gonna-die:

↡ Advertisement